PDA

View Full Version : Episode 4 - 6 DVD's

Wedge in Red2
1 November 2002, 04:48 AM
Okay, I'm sure I'd heard that Lucas wasn't going to release ANH, ESB and ROTJ on DVD until after the completion of Episode 3. However, I have heard a rumour from a guy who works doing inventory in a Video/DVD retailer that there is a 3 disc SW Box set out soon. He assures me it is Ep's 4-6.

Does anyone know anything else about this? :raised:

All I can say is "about time" :). Hopefully I can substantiate this rumour, I will try and keep people informed by posting any more info I find here.

Fingers crossed :D.

Jon

Jim Williams
1 November 2002, 04:56 AM
Well, it would help him pay for making EpIII, so there's logic to it.

However, like you I'm sure, I have my doubts (sob).

Seghast
1 November 2002, 05:01 AM
If the rumor isn't true, I vote that we all riot. Or rebel against the LucasArts Empire, forcing Emperor George to release the Holy Trilogy on DVD or else. I'd be happy to personally lead a trench run all the way to Skywalker Ranch, even if we have to make the bloody trench ourselves.

Actually, I heard something about a Star Wars "Ultimate Edition." It may or may not be the same thing. My friend Adrian probably knows more about it than me (being the huge movie freak he is), so I'll ask him what he's heard, and check back in here.

scottyboy
1 November 2002, 05:06 AM
As awesome as it would be to have the DVD's NOW, I also heard the same thing. About them not being released until after Ep.III. I heard that after the last movie is made, they're going to release sort of a "super box set", with all six DVD's plus one or two disc's full of extra material. In which case, that would be pretty awesome too. Even knowing that though, I would LOVE to see them come out sooner!

Wedge in Red2
1 November 2002, 05:16 AM
Check out this link which my friend sent me:

Blackstar Video (http://www.blackstar.co.uk/circle/search?to_display=20&ob=pop&j=&f=both&o=20&words=star+wars)

It says release dates of 9th December (as compared to Ep 3, which it says Nov 2005). As it doesn't specify a year, it could be assumed that it means this year (also, it specifies a date, where as Ep 3 it only gives a month). However, if you click on any of the links, the page they take you to says "No DVD release date currently known for this title".

So, in conclusion, the evidence is inconclusive. Stay tuned, fingers crossed! :D

Jon

Edit note: After further inspection of the site, it could be bogus. If you change the drop down box at the top from "Video and DVD" to "DVD" then you're left with 3 entries: Ep1, Ep1 widescreen and Ep2. So maybe the Ep4-6 entry is video only...oh well, it's all rumour and speculations. Sorry if I got anyones hopes up...I know mine were :(

Reverend Strone
1 November 2002, 03:13 PM
I'm highly skeptical about this one Wedge. As much as I'd like it to be true, I don't think it is. I'll do some digging too and see what I can find out through various sources, but I'm pretty sure if it was even remotely likely we'd be hearing all about it from official sources.

Of course, I've been wrong before, and I sure would like to be this time!

Bombaatu
4 November 2002, 10:36 PM
I, too, have heard both "Christmas of this year" and "not until after Ep. III"... I will take any rumor with a grain of salt until it appears on the official site.

That having been said, I *have* seen that John Williams is re-scoring Ep. IV to make it more consistent with the rest of the movies. In particular, he is introducing the Imperial March into it. (Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I saw that tidbit of info, but my brain is insisting it was an official or semi-official source).

If that is the case, I can only assume he is doing it for either A) yet another theatrical release or B) the DVD. Draw your own conclusions...

mojo1701
1 December 2002, 11:19 AM
Yeah, the whole 6 DVD set is good, but do u have any idea how nuch money we'd have to waste on the other ones that most of us already have?

dgswensen
1 December 2002, 11:44 AM
You don't have to spend another penny on Star Wars for as long as you live.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

mojo1701
1 December 2002, 12:31 PM
Yeah, you're right, but I hope we can choose only 4-6, not 1-6, though.

Otherwise, you're right

dgswensen
1 December 2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by mojo1701
I hope we can choose only 4-6, not 1-6, though.

Well THAT part I agree with 100%.

Bishop
7 January 2003, 12:04 PM
I stoped buying the movies after 4-6 SE on vhs. and i'm not going to buy any till the last one is out and there all in one set.

Talon Razor 'GM'
7 January 2003, 12:36 PM
I doubt the rumor also. Though thanks Wedge for keeping us informed.

I would love a 1-6 Box Set with 10 DVDs!! Boo Ya. I bet they will do 1-3 sets, 4-6 sets and a collecter edition 1-6 box set. Oh and seperate DVDs for each movie. Look at LOTR. It has a normal DVD, a Special Edition DVD and a Collecter Edition Box Set. (Which I want to get my hands on!)

Wedge in Red2
13 January 2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Talon Razor 'GM'
I doubt the rumor also. Though thanks Wedge for keeping us informed.

Yeah, the link now lists the titles as "unavailable", so this is officially a dead rumour. My previous post mentioned a 9th December release date, which is well past. Alas :(.

Jon

Otonashi
24 January 2003, 10:45 AM
DVD versions of all 5 SW movies can be found right now on ebay.
I don't know how official the 4-6 movies are, but they claim to be done in 5.1 stereo. They are the special edition version..

mojo1701
24 January 2003, 10:57 AM
Maybe, Otonashi, but I'd rather have all 6 together. The only one right now I have is TPM on VHS, and I was gonna buy AotC on DVD< but thought that it's better to wait.

I did for FotR Ext. DVD, and I'm glad. All my friends have the regular version, and I have the Extended one! Suckers! :P

FULONGAMER
24 January 2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Talon Razor 'GM'
Look at LOTR. It has a normal DVD, a Special Edition DVD and a Collecter Edition Box Set. (Which I want to get my hands on!)

Don't EVEN get me started. I'm well and truly frelled off at the LOTR people for the specific way they have bowed to the "DVD Extras" market and produced "Scenes IN the movie FILMED specifically FOR DVD release". Special editions and director's cuts are one thing, but extending the actual movie only for the DVD crowd is going too far.

I took my Mid-Tour leave from Korea specifically to get back to the USA for Episode 2. If Lucas tried something like that he would (quite rightly) be drug into the street and beat. If I'm going to lay down the prohibitive expense for a First Run premiere show of a movie in a theater, I EXPECT THE WHOLE SITH BLASTED MOVIE (ya scruffy lookin' orc boinker).

It was bad enough the ripoff that happened with T2, where the premiere week was a 2 1/2 hr movie, but the following general release weeks were only 2 hr. Then the 1st video comes out at 2:15 before the Director's Cut finally gets it back to the original 2:30.

A movie of LOTR's scope and quality should be a Film First. It's not a Direct to Video skimp product. The Film presentation of a movie should be the superior experience. Not reduced to a DVD bonus.

GAAHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!

mojo1701
24 January 2003, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I agree with ya 100%, FULONGAMER. It is a ripoff. That's why I don't buy a movie when it first comes out, unless it's not a big movie like LotR or Star Wars. That's also why I waited for the FotR ext. and wait for the whole series of Star Wars out on DVD.

dgswensen
24 January 2003, 12:18 PM
Interesting points, FULONGAMER.

One thing in New Line's defense is that they were very up front about having two editions of the DVD and made it very clear in their press releases that they would have a special edition a few months after the vanilla edition. They did not spring it as a surprise on anyone.

Another thing to keep in mind is that everyone who is going to buy the LOTR movie is not a drooling fanboy. They don't care about extra footage or added scenes, or commentary, and might not even care about letterbox vs. pan and scan. They just want a cheap vanilla DVD so they can watch the show every once in a while.

The theatrical release of LOTR stands on its own as a film. It's three hours long and quite complete as-is, and very excellent. The scenes added for the DVD are purely gratuitous. They are there to please the fans who want more of the movie, not inconvenience people.

And at least you have the option to choose which version of the film you want. The Aliens DVD contains a few minutes of extra footage that I think weaken the film. But there's no option to watch the original theatrical release like in other releases. You're just stuck.

VixenofVenus
24 January 2003, 01:35 PM
gotta disagree with you dgswensen ... but only on the part about the directors cut of Aliens ... it rocks. While the 'Hey, what's your first name' scene towards the end is kinda weak ... I'll definitely trade that for the scene with Newt's parents at the beginning!

dgswensen
24 January 2003, 05:18 PM
I find the extra scenes in Aliens interesting, but I'd rather have been able to divorce them from the movie. I feel the strength of Aliens is in its breakneck pace and suspense, and all the added scenes just slow it down.

Also, the scene with Newt's parents, while neat, changes the fate of the colony from an unknown to pretty much a known, which to me ruins some of the surprise when you first see all the Alien(s) for the first time.

But I understand where you're coming from. Everyone disagrees with me on this. :)

Talonne Hauk
24 January 2003, 06:58 PM
What I heard is that after Episode III is released, Lucas plans on rereleasing Episodes IV - VI. That is why John Williams is rescoring Episode IV. That's also why when I hear a rumor that a Prequel Trilogy actor/actress is slated to have a scene filmed for later inclusion in the original trilogy, it carries a little more weight than your standard rumor. Because it's not exactly unheard of for George to tinker with his movies, right?;)
Anyhow, the DVD's are supposed to be released concurrently with the films rereleases. Whether the films and DVD's will be released one at a time or altogether, I don't know.

davidgeisbush
27 January 2003, 01:51 PM
I understand there are DVD's available for movies 4-6 available in Malaysia. I also understand their quality is good, at least as good as a VCD.

mojo1701
27 January 2003, 01:53 PM
Well, davidgeisbush, I'm looking for DVD quality, and available in Canada...