PDA

View Full Version : Technical Question

smokn_willie
25 October 2002, 05:10 AM
Is there an automatic log out after short periods of inactivity? It seems like if I don't type anything or change screens for 5 minutes I get logged off.

Chris Curtis
25 October 2002, 05:59 AM
There is a session time-out, but I'm pretty sure it's something more like 30 minutes than it is 5 minutes.

In my experience, though, it starts "counting" from when you first log on. So if you've been browsing for 26 minutes and then take 5 minutes to compose a post, you'd have gone over the 30 minute limit.

Of course, I don't remember ever running into problems posting due to the session limit. The only effect I've noticed from an expired session is that threads I might not have gotten to yet are no longer marked "new". Just my experience.

Jan Tolbara
2 November 2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Chris Curtis
There is a session time-out, but I'm pretty sure it's something more like 30 minutes than it is 5 minutes.

Interesting, considering I never get logged out. I have been known to walk away from the computer for 1-2 hours, come back and pick up where I left off without logging back on.

One thing I could suggest is to go into the User Control Panel, cllick Edit Options and play with the Login, Cookies & Privacy settings. Mine are currently set at no, yes, no and no.

Hope that helps!

Grimace
2 November 2002, 05:18 PM
All in all, I've come to the conclusion that the automatic log-out randomly affects people. I'm one that has to worry about being logged off in the middle of a really long post. I just get into the habit of copying the text before I click the "submit reply" button, that way if I find out I'm not logged on, I can still post my reply once I DO log back on.

I'm not sure what causes the problem, and I know that there are others who have the same problem. So hang in there smokn willie.

Reverend Strone
2 November 2002, 07:05 PM
I just get into the habit of copying the text before I click the "submit reply" button, that way if I find out I'm not logged on, I can still post my reply once I DO log back on.

Totally offtopic- so I'll be brief- but funny I think.

That's a problem I have occasionally too, so like Grimace I've adopted the copy before I submit policy too. Only thing is, I'm the world's uncoordinated typist, and on numerous occasions after typing out a huge post I've gone to hit Ctrl C only to discover I accidentally hit the C a fraction of a second before Ctrl- Goodbye long and laboriouslt typed out post, Hello small letter c and very sad and foolish feeling Reverend Strone.

Jan Tolbara
2 November 2002, 07:46 PM
You can always reverse that by typing Ctrl-Z to reverse your last action. Just take your time doing it, or you WILL lose what you typed.

It works. I tested it on this post before posting it. :)