PDA

View Full Version : I need some ideas

Mr. Fett
2 November 2002, 04:48 PM
I recently took on the responsibility of GM and could use some help, ideas, tips, tricks, etc... Any help would be valued greatly. Thanks in advance.

Grimace
2 November 2002, 05:01 PM
Well, what you are asking is quite vague. Could you be a bit more specific in what you are looking for? Do you need a campaign idea? Do you need pointers on how to be a GM?

If you can give us a better idea of what you need, we can give you some advice along those lines.

Sabre
2 November 2002, 05:08 PM
If you've just started GMing, I suggest that you take some time and find what style you're most comfortable with, and what works with your players. If you already know what works with your players (because you've played with them before for example) then you have a good idea of where to start. My recommendation is that you think of a good storyline, start it off slow, know where you want it to end and a few points about what you want to happen in between, then connect the dots so to speak.
Try to find some house rules that you like and put them into effect from the start if that's possible.
Don't bother pleasing everyone, because that isn't going to happen. Make sure you have fun as the GM or you'll get tired of it and go back to playing.
Of course there's a GM section in most rulebooks, and they put it there for a reason. It has a number of tips and tricks from the people who wrote the book on the system. Literally.
As for ideas... the Holonet is full of them. SWRPGNetwork is full of them. And those are only two web pages. Check out the reviewed sites and follow links from page to page. You'll find something.

ElfWord
3 November 2002, 08:34 AM
There is a newsletter called roleplaying tips weekly which you can subscribe to at www.roleplayingtips.com which contains a large variety of GM-oriented tips. Everything from NPC creation to building suspense.

Mr. Fett
3 November 2002, 02:54 PM
I apologize for not being pecise about what I was asking for. What I meant was I could use ideas for adventures and campaigns. I would also like to know things that further increase the experiance of roleplaying , and things that have improved your games. Thank you again.

Consul Vido
3 November 2002, 07:03 PM
Well, get as much feedback from your players as you can about what eras and types of characters interest them. You don't need to neccesarily use all of their input, but it will give you a more solid basis on what sort of adventuring they would prefer to do.

scottyboy
4 November 2002, 04:38 AM
You should definitely get as much feedback from your players as possible. Just ask them what they thought of the adventure after every night of gaming. It's that easy. What they liked, what they didn't like, that kind of stuff. Also, you should definitely strongly encourage ROLEPLAYING. I've played in several campaigns where the players just act like they would normally act in real life. The point is, they're not playing themselves, they're playing characters in the SWU. They need to immerse themselves in their characters, so that they can accurately play whatever type of character they are playing. Now, there are many different ways you could do this. It could be as easy as just talking to them. Or getting them to develop their character's backgrounds as detailed as they can. Or you could give experience bonus's for good roleplaying. You could do a number of things. But I would say that this is the single most important thing in RPGing. If they don't play their characters well, they'll get bored of them. Then you run the chance of them not really wanting to play anymore. Well, I hope that this helped at least a little. It's just my take on the question.

blemelisk
4 November 2002, 06:13 AM
i agree always reward good roleplaying, i have people in my group who just "shoot and move" and that is all they do. just react to the situation these people's character wont go far in my campain. cause it is less fun for the rest of the group. they do not interact with NPCs and do not try to well u know do anything but shoot at bad guys and move away. this for me is very boring i might as well be playing Warhammer or something (which I DO NOT WANT TO DO lol). some on the other hand do things "incharacter" which is good. they Roleplay very well and i reward them for that (not in experience but in character points, though we play d20) they can turn in those character points for money, a skill increase and things of that nature.
always keep the action moving and the story flowing, this is hard i had a hard time with it but ull get better with time. and dont always make everything about combat. Combat is very much apart of the starwars universe it is fun and exciting but.. it is not everything. add things such as converstions with NPCs like an investigation or diplomacy. or some type of technical job such as repairing a ship or speeder. However that is what i do u may not want to do that. if all of ur people like the "shoty up bang band" game then well let it be that as long as u r having fun.

the main point is this: have fun, u as the GM, and the others as PCs. it is the whole reason for playing. if u and them enjoy doing lil nicknacs that are not dangerous, or if u and ur group love the be in combat then well that should take up most of the gaming time. if u are all having fun doing whatever it is in the game u enjoy then by all means that is what u all should do. that is the reason people play roleplaying games to begin with. so if u and ur group are having fun then u r doing a good job as the GM.

Nova Spice
4 November 2002, 04:41 PM
My advise is to properly plan and map out your campaign so you at least have a "start point" and a "finish line." Utilize your PC's backgrounds to propel the story along and to fill any missing gaps in your campaign outline.

Make sure you set a theme for the campaign: (dark, serious, comical, adventurous, combination, tragedy, etc.) and remember to stay to the theme of the campaign from beginning to end.

And if I were you, I'd probably go ahead and make stats for the major villains in the campaign as well as create any special maps for those epic battles. :D

Good luck Mr. Fett! ;)

Mr. Fett
6 November 2002, 06:05 PM
Thank You all very much. The help is greatly appreciated. The help has helped me a great deal. I hope I become a member as helpful as you all.

Arcome
27 November 2002, 02:47 AM
If you want to be mean to a jedi char, have a sith pull away his lightsaber, use drain energy, then giev it back. It is now effectivly a crytal holder, the only way it can do damage is if he throws it, hehe.-- Arcome

Dr_Worm
27 November 2002, 09:53 AM
My advice would be to look at this forum from the beginging and check out all the "GM needs Help" type threads. Many of us have written extensive replies in those and, like me, may not have time to write them again. Sorry for my laziness, but if you take the time you will not regert it.

On a side note: Grimace...would it be possible to compile some of those old threads and post them as "Important"?

PadawanJohn
29 November 2002, 01:33 PM
This isn't my idea originally, but I've found it to be quite helpful.

Go buy a stack of 50 or 100 index cards. The 3" x 5" index cards you can find most anywhere.

Okay, I got ahead of myself. We've all played Monopoly, right? Well, no matter what else is going on at the table - laughing, joking, eating - whenever someone stops to draw one of those Chance or Community Chest cards, everything stops. Every single person at the table wants to see the result of drawing that card.

This same principle applies to RPGs. Everyone will, at some point, become distracted. Therefore, have a stack of index cards with ready-made encounters on them: a dozen StormTroopers, a pirate raid, bounty hunters, annoying customs officials, etc. - whatever fits your campaign. Should the conversation head away from the game, slowly and dramaticly draw one of these cards. Everyone will stop to check the reaction on your face.

I've used this method with remarkable effectiveness. It doesn't matter what else is going on. When I pull that card, everyone stops and re-focuses on the game.

Part of the challenge was getting those two squads of StormTroopers into the Rebel base undetected . . . B)