PDA

View Full Version : alternate timelines

RoyalGuard
5 November 2002, 05:22 AM
Having read Star Wars Infinities A New Hope (interesting but rushed IMO) and played in a rebel based campaign where Luke missed entirely, I enjoy the occasional jaunt into a short term alternate timeline campaign.

Potential players for a classic era game I am formulating want to be Imperials. I have no moral problem with this, as not everyone in the Empire was evil, and those that were invariably end badly (this is Star Wars after all) but I would like to run an Imperial campaign that is a little (or a lot) different.

So, basic idea for the campaign background - Palpatine is visiting Tarkin for the test of the 1st Death Star, wanting to be present personally to end this 'pitiful little rebellion' and gets atomised along with Tarkin and his brainchild (AOTC not withstanding).

The players are new (1st level or starting character depending on system) Imperial recruits from some, all or none of the following organisations: ISB, inquisition, navy, intelligence, nobility, mercenary. The campaign will be focused on holding the empire together, and vying with rival Imperials for power and prestige.

What I'm looking for is input on what direction the SW timeline will take, will Vader take command? What about Sate Prestage? Will Xixor use the Emperor's absence to make a bid for power? What if Thrawn returned early? Would key imperials move to sabotage the Emperor's clones? Without the unifying presence of Palpatine, would the rebellion blossom more quickly, turning into a galaxy wide uprising for alien rights? How would the Skywalker saga end? Has balance been brought to the force?

Obviously there are no right answers here, but any and all input would be welcomed...

RoyalGuard
5 November 2002, 05:41 AM
p.s. apologies to the mod who has to move this to the GM thread! I take it I get one noob mistake forgiven?

Marusame
5 November 2002, 04:32 PM
Since there was not Luke on the Death Star to say, "Yeah, Palpy bit the big one..." What if some of the higher-ups in the military got together to pretend that he was still alive. Kinda like Thrawn being 'alive' in that hand of thrawn duology. The players would have to expose the falsehood. Or you could have them go through an entire mission that involved the 'emperor' only to find at the end some guy in a mask.

I dunno, haven't put much thought into this.

Hephaestus
5 November 2002, 05:34 PM
Sounds interesting. I'm running a campaign in which I've changed the timeline.

Originally posted by RoyalGuard

What I'm looking for is input on what direction the SW timeline will take, will Vader take command?

I see Vader taking command of the Empire. He may have some rivals, but I see the Sith Lord being able to seize and maintain control.

Will Xixor use the Emperor's absence to make a bid for power?

This is a possiblity, but I don't see the Falleen being able to wrestle control from Vader. Vader isn't a 'subtle' as Palpatine. Without his Master to restrain him, Vader would crush the criminal as soon as he realized the threat.

What if Thrawn returned early?

Now this one has lotsa potential! Thrawn could return shortly after the Emperor was killed and Vader ahs assumed control. Having a completely different philosophy not only concerning tactics and strategy, but also leadership. It would be interesting to see how the military and political leadership of the Empire split between the two of these powerful figures.

Would key imperials move to sabotage the Emperor's clones?

The individuals that would have idea about the Emperor having clones would be his 'loyal' advisors and Vader. I can see Vader sabotaging his clones, thereby stopping the return of Palpatine. Vader my be stopped by one of Palpatine's advisors who wish to have his Emperor (along with his former position) return.

Without the unifying presence of Palpatine, would the rebellion blossom more quickly, turning into a galaxy wide uprising for alien rights?

The Rebellion might quickly grow in size and influence because the Emperor is no longer around to intimidate them into place. More beings and planets would most likely state their opinion against the galactic Empire.

How would the Skywalker saga end? Has balance been brought to the force?

This is a tough one. It really depends on the direction that you want to take your campaign. Vader could still be after Luke. This could be handled several ways. (1) Darth Vader may hunt Luke down and capture him, taking him on as a student. (2) If Thrawn does return to challenge Vader for control, perhaps Thrawn attempts to sway young Luke to aid him in dealing with Vader.

Those are just some ideas. I'm currently running a campaign in an altered timeline. I changed the universe timeline about a half year after the battle of Yavin using the Charon from OtherSpace. I had the drop into real space over Thila, home of Alliance High Command. They nearly wipped out all of Rebel command, with very few personnel escaping.

I altered the module OtherSpace II to take place on Thila instead of the Safeworld of Stronghold. After I'm done with the module, I'm going to advace the game a year and a half. I've already typed out the altered timeline so that when its time to move on, I can just do it. In the altered timeline, Vader is in control of the Empire after he killed a weakened Palpatine (who was severlly wounded after a battle with Yoda). Luke was also killed by Vader and Leia is in command of the rememnents of the Rebel Alliance.

Well, goodluck with your campaign.

Bjorn

Emperor Xanderich II
6 November 2002, 04:00 AM
p.s. apologies to the mod who has to move this to the GM thread! I take it I get one noob mistake forgiven?

Don't worry about it RoyalGuard!

Moving to GM Discussion

Lord Kjeran
6 November 2002, 06:43 AM
Chello!

My thought is that Thrawn could return secretly, similiar to the way he does in Heir to the Empire. That is, does Vader know about the 13th Grand Admiral? Thrawn working from the shadows could be a formidable opponent. He could misdirect Vader when running ops against him--leaving evidence that it was the Alliance.

Another thought: what about Mara Jade? It is apparent in EU material that she had no great love for Vader. Would she work with him for the greater good of Empire? Or would she work against him as well?

Good overall planning however.

Later,

Tony