PDA

View Full Version : Yo Da Man Commericals?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
1 November 2002, 02:28 PM
Does anyone else thing that these commericals are a little too cheesy?

Reverend Strone
1 November 2002, 02:36 PM
Yo Da Man Commercials? :rolleyes: You gotta be kidding me.

Is that something they're doing over there in the States to hype the DVD and VHS release? Sounds tacky.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
1 November 2002, 02:51 PM
They say stuff like "Own the first Perfect Clone*" and they mostly show everyone's favorite green Jedi Master hoping around. They also digitally make Yoda grab a copy of the AotC when he is doing the Force fight with Dooku.

Reverend Strone
1 November 2002, 03:18 PM
Oh dear...

Nova Spice
1 November 2002, 06:01 PM
Only in America Rev, only in America. :D

Ardent
1 November 2002, 06:45 PM
I thought it was hilarious. Of course, it's indicative of American sales theory. Big, flashy, catch-phrase. Good thing I'm going to buy it anyway, huh? ;)

dgswensen
1 November 2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by FrobiWanKenobi
They say stuff like "Own the first Perfect Clone*" and they mostly show everyone's favorite green Jedi Master hoping around. They also digitally make Yoda grab a copy of the AotC when he is doing the Force fight with Dooku.

Wow, this makes me so glad I don't watch television at all. Just hearing about that is enough to make me doubly careful to stay away.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
1 November 2002, 11:46 PM
Here (http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.shtml#18598) is a link to download them from TF.N.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
2 November 2002, 08:41 AM
Wow, I've never seen these commercials. Am I not watching enough television?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
2 November 2002, 09:52 AM
I saw them twice yesterday while watching comedy central.

D. Lobkowicz
3 November 2002, 02:13 PM
The pull for sales have sunken to a new low.. oy.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
3 November 2002, 10:39 PM
I just saw one of these aforementioned commercials. It was worse than expected.
*yelling indignantly *
I swear to yee, it was the work of Lucifer himself!

Ravager_of_worlds
4 November 2002, 06:55 AM
ugh.

it reminds me of the action figure commercials with the kung fu grip (can a kung fu grip open a can of beans or just a Star Wars II Attack of the Clones DVD?). I'd swear that those things were rubberstamped by LucasCronies. The font is horrible, the yellow is... cheezy?... and the announcer... hmmm.

where did 'you da man' come from?

usually, to be a trend setter, other media and publications emulate the trend setter. Art has imitators, it doesn't imitate others. It may continue a conversation in art (llike art that questions and a piece that 'answers'). You'd have Tony Danza saying "Join me Samantha, and together we can rule this house as father and daughter." Not the Yoda's Da Man.

Star Wars has certainly lost quite a bit of itself from Episode IV to... this. It emulates society with cheap one liners and an appeal for the popular dollar. I suppose if we wanted Art though, we'd go to a museum. I'm thinking Star Wars has gone from trend setter to... something less.

ranix65
4 November 2002, 01:12 PM
The Star Wars franchise has sunk to a new low. Consequently, I will now kidnap George Lucas and take over the helm of Star Wars. Also, we will now have a 3rd trilogy.

PLEASE NOTE: the post before this point was a joke. WEll, everything except that jazz about how Star Wars sucks now.

Ah well, at least we'll always have our RPG to craft our own stories, most of them fitting successors to the original trilogy.

Paul Klein
4 November 2002, 04:45 PM
Geeze guys, its not THAT bad! Yeah, its total camp, and yes, it bothers me that they show a huge chunk of one of the biggest surprises in the movie (Yoda kicking the Count's ass), but that's marketing! Make it BIG, colorful and LOUD and it will get people's attention, and they will buy it.

Kobayashi_Maru
7 November 2002, 12:34 PM
As like with most commercials geared towards the American populas, I have only one word to describe the "Yo da Man" commercials: CRAP !!