PDA

View Full Version : Non-RCRB PC Races

Its2bad4u
5 November 2002, 01:46 PM
Does anyone let their PCs play races other than the ones in the RCRB? Just curious... I'm introducing 2 races (Hopefully I'll put up the stats for them at some point) to my players in an upcoming mission and I plan on making them playable races from here on out, so I was just wondering if anyone else expands the player's selection.

ElfBoyM
5 November 2002, 02:08 PM
Yes I do. I feel that the RCRB provides a number of good entry level speices for enty level players (i.e the Duro spacer, the Bothan scoundrel) , the other souces provide Speices for those who want something a little more.
When playing with people who were D6'ers, I encourage other speices. This is due to the large number of species presented in all d6 sources

Rogue Janson
5 November 2002, 02:09 PM
Definitely. Most of the races from other sources are easily playable and you don't get that much variety with the CRB player races. I think all the alien species in the upcoming Ultimate Alien Anthology are going to be playable.
If they really wanted I'd even let my players use races not necessarily meant for players, eg. hutts - fine, could be a wonderful character, just comes with a big warning about that 2m speed.

Talon Razor 'GM'
5 November 2002, 02:47 PM
I agree with Janson. Any Race is A.O.K, BUT some have major disadvantge. Heck, they could be a Savrip if they wanted, but just get treated like an animial. On that note, I also play up the Empires prejudice of aliens, just to have the players hate the empire even more. My PCs are all aliens (except one) and I have Imperial stick their noses up at them (just a little, not too much or aliens are not fun to play). Anything in AA, stuff on web, whatever they want, just that there is disadvangte to every race.

Its2bad4u
5 November 2002, 03:23 PM
all very good points... now im probably going to open up the selection to all the species the next time they create characters. And I'll definately have to keep the prejudiced Empire thing in mind as we move into that era. Hopefully my PCs won't die so that they have to make new characters any time soon but theres always that chance *big evil grin*

Reverend Strone
5 November 2002, 07:05 PM
As my campaign is set on Tatooine around 4 years before ANH, I allowed my players to choose any race that could feasibly be present at that place and in that time.

I ended up with three Humans, a Duros, a Falleen and a Dug (as per the Old CRB Dug rules with some minor house-rules adjustments).

Provided the character fits the campaign setting and story, I'll allow just about anything.

ElfWord
5 November 2002, 07:18 PM
Part of the allure of Star Wars is all the variety. There are tons of racial options I let my player's choose from. They can be anything from a Talz to a Noghri, they simply have to accept the bonuses and penalties that come along with it.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
5 November 2002, 07:37 PM
Here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8180) is a link to another thread on this subject.

KenobiJim
10 November 2002, 06:41 PM
In our game, we didn't let the books limit us at all. Let me see... If I can name some of the ones we had.

Yazirian from Star Frontiers (Flying Monkeys with Sunglasses!)
An Energy Orb
An Intelligent Starship (a la Anne McCaffrey)
A Seven-foot Tall Centaur Ant (Now Equipped with Hive mind!)
A Yautja (Insert Dark Predator Giggle here...)
A Shapeshifter from DS9 (Odo Anyone?)
Rocket Raccoon!
Immortal Humans (Highlander Variety)
Elves (a la D&D)
A Faerie Dragon (from same said D&D campaign)
Klingon-flavored Alternatives

We were also using our little grey Noghri friends long ago...

Possible new alternatives:

Newhon Ghouls (Like invisible humans with visible skeletons - creepy!)
Vampires could be fun
Almost any Were creature could be fun
Yoth-Shuggoth a la HP Lovecraft (or any elder race for that matter)
Shadows from Babylon 5
Vorlon from Babylon 5
Farscape Non-humans (some interesting ones there)
Traditional Grays (or any UFO oriented race)
The Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail
A race of Luggage (a la Terry Pratchett)

I would use these as well as any of the Star Wars slightly more traditional aliens. We avoided Sullustans for some reason (they always seemed to become a food product...) I kind of liked those spider alien things in Jabba's Palace, or Hoojibs. I like wierd stuff (you probably figured that out already...)

da_gm
10 November 2002, 11:34 PM
I will allow my players to be a character of almost any species, with a few exceptions. My campaign i set aprox 1.5 years after the battle of Yavin, so any species that weren´t subjugated by the empire or not discovered yet (ewoks). Basically i follow the era recomendations. The only exception to this rule are the gungans. We (my group and i) decided to leave the gungans to rot in their lake, since none of us like them at all.
This has left me with a team that consist of one ubese, one duros, one wookie (that player was real stubborn about it) four humans and a droid. Now yes i have a lot of players, but they come and go from session to session (both the players and their characters).

The high frequency of humans among my players is due to the fact that a told my players that aliens would experince problems with imperials on most worlds. This because of the empires somewhat restrictive policies towards non-humans

Faraer
11 November 2002, 08:21 AM
A good way to create characters is the one used for the movies, with a concept sketch or the equivalent in prose, say a 100-word description. In my games, most PCs are human, as in the films, but the alien ones are as likely to be an entirely new species as one of the established ones. This is more "realistic" given the number of species in the galaxy, and ensures that the character's appearance represents her fully.