PDA

View Full Version : For those who involve Boba Fett

ElfWord
3 November 2002, 07:08 PM
I have a question for any of you GMs who use Boba Fett in your games: What history do you use for him?
I mean, Episode II is canon material and all, and it gives him the history of being the son of Jango Fett.
But in the EU, he has the history of an exiled Journeyman Protector from the world of Concord Dawn.
Which do you or would you use?
Personally, I like the EU history.

dgswensen
3 November 2002, 09:52 PM
This may sound strange, but... neither. One of the major attractions for Boba Fett to me is his mystery. He's a man of few words, and his history isn't all that important -- if he's after you, you better start running; if he's your competition, you'd better worry more about covering your own assets.

I thought both versions of Boba's history diluted the attractiveness of his mystery. Seeing the "adorable little tyke Boba Fett" just does not seem real to me at all.

Marusame
3 November 2002, 09:55 PM
Wasn't the Journeyman history in a 'tales' novel, meaning that it isn't true? Anyhow I go by what Georgey puts out, then take what of the EU that I like. ;)

Nemo Sage
3 November 2002, 11:31 PM
Heya,

The way I've looked recently at the differences in the boba fett history, is just like verble kent telling the story of Kyser Sozai (however thats spelled) in the usual suspects. Theres some truth there, but its hard to see it for what it is.
Part of boba fett's appel has been that mystery, and so having these various, often conradicting stories, jsut adds to that mystery. If you asked him, I'm sure he would answer the questions in such a way to tell you what you want to hear. If you want to believe he's a former stormtrooper, or a journyman protector, or the clone of a mercenary from the clone wars, it doesn't matter to him, really, just as long as it helps bring in those credits.

I mean for all we know, that clone started as boba fett, but was killed along the way, and that former stormtrooper adopted the armor, who found his own Firespray-class ship, only painted red insted of blue. Or not...

At least, thats how I look at it.

~nemo

Codym
3 November 2002, 11:43 PM
I never go into his past, as he considers it "off limits." However, I do use Tem Morrison's discription for his physical appearence out of armor (my players are currently work for him, but think he's someone else.)

Rogue Janson
4 November 2002, 02:17 PM
In prequel era, I can't see how you can get away with not ditching the EU version of events.
In Rebellion era, I can't see how it would become particularly relevant - virtually no-one save Boba would know anything about his history. As the GM I wouldn't even think about deliberately making it relevant.
In NR/NJO era, the same goes, except we have a new problem (provided we accept his survival) - when does Boba Fett die?
He's around in Dark Empire, but not after that. There is a story in one of the tales... books where Han and Fett have guns to each others' head and are in situation where presumably one of them is going to get killed (and this is the clear intention of the story - that there's not going to be some kind of last minute intervention). But there's no indication in the story of the time, other than both han and fett are moderately 'old'.

Arcome
19 November 2002, 01:13 PM
The main thing that is good about Boba Fett is that nobady knows much about him at all. He uses that for an advanage, if people knew his backgound they might think that they can relate to him and like him, or at least be less afraid. I'd have to agree that no background, is a good background.--Arcome

Fred Getce
19 November 2002, 01:49 PM
Common mistake I see. There is a BIG difference from player and gm knowledge to player character and non-player character knowledge.

We as fans have seen the movie, but your player's characters' would not know Boba's "real" past. They may very well believe all the rumors about the bounty hunter named Boba Fett. They could be in a bar somewhere and hear he is a dishonored Storm trooper from the Empire, or a Protectorate from Concord Dawn, and the one rumor that is whispered in dark alleys is that Boba Fett was killed some time ago and his killer, a women, is masscuerading as him now. So for your campaign use whatever one you want and don't sweat it.