PDA

View Full Version : New Design Changes

Armage Bedar
2 November 2002, 07:10 AM
Yep, I've made some changes to the way threads are displayed. I hope they're easier to read, a bit more interesting, and nicer to look at. There are a few tweaks I need to make, so please bring any problems to my attention.

I've also made the rating box be completely pop-up based. You must click "Rate!" beside a user's post to rate them, instead of using the drop down box. Many people were having problems with that box not launching the proper page for giving a reason for rating. Apologies if this inconveniences anyone, but I don't think it really will. I had to rewrite a good portion of the rating code to fit this new method, though. If you notice a bug, post it here so I can take care of it.

I'll be making other changes, as usual. Look for that option to turn off notification of ratings in your profile very soon.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
2 November 2002, 10:39 AM
Two Thumbs Up Armage! Great redesign.

Grimace
2 November 2002, 11:12 AM
Hey,Armage, I don't know if it's just me, but when I try to rate someone from their Profile, I get the message "You did not specify a valid user." Rating people works fine if I just rate them from a post, but from the Profile, there's that hiccup. Anyone else getting that?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
2 November 2002, 11:50 AM
I get that too Grimace.

One thing that I noticed was that those without special titles like Moderator or Webmaster are listed as Unaligned. Wouldn't just something like Member be a little more representative? Just a suggestion Armage.

Reverend Strone
2 November 2002, 12:28 PM
From a purely aesthetic point of view, I reckon it looks great Armage, and is somewat easier to make out.

Good work once again.

Jan Tolbara
2 November 2002, 01:31 PM
I like the new look, Armage. It is much easier to read and understand. I think it will help out with a number of things, like letting users that get out of line know that a moderator (and not just another user) is telling them to straighten up.

On another note, I do agree with Frobi's suggestion to have something else in the Position field. Maybe something like Member or even Citizen.

Armage Bedar
2 November 2002, 01:40 PM
Fixed that profile bug, <b>Grimace</b>.

And yeah, "Member" sounds much better. I eventually plan to have it list forums that particular moderators and webmasters govern here on the HoloNet.

Jan Tolbara
2 November 2002, 02:38 PM
It looks much better now with "Member" listed there. Thanks, Armage.

Jan Tolbara
2 November 2002, 03:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there any particular purpose to having different colors for the different positions? I noticed a difference between myself and Frobi. Both of us are listed as Webmaster. But, mine is listed in blue, while his is red. No big deal; I'm just curious.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
2 November 2002, 04:12 PM
I think that:

Red = Rebel
Yellow = Pirate
Blue = Imperial

Rouge8
2 November 2002, 06:46 PM
I think that the font for the sides are a bit to big.

Jan Tolbara
2 November 2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by FrobiWanKenobi
Red = Rebel
Yellow = Pirate
Blue = Imperial

Duh! Uh huh. Uh huh. Dat makes good sense! ;)

Thanks, Frobi. I feel like an idiot now, but thanks for telling me.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
2 November 2002, 08:19 PM
No Problem Jan; sometimes I discount things when they are way too apparent because they are way too apparent.

Dr_Worm
3 November 2002, 11:46 AM
I like the mechaics quite a bit, but to be honest I really dislike the new look. I think it is much less stylish, and more webby. I personally like a web page that looks like a well designed printed page, and the new changes seem to loose that feel.

Not that it makes much difference as it is the content that makes this site so great, and what drwas us back again and again.

MasterRendal
6 November 2002, 08:51 PM
I appreciate the hard work you put into the streamlined modifications you made. Thank you Armage!!

8o :D