PDA

View Full Version : Separatists = Rebellion?

Obi-Two Kenobi
25 October 2002, 08:15 AM
I donít know if this idea has been discussed on other threads (apologies), but Iíve been pondering an idea. As the Republic gave birth to the Empire (messy), does anybody else think itís a likely plot development that the Separatists somehow evolve into the Rebellion? That would be a neat way to bring the story into the future that we know, the Rebellion is really a continuation of the Separatists fight against the Republic; their conflict has never really ended!!!

Reverend Strone
25 October 2002, 01:51 PM
I guess it would make sense that a number of individuals from those secessionist worlds who suffered most after the Empire rose would be eager to join any anti-Imperial movement. I would imagine though, that the Rebellion's founders would also be wary of seeming to endorse any political agendas other than freeing the galaxy from the oppressive grip of the Empire. For that reason, I would imagine they might be wary of alligning themselves to visibly with forces or interests associated with beginning the Clone wars.

Then again, when you're facing such overwhelming odds, any help is help right?

This could be the subject of some very cool "birth of the Rebellion" gaming, with PCs playing a small group of dissidents trying to establish a revel movement early in the Empire's reign. At that stage, support r the Empire might still be quite strong in the wider Galactic community (we'll have to wait for Ep III to know), so perhaps rather than one rebel movement, we'd see a number of smaller ones, each with their own agendas. The PCs could try to unite these factions, among whom could be Trade Federation types and their ilk? It might be fun having the PCs try and balance the needs and desires of all these groups and try to establish what the true identity and principles of the new Rebellion will be.

Treefrog
28 October 2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
I guess it would make sense that a number of individuals from those secessionist worlds who suffered most after the Empire rose would be eager to join any anti-Imperial movement.

The only problem with that is that one of the original architects of the Alliance to Restore the Republic is a loyalist of the same institution in AOTC. Bail Organa is on the side of the loyalists, and wasn't it Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, and Garm Bel Iblis the original architects?

Reverend Strone
28 October 2002, 05:21 PM
Hmmm, good point Treefrog. It's never cut and dry is it?

Then again, there aren't really any folks at the time of AOTC who really see the big picture. I think once the Empire is revealed to be what it is, many individuals and organisations will be rethinking their agendas and finding unlikely allies in former political enemies. I suppose that's waht makes it such an interesting time, and I suspect Ep III will only go so far in tying up the many loose ends.

I predict that with the release of Ep III will come an explosion of new novels and other EU material dedicated to plugging that gap of years between Eps III and IV. It'll open up a whole new era to explore, and with it being the last SW movie, the writers will be free to expand the SW Universe without fear of being contradicted or over-ruled. Loads of fun to be had there linking the trilogies.

Treefrog
28 October 2002, 08:35 PM
It'll open up a whole new era to explore, and with it being the last SW movie, the writers will be free to expand the SW Universe without fear of being contradicted or over-ruled. Loads of fun to be had there linking the trilogies.

When I was at Celebration II, a staffer of the event mentioned that maybe with enough people asking him, Mr. Lucas might be inclined to finish Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

So what do you say, should we start a petition to get them finished, or what?

dgswensen
29 October 2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Treefrog
When I was at Celebration II, a staffer of the event mentioned that maybe with enough people asking him, Mr. Lucas might be inclined to finish Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

So what do you say, should we start a petition to get them finished, or what?

Personally, I would have to say no. I thought the original trilogy was a very satisfying story. The prequels, although fun in their own right, just muddy up the waters for me. I like them, I watch them, I'll own them, but I would have been pretty okay with them not being made, either.

The story to me is really about the rise and fall of Anakin / Vader. With him gone at the end of ROTJ, and the Emperor dead, there's really nothing more to say, as far as I'm concerned.

Reverend Strone
29 October 2002, 01:54 PM
Puts on his Moderator cap...

We're getting a little off topic here, but it's an interesting discussion nonetheless. Treefrog, do you perhaps want to start a new thread about this in Rumors and Speculation?

You may also wish to check out the discussion on this thread-
http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8819
It delves in to similar territory, as many others have in the past.

Enjoy!

We'll keep this thread active to continue [B]Obi-Two Kenobi[B]'s original discussion starter.

Ardent
30 October 2002, 05:31 AM
Insofar as I can gather, the rebellion began with dissidents each forming small military forces and slowly stockpiling and collecting favors from there. Each group knew it stood no chance individually to defeat the full might of the Empire, so the groups began to conduct meetings together and that's how we ended up with the Alliance to Restore the Republic.

I agree with the good Reverend that it would be an interesting time to be alive. ;)

A major misconception I see often is that Bel Iblis played a large role in the Alliance. This isn't true. Bel Iblis pledged his fleet (consisting of Katana-fleet dreadnaughts and otherwise acquired (antiquated) warships) to the Rebel Alliance, but removed himself from the Alliance prior to the fleet buildup at Sullust and did not participate in any of the "major" battles we see in the original trilogy.

Bel Iblis is famous as the Corellian Senator who replaced Senator Solo (speculation leads that this might be Han's father or mother), and then as the warleader who rejoins the Alliance just in time for the New Republic to be formed. His fleet was always welcome to the Alliance, as was his tactical brilliance. Bel Iblis served right up to Destiny's Way as a General, and was in charge of an entire fleet group (Nova Spice would know which).

I walked away a little here, but I think the point remains the same.

Nova Spice
30 October 2002, 04:08 PM
Hey Ardent, just thought I'd go ahead and mention that Bel Iblis is in charge of Fleet Group Two during the NJO.

Personally I tend to think that Ardent may have a very valid point in that the Alliance to Restore the Republic was a combining of many, many resistance groups against the Empire. I would imagine the original three founders: Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and Garm Bel Iblis probably at some point used the same philosophy the Separatists used, but I'm still skeptical that the Separatists are the Rebellion.

I guess we'll have to wait until Episode III. ;) :D

Obi-Two Kenobi
31 October 2002, 12:50 PM
. . but we all know how George Lucas is walking all over the EU, so I'd consider it a definate possibility (chances quite high).

Treefrog
31 October 2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Ardent

A major misconception I see often is that Bel Iblis played a large role in the Alliance. This isn't true. Bel Iblis pledged his fleet (consisting of Katana-fleet dreadnaughts and otherwise acquired (antiquated) warships) to the Rebel Alliance, but removed himself from the Alliance prior to the fleet buildup at Sullust and did not participate in any of the "major" battles we see in the original trilogy.

As Timothy Zahn wrote, Bel Iblis actually removed himself and his forces from the Alliance when he was convinced that Mon Mothma was trying to grab as much power as possible. Supposedly Bail Organa had a large mediating influence between Mon Mothma and Bel Iblis. And after he was killed in the Death Star attack on Alderaan, that mediation was gone. The exact time and place was never mentioned.

No one else has mentioned it that Bel Iblis was the one who convinced the three largest cells to form an alliance.

Reverend Strone
31 October 2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Treefrog
No one else has mentioned it that Bel Iblis was the one who convinced the three largest cells to form an alliance.

Any mention in the literature of what those three cells were or who their most prominent representatives/founders were?

Ardent
1 November 2002, 06:51 PM
Any mention in the literature of what those three cells were or who their most prominent representatives/founders were?

Bel Iblis led what would become Peregrine's Nest, Mon Mothma was the leader of another faction and Bail Organa the leader of the third.

Reverend Strone
1 November 2002, 08:36 PM
Thanks gents. I know I should know this, but does that information come from the Tim Zahn novels or somewhere else?

Codym
2 November 2002, 01:03 AM
It sounds exactly how Zahn explained it in the Heir To The Empire trilogy. As far as I know, LucasFilm is trying to keep that as cannon as possible (see various reports on the www.holonetnews.com website) because the start of the rebellion will probably only be hinted at in Episode III, if mentioned at all.