PDA

View Full Version : The NJO source book

RoyalGuard
5 November 2002, 06:28 AM
Tried to post this as a comment to Moridin's review, but the link was broken:

the review:NJO review (http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?s=&id=1362)

I agree with Moridin in general, but feel he was too kind in some areas:

First and foremost - the art work, or lack thereof. This is a SOURCE book, not a mood book, not a work for the Tate Modern. The pictures desperately need to be descriptive. Examples - armour, needed were pictures of the different levels of armour, showing appropriate bio-implants and accessories, and the degree of ornateness to be expected of say, warrior level, and warmaster level.

Mutilations/tatooes - central to the Vong mindset and almost totally absent from this book. How do shaper tatooes differ from warrior ones? I know about differing implants from the novels but they should be here!

Ships\Vehicles - Woefully underdescribed in the novels (save the stackpole ones and vector prime) for a gamer, pictures of the exterior of all the ships should have been included at a bare minimum. Interiors of ships PCs were likely to encounter should have been included also (creche ships for example, possibly even Yammosk chambers).

Key characters, most notably Anakin Skywalker, were absent. Moridin highlighted the absence of the Chiss, and the criminally small space alloted to the Remnant.

I feel another key criticism of this book is that it finishes at Star by Star, implying that I shall have to purchase NJO revised for stats of major players (Supreme Overlord etc.) and for a convenient timeline all in one place for my campaign writing.

Also there was a fairly glaring mistake (in hindsight I must admit) in that Imperial planets are listed as being Vong occupied. In Destiny's Way (long after this source book ends) the Remnant remains untouched.

Rant over, now the good points (and this book does have some fantastic ones).

Dovin Basals now have unique rules, you have stats for more Vong ships than you could ever want to use, Crab armour is included and detailed, there are new Vong weapons (drop a plasma eel in PCs who think they know it all) and the characters included lack the inconsistencies that wrack other source books (i.e. rebellion era). The one flaw I spotted (Chazrach using Amphistaffs without the EW feat) was my own - inert Amphistaffs use the Simple feat!

Also the chronological layout of the book, while not the best way of doing it (I agree with Moridin that stats should be appendicised, a la Tempest feud) does provide you with a handy (if incomplete) timeline in one place. (before it I had to write my campaign flicking through novel after novel to pinpoint specific characters and places.) The suggested adventures hooks are also well crafted and look like they could make a good campaign.

Overall rating: 60% - buy it if you must but wait for NJO revised if you can!

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
5 November 2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by RoyalGuard
Overall rating: 60% - buy it if you must but wait for NJO revised if you can!

From what I have heard they aren't going to do a revised NJO (I think that it was on JD Wiker's site) just a second volume to finish the series in 2004.

While I agree that the stats should have been indexed I like the the layout WotC used for the NJOSB much better than the one they used for the RESB.

And welcome to the HoloNet Royal Guard.

RoyalGuard
5 November 2002, 07:31 AM
Well, so long as they update the Vong equipment (cough DR 3 for Crab armour Cough wouldn't stop a knife let alone a lightsabre cough).

This New republic source book, WOTC based or SWRPGnetwork?

ElfBoyM
5 November 2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by FrobiWanKenobi

From what I have heard they aren't going to do a revised NJO (I think that it was on JD Wiker's site) just a second volume to finish the series in 2004.

While I agree that the stats should have been indexed I like the the layout WotC used for the NJOSB much better than the one they used for the RESB.

And welcome to the HoloNet Royal Guard.

That's great, a second volume. I feel that is a much better idea than publishing a 300+ page book that we would have to shell out more money for.

As for this NJO book, I'd give it a 75. The presentation is off, but for someone who hasn't had the toime/energy to read all teh NJO novels, it provides a good background for campaigns in this era.
Yes,the art work is sparse and could have been done better, and it would have been nice for it to go by faction rather than timeline (maybe with a timeline summary in the back).
But I use the book alot anyeay, so who am I to complain?

Rogue Janson
5 November 2002, 07:52 AM
With reference to the conquering of planet, the remnant is the most glaring error, but there are others too, such as Kashyyyk and Corellia (I think). I'll get my friend chivers along here and he'll rant about it for me, since it's not like I actually own the book.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
5 November 2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by RoyalGuard
This New republic source book, WOTC based or SWRPGnetwork?

Neither. More info here. (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9243)

ElfBoyM - That's the exact defense that I heard for the decision.