PDA

View Full Version : Darkside? You decide.

Lord Diggori
5 November 2002, 03:00 PM
In my last session of SW, something unexpected occured.

Situation:

1.Party investigates this landing beacon of a suspicious company on a backwater world.
2.Party hasnt been able to contact the company's base on planet.
3.Sensing equipment tampering, 6 company security guards and 2 techs approach the beacon.
4.Party hides in jungle foliage and divides for flanking manuever.
5.PC team 1 fumbles hide and attracts 3 guards.
6.Guards open fire in hopes of scaring off native predators.
7.PC team 1 attacks guards. 1guard killed, 2 surrender
8. PC team 2, still hidden well, notices other 3 guards and techs withdrawing during team 1's fight.
8.5. My Soldier player tells me he gonna get those last 3 guards and declares using a Force point. His girlfriend, another player, warns him of Darkside. He's like "Yeah." Devious grin.

9. Level 9 Soldier PC, non-Force Sensitive with 2 DSPs already, spends a Force point to attack the fleeing 3 guards with their techs. He uses autofire and Heroic surge, with the high rolled Force point bonus succeeds in killing the 3 guards fleeing flat-footed within one round.

My reaction as GM: Gave the soldier one DSP per guard.

What do y'all think?

ironwolf56
5 November 2002, 03:07 PM
I think you overreacted. First off 1 DSP at the most (this guys non-Force Sensitive, I mean he needs to do a lot to get one). And second, I don't know any GM that would've given a DSP even to a Jedi. This is WAR obviously; it's not like he's shooting up kids or nothing. I mean, Jedi obviously have no problem killing people in a war; would you give Luke DSPs for calling on the Force to destroy the Death Star, I know I wouldn't. In a related note, who spends a FP for something as minor as this? I mean the group I'm in treats them like gold; I only spent 2 total last campaign (a 7 month campaign no less).

OverLord
5 November 2002, 03:35 PM
I agree with ironwolf56, no DSP for the soldiers actions.
I don't think that was a dark enough action to grant DSP, and if I had I wouldn't have given more than 1.
I'll never give more than 1 DSP to non-Force sensitive characters no matter what they do.

Ravager_of_worlds
5 November 2002, 03:40 PM
My reaction is a bit different...

Give the soldier 1 or 2 DSPs; 1 for the force point being used in the purpose of evil and the evil act itself. It also sounds like the player has an overabundance of force points if he's going to waste them on 3 lowly guards.

but Ironwolf the only reason it is 'harder' for a non-force sensitive person to get a dark side point is because they can't do dark side abilities. any situation that a jedi would get a DSP for their action is guarenteed to give one to a non-force sensitive in my book. It doesn't matter if you are force sensitive or not, if the action warrants a DSP, then it does. Again, only my opinion. None of my players who play Normals get off the hook with DSPs- in fact, it figures into how trustworthy they may look. I often have animals and children take an instant dislike to any character with DSPs.

your player sounds like he deserves it- he did it just becuase he could. that, is something that often kills the character in the long run. Also, it may foment distrust for his character among the others characters.

evan hansen
5 November 2002, 03:54 PM
As always, these matters are open to extreme amounts of interpretation and debate.

I'm in the "No DSP" camp, and here is why:

The person isn't, from what you've said here, a Force user. In my mind, it's never been adequately explained why a non-Force user should get DSPs. The Dark Side can't control them in the way it can control a Force user. At most, the emotions and actions one associates with the Dark Side can seem like a better option -- a form of the Dark Side, I suppose. But we're not talking mystical coercion here.

DSPs are fine to give to Jedi -- and probably even in that situation (Though only one total for the whole thing as I see it as one big malicious action. I see DSPs as being for the lapse in judgement or thinking that leads to the death -- not for each death itself), but I don't think I've ever given one out to a non-Force sensitive player. It just doesn't make sense to me, personally.

Just my two creds...

Jim Williams
5 November 2002, 04:05 PM
1 DSP for using a Force point to inflict needless death.

I personally feel, if life can be equated in terms of a game we play at all, that lots of soldiers come home from war with some "DSPs". No moral judgment here, but war sucks and leaves lasting scars. Mostly depends on the particular individual and what they might have done.

In real life, I imagine this character would have unresolved feelings about this for a long time. We players just get to roll dice and lay waste (all for good fun and storytelling!!!)

Too lazy to get my rulebook...but where does it say non-FS are exempt from the toll of the dark side? Besides the physical problems, I would definitely demand a roleplaying change of personality as the character's moral outlook changes. IMO. The way I see it, concentration camp commanders had lots of DSPs.

Grimace
5 November 2002, 05:38 PM
I'm in a mixed camp. I don't think that (based on what I read, which probably didn't have every little nuance that the game session itself had concerning the actions) the soldier should get a DSP, BUT I don't think that the soldier should get back the Force Point, as it was used rather callously for something that wouldn't warrant reallocation of the Force Point.

I've always viewed the Force Points as a "you use it for something really good, you get another. You use it for something common or for your own personal protection, you simply get it reallocated. You use it wastefully or for something that's not quite on the up-and-up, you don't get it back." That way, rather than giving out a DSP for something that's really kind of borderline, I simply don't give them the Force Point back (assuming they used one, and that's the case this time.)

I wouldn't have given him 1 DSP for each guard killed, even in the situation described. 1 total would have been fine in my book.

All told, though, you need to remain consistant in your own game. If you dish out DSPs like you have, stick to it later in the game. If you decide that what you did was a little too harsh, and you tone it down, stay consistant later on when something similar occurs. Consistancy is key to being a GM.

Its2bad4u
5 November 2002, 06:06 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with giving him a DSP, especially if their backs were turned. Basically it comes down to killing someone who is unable to defend themselves. Though if they didn't die in the first round I don't think I would have given him one... cause they got the chance to defend themselves... I don't know its a tough call but I'm gonna stick with my original statement. I make the non-Force user in my party keep track of his DSPs in case he decides to become force sensitive.

Talon Razor 'GM'
5 November 2002, 06:15 PM
If he guns down FLEEING troops and using the force at the same time. Then I would give him only one DSP. If he did not need to kill the troops, then that's evil. Self-defense good. Now if they are Rebels that were fighting a war then no don't give him the DSP cuz it is war. But these are just guards and the party doesn't really know what they are up to. I really could go any way, with leaning towards a DSP. Too you could go with what Grimace said, that would be a good way of balancing it out. Since he has got already 2 DSP, you might want to tell him to start toning down.

Ardent
5 November 2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by evan hansen
The person isn't, from what you've said here, a Force user. In my mind, it's never been adequately explained why a non-Force user should get DSPs. The Dark Side can't control them in the way it can control a Force user. At most, the emotions and actions one associates with the Dark Side can seem like a better option -- a form of the Dark Side, I suppose. But we're not talking mystical coercion here.

Evan, I agree that the Soldier doesn't deserve a DSP because those guards are still, technically, a threat to the group.

However, insofar as why non Force-Sensitives should get DSPs: what happens when a non Force-Sensitive "becomes" Force-Sensitive? Do you arbitrarily assign X number of DSPs? Because the character doesn't have a clean slate if he's done evil in the past, even if he's just now opening himself to the effects of his evil.

I hope that was clear. ;)

Talon Razor 'GM'
5 November 2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by evan hansen The person isn't, from what you've said here, a Force user. In my mind, it's never been adequately explained why a non-Force user should get DSPs. The Dark Side can't control them in the way it can control a Force user. At most, the emotions and actions one associates with the Dark Side can seem like a better option -- a form of the Dark Side, I suppose. But we're not talking mystical coercion here.

I see DSP as tracking how evil someone is. The balance between DSP and FP allows me to see how evil a dude is. That is way when someone performs a real evil act, they get a DSP to sort of 'remeber' it.

Jedi_Staailis
5 November 2002, 06:38 PM
It doesn't matter if you are force sensitive or not, if the action warrants a DSP, then it does.
I disagree. Dark Side Points, in my opinion, are a manifestation of the draw of the Dark Side on a character. Non-Force sensitive characters are necessarily less vulnerable to the Dark Side. (Note that this also means that I don't agree with other interpretations of DSPs, such as mental trauma or evil reputation. DSPs can certainly be used, and used effectively, for such things, but in my game, they only represent the dark side.)

Does this mean the morals that apply to Jedi don't apply to non-Force Sensitives? In short, yes. Non-Force sensitive characters can have much looser ethics and stay on the light side. That doesn't mean that they won't be pursued by the law or gain a reputation for being ruthless, but it does mean that in questionable situations, they're likely to get off scot-free in the DSP department. This tends to throw Jedi into sharp relief against other characters, as well as limit said Jedi, but I like this effect.

Furthermore, the guards, if allowed to escape, could have posed a threat to the team by reporting back, or by regrouping. Admittedly, using a force point to kill the guards was a bit excessive, and there were non-violent solutions available. If it was a Jedi, I would give 1 DSP, but a soldier doesn't deserve it, in my opinion.

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
5 November 2002, 06:46 PM
Okay. If I were GM, DSP for the soldier. Shot fleeing people in the back. If I read the situation correctly, he had the drop on them, and could've told them to surrender or else. He could also have shot using stun bolts, depending on the type of weapon. Option number three, letting them get away, while more risky, would've prevented bloodshed and use of other resources. He knew the consequences, and so would get a DSP. Force-sensitive has nothing to do with it.

Haradim
5 November 2002, 06:54 PM
I agree with 1 DSP. 3 is a little much; I'm not sure I'd award even a FS character with that many, unless he Gripped each one or some such.

Though unless he intends to become FS later on, or you have house rules about DSPs, you can pretty much award as many as you wish.

*wishes DSPs were a little more universal in what they affect...*

Dr_Worm
6 November 2002, 12:09 AM
I agree one DSP

It seems like the Soldier was shooting non-threats. If he had not used a Force Point I would have just given him a warning but allowed it, but since he did use a FP...DSP. Not that a DSP is the end of the world...I think that some characters need one or two to reflect their alternate morality.

KreGoete
6 November 2002, 05:15 AM
Personally, I give a DSP for using a FP to add to an attack roll. If a Player were warned about the DSP, and gave the little smirk that you described your player giving, I would throw in another one...
my 2 creds

Ravager_of_worlds
6 November 2002, 05:19 AM
Here's a question... the people who think force sensitives and normals are different when acquiring DSPs- were you once d6 users? I only ask this because WEG seemed to reserved DSPs for tracking the dark side in force users.

here's the d20 argument from WotC (if i interpret it correctly). If FPs and DSPs are opposites (like matter and antimatter, they annihilate one another), then why wouldn't a Normal not get DSPs for evil actions? If they receive 1 FP per level, acquire a FP for heroic acts, they certainly should be able to acquire the opposite, the DSP. The balance is in the bonus die of the FP called (up to 3d6 at 20th level for normals i think). Also, Normals aren't affected by Dark Side Sites- their 'immunity' from the force works this way too- it limits their force point bonus pool and also shields them partially from the dark side. In effect, they aren't 'sensitive' enough to feel it or be affected.

Lord Diggori's soldier was using multifire, a d20 mechanic. It may help to keep in mind WotC's argument for the game (it is theirs to start with) though we are free as GMs to use it or not.

Here's a question- did Imperial Officer stats in WEG have DSP totals? They do in WotC writeups to show morally corrupted, evil and vindictive they are. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Rebellion personel don't have a few DSPs- after all, we often become what we hate (Heart of Darkness).

Jericho_Narcas
6 November 2002, 06:24 AM
Several Imperial officers (Tarkin, Thrawn, even Pellaeon) have had a few dark side points in their write-ups in the WEG supplements. If I recall correctly, in D6 if you use a force point to do something evil, you get a dark side point, even if you're not force-sensitive. If you're force-sensitive, you get a dark side point any time you do something evil, whether you use a force point or not. In my games, if someone does something that I deem exceptionally foul, I might give them a dark side point for that -- regardless of force-sensitivity or point usage.

Ardent
6 November 2002, 07:47 AM
Well, just for reference. Daala has 19 and Ambassador Furgan has 12 in the Jedi Academy Sourcebook, and I intend to carry both to d20's New Republic Era sourcebook (although probably not in the same numbers, just the idea: Daala is Dark Side, Furgan is tainted).

Most Imperial officers seem to have 1 or 2 DSPs. If they have none, they also have no Force Points.

strensk
6 November 2002, 07:52 AM
I am torn on this one.

The company is "suspicious" not a defined enemy. However the guards did open fire, but it sounds like they weren't sure if it was animals or people. Being that the one team failed their hide check, I would say the guards knew what they were doing.

The ones that ran could have caused more trouble, or just been scared out of their wits. They made no move to attack though, so I would say a possible DSP.

However, in times of conflict you must watch thine own butt, and in those cases it is sometimes better to shoot first and ask questions second.

If the group has been burned by something like this happening in the past then I say they acted correctly which would be no DSP.

I guess it really depends on the situation for me on this one. Wouldn've had to been there I guess.

Lord Diggori
6 November 2002, 03:09 PM
First off, thanks for a swift and abundant response.

Now that y'all know the basics I'll fill in some detail I left out for the sake of brevity so y'all can affirm or revise your judgements:

1. I use an addiction system that makes DSPs matter for "normals". I ruled that he was acting out a psychosis according to my system so gave him bonus XP for roleplaying.

2. The Soldier is a Republic marine in a party of Jedi. This is set 90 years before Ep. I so the company has no Imperial ties. The planet is their property. Rumors of abductions from the natives make them suspicious.

3. The Soldier was hiding with 1 Jedi, her padawan, and a 10th level former Jedi. When I described the guards and techs fleeing he asked the others to try to sneak and head them off (Diverting the Jedi, Baiting the Guards?). Once alone, he sniped the 3 guards before the others could reach them. They never got the chance to surrender and where out-numbered.

Most Important: Though the soldiers actions were tactically smart, they fall extremely short of the good guy behavior which is an important for the type of sci-fantasy fiction Star wars is. In real life soldiers dont get darkside points cause it's real life, but good guy characters must meet a higher standard.

Talon Razor 'GM'
6 November 2002, 03:25 PM
I tend to agree with you. Here are my reasons:

1. He could have hit them with Stun

2. Espacailly since there are Jedi that could have handle it without death.

3. Shooting them when others were going to deal with it is worth DSP.

So I think ONE DSP is cool. Sounds like your players have to be really good!! LOL Mine would be chalked full of DSP by your standards.

KenobiJim
6 November 2002, 10:08 PM
I would have been a little more lenient in the DSP department if the soldier in question was in danger. Being 9th level, that means his attack bonus is already pretty darn good and he has vitality points to burn if he got shot. Tactically this guy was in team 2 if I'm right and they had yet to give away their position. The guards and techs were already retreating. This soldier was in no immediate danger and probably not in any long-term danger unless he moons the techs or something. So let's see. He actively decides top burn a Force Point to take these guys out. Combined with his other tricks he kills them all. Also I would remember that the player was looking forward to getting DSPs as evidenced by his reaction to his girlfriend. I would call that an in-character response even if it was not intended to be. Everything combined, giving one DSP per opponent killed is not excessive. Think also, this is very anti-heroic and darn near murderous. Given the overall situation, three DSPs is okay. If any of the previous conditions didn't exist, then it would have been excessive.

P-Za Lord
8 November 2002, 01:25 AM
The guards that were originally killed were acceptable. They had opened fire, there was no hatred or needless suffering. But the fleeing guards are a completely different story. The argument that the fleeing guards had to be killed because they could have alerted others might be suitable to placate the other members of the party as validation for the soldier's actions (and the fact that he's an apparent psychotic could validate them as an In-Character reason as well), the Dark Side doesn't care about that. All it cares about is that someone performed an evil act. In this case, causing needless death and injury.

Even in the case of war. Scratch that. ESPECIALLY in the case of war. There is a difference between killing an opponent, and killing a fleeing opponent (and by your account I will assume those guards were fleeing and it was obvious, not just ducking around the next corner). The fact that you might have to face that opponent later is no excuse in the eyes of the Force to mow them down. In fact, it may even represent a little fear that you just might have to actually face that opponent again. Fear that the next time the soldier meets one of those guys he might not be able to hide from them in time. Or that maybe they won't have their backs towards him? We know where fear leads.

Having stated that, I don't think the soldier was actually afraid. The fact is, his action caused unneccesary death. As KenobiJim mentioned, the player did it knowingly, as evidenced by his own words and actions. I find myself paying particular attention to the way player's state the actions of their characters more than the actual actions sometimes. You can usually tell when someone's starting to feel anger or hatred.

The soldier's got a psychosis, but even psychotics get DSPs. The player can roleplay the best psychotic you've ever seen and get lots of experience points. His character will grow and become stronger. He'll just grow into a character with alot of DSPs (and getting more and more psychotic until he's lost forever.)

In the case above, I personally would have only awarded 1 DSP for the act of unnecessarily slaying the guards, not one for each guard. But I can see how you could do one for each guard easily enough, so I wouldn't say that you giving out 3 was too excessive. And of course, all of this is just my own personal way of viewing the situation you described. You can set the number and ease of DSP gain however you wish to suit the tone of your campaign.

ironwolf56
8 November 2002, 03:32 PM
Look it's common tactical practice to shoot fleeing people who are going to warn others. It keeps your own and the other guards from being killed; I still say no DSP

P-Za Lord
9 November 2002, 02:34 AM
It isn't whether an action is "common tactical practice' that determines whether a Dark Side Point is awarded. Because "common tactical practice" varies greatly. If you are a stormtrooper, following common procedure can quickly give you DSPs.

It might be common tactical procedure to go around and put a bullet in the head of all the wounded enemies (who might have otherwise been taken prisoner and have to be fed and healed). Or to execute all the prisoners after a battle (without them having received a fair trial at the least). Either way, you still get a DSP for doing it. In Star Wars anyhow.

Let's take an ancient samurai warrior from our own planet as an example. In their culture, a samurai had many priviledges which might seem excessive or strange to us, but which are perfectly acceptable within their society. For instance, a samurai's blade was often a work of incredible craftsmanship. Able to cut a silk scarf as it drifted down without leaving any seams or frayed threads. Now, as if this wasn't enough, a samurai was entitled to test out his new blade by killing someone with it. A samurai's blade had to be keen, as such he had a right as a samurai, to walk outside, see a peddlar, and cut him in half. Or even your child if he so desired. As such, nothing would happen to the samurai. He had done nothing wrong within his society. You couldn't call the local inspector to have him arrested. You couldn't assault and kill him for it. I think all you were feasibly allowed to do was not stand still for him and run for your life if he chose you as his subject.

However, the ways of the Force don't necessarily mesh with his society's moral views. The samurai would still receive a DSP if he had slain a little girl, or an innocent peddlar. Or even a not-so-innocent peddlar who he didn't know about. Why? Because what he did was a transgression against the Force (deliberately killing or injuring someone who has done nothing wrong), even if it wasn't a transgression in his society. The samurai could have always exercised his right to test his blade upon a criminal who had been deemed guilty by trail, or who had refused to make reparations for his actions (the crimes being of suitable gravity, of course) and been fine with the Force. In no case would either action have reflected badly on the samurai being a samurai only on the way he exists within the Force.

Having said these things, I wouldn't have awarded the soldier character a DSP strictly because he shot at the guards, it was because the act itself was conducted with negative emotion, a common transgession in the Force. It can be hard to judge, but since the player himself made statements which clearly set the tone for his character's emotions, that makes it worthy of a DSP right there where I am concerned.

If you need more: the fact that the guards were no immediate threat to anyone, the character deliberately diverted the other characters away from the area so that they couldn't stop him, and the fact that the Force was called on to commit the act, and the act ultimately culminated in the deaths of the three guards who were apparently just doing their jobs guarding property the characters are invading. Now, I probably wouldn't have awarded the DSP for any of these alone, but when you take them all into account, as well as the above mentioned negative emotions, they seem to show that the Dark Side is starting to emerge in the guy. So, he gets a DSP to represent that.

But the ease or difficulty of acquiring Dark Side Points should always be scaled for the type of campaign being run.

Evik_Blastrider
9 November 2002, 05:24 AM
Evan Hansen,

I really think you should reconsider your position on DSPs and non-Force sensitives. DSPs are a measure of evil, not a measure of adherence to the Jedi code (did Qui Gon Jin have any DSPs?).

Do the following movie characters deserve DSPs for their actions?

1. Jango Fett kills his own partner, Zam. Later, he kills a Jedi Master. (Maybe you can give him a break for being a good dad and all, but he is pretty darn ruthless.)

2. Jaba the Hutt feeds anyone who annoys him (or is standing near those that annoy him) to his pet Rancor or the all might Sarlac (and I'm pretty sure he's done worse than that off screen).

3. Moff Tarkin destroyed the core systerm planet of Alderaan. It had no weapons and certainly had billions of innoncents. This act sent a shockwave through the force that brought a Jedi Master to his knees lightyears away.

I think Tarkin deserves a DSP for every day that he actively participated in the construction of the Death Star (heck, even the Death Star's plumbing contractor deserves one). And anyone that followed his orders and helped destroy Alderaan (looks like at least 5 people) deserves a DSP (none of this "just following orders" crap!).

And Vader deserves a DSP for watching him do it and not trying to stop him. I always give Jedi a DSP if they didn't act (at least yell "No!") to stop an evil act, especially one commited by an ally.

Maybe clones don't deserve DSPs if they had their personalities altered by the Caminoans. But who really cares?

Kryl'thar
11 November 2002, 01:50 PM
Yes my friends, I saw the whole thing. There we were in the midst of a steaming jungle rich with toxic fumes and a rain so caustic it stung my gills. Our small expeditiary force divided to either side of the landing platform to flank our opponents as they came to inspect the landing beacon. With consumate skill and stealth I lead the too often comtemplative jedi Aurra Sing Ral and Kayto Jedal around the southern slope. Unfortunately, some cantankerous woodland mammal scurried across my path causing a ruckus incommensurate with the its small size. Despite what the jedi may of reported I did not infact trip and fall....really.

Anyway, finding myself of the jungle floor I laid low as the dastardly forces on the landing pad laid the jungle waste with a barrage of blaster fire. Several bolts came close enough to boil the briny sweat from my brow. In desperation I snatched my blaster free from its holster and managed to hit two of our adversaries with my head still buried in the lush moss covering the ground. My jedi friends then foolishly ignited their sabers (handily drawing all the fire) and charged the now wounded guards (and our couse they took all the credit).

Perhaps emboldened by their foolishness....er bravery, I charged the platform heading for the contingent forces still massed around the landing beacon. As I lowered my blaster towards the swarthy guardsmen, a veritable shower of blaster fire tore from the northern canopy and cut down three of the men. The remaining promptly surrendered at the length of Blastech-X350special.

Yep, fine and dandy shooting there Kercheck. They had no idea what hit them. Of course, I might of handled them all without you. I was feeling quite bold...in fact, I don't even think I needed a blaster for those sots.

So...err...what was this whole discussion about? ;)

Dr_Worm
11 November 2002, 02:16 PM
terrific narritive Kryl'thar I still maintain that because of the use of the FP it gets a DSP, but I loved the narritive. Welcome to the holonet.

Lord Diggori
12 November 2002, 07:48 AM
Indeed, welcome Mr. Thar. May I call you Kryl'?

This is the Mon Cal Tech PC in my game that botched his hide check and attracted the guards as part of team 1. Keep in mind his character inhaled some of those toxic fumes (Wisdom currently 8 ). I'd take his word with a grain of sea salt. :D

Arcome
19 November 2002, 05:57 AM
A soldier should only have one force point his whole life anyway, unless her was really heroic. I think that you should have only given you dsp, not one per guard. He is a soldier after all. He should be kicking some butt. Arcome

Master Chip
19 November 2002, 10:46 AM
I have to agree with Arcome and the others who say the soldier should only get one DSP. In my opinion soldiers have less of a conscience about their actions during battle, so he may have seen it fit to kill the guards. The disadvantage of that for him is that not only does he gain a DSP but he loses his force point as well. Soldiers are supposed to kill, it's their job in most cases, although only sadistic soldiers have more than 1 or 2 DSP's, if any.

Lord Diggori
19 November 2002, 02:26 PM
Wow, the topic is still discussion worthy? Thanks for your interest.

Arcome: I can see how you and others think I gave away to many DSPs. However, to me I saw three deaths, therefore three evil acts. As the d20 rule book states, darkside point awards are cumulative. Using a Force point in anger to kill an innocent is two DSPs.

Master Chip: If you read my above descriptions you'll see this PC is sadistic. He has tried to kill PC Jedi team members before. In a previous campaign he approved of incapacitating prisoners with stun bolts to the head. His character is only involved with the party to find the Hutt credits the Jedi are investigating for himself. A slicer forged his authorization.

Do y'all still think I'm overboard?

Kryl'thar
21 November 2002, 09:49 AM
Despite whatever hallucinations those wacky jungle vines may of been induced in my mind that day, I still think three dark side points for the one act is a bit much.

For defense I have to go to cannon....Star Wars. Episode IV. A New Hope.

Bad ole' boy Tarkin ordered the Death Star to blow up Alderaan. One incident. One verbal command, and BILLIONS of lifeforms are wiped-out. Now if you get one darkside point for every person that you kill in pursuit of evil, then our buddy should have a couple of million. Heck the darkside should of rose up out of the ground and swallowed him up like Jason in "Jason Goes to Hell." (Damn these eyes for ever seeing that movie).

I think two is fair. One for the act itself, and one for using a Force Point in pursuit of that act. By the book, the only example of a character getting three dark side points is when they burn a darkside point to attack someone using a dark side skill. One for the force point, one for the attack, one for the use of a dark side power.

Lord Diggori
21 November 2002, 01:13 PM
Canon sources are good to review game content but I dont think game rules references are always fitting. How do we know Tarkin didn't get millions or billions of DSPs?

I dont think he did but this is an illustration of my point.

I have read sources that describe this evil like an addiction. Being such, a little goes a long way in the beginning but more is needed the further one goes. This is how I have explained Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith, murderer of Sandpeople, Rebels, and Jedi, as having less DSPs than beings he has killed.

My soldier player not being tainted yet would get them easier than a man whom embraced the dark long ago. This character with his many weapon feats, martial arts, and hatred of yet close proximity to Jedi is a prime recruit for the darkside I think. Force-sensitive or not.