PDA

View Full Version : keepers of the peace vs. warriors

Trigger
5 November 2002, 07:02 PM
Mace Windu said it in Episode 2. " We are keepers of the peace, not warriors" (sorry if the quote isnt right, i dont have my copy of the novel handy). but it wasnt always that way. Rewind about 4,000 years to the Sith War era (Tales of the Jedi comics), the Jedi were warriors, and they were darned good at it! after the war, the jedi became the "keepers of the peace" that we see in the movies. my question is which role do you think would be more accepted during the NJO? My vote goes to warriors, since thats the role they seem to keep being drawn towards. you can keep the peace once it has been won, but for now, be the warriors you have been in the past and whoop major Vong @$$! At least, thats my thinking. anyone else have an opinion? love to hear it.

Seghast
5 November 2002, 07:17 PM
To keep the peace, you <b>have</b> to be a warrior, or else you won't have the strength to enforce peace. Over time, the Jedi have become overly comfortable in their temple, using the "keepers of the peace" part to keep from doing too much work, I think. They stayed too isolated from the rest of the galaxy until the Clone Wars popped up.

"In times of war, you must prepare for peace; in times of peace, you must prepare for war."

The role of the Jedi, I think, is a soldier of peace. For as long as they live, they are to be fighting for the cause of peace so that the normal person need never fight.

Unfortunately, the Jedi seem to have forgotten this in the last few millenia. Kyp, much as I hate the guy, seems to be the only one on the right track, aside from Jaina. They've been willing to fight almost since the beginning, while the others looked for ways to <i>not</i> fight. Hopefully, Luke and the others are beginning to wake up and realize that to not fight is to sentence death to countless thousands of innocents.

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
5 November 2002, 07:54 PM
Well said, Seghast.

My own view differs somewhat in that I can see the Jedi as guardians or protectors, rather than peacekeepers in the NJO era. The reason being they're being forced to take a much greater role militarily. And while pre-emptive strikes still may not be favored, it is sometimes necessary to inflict harm to prevent more harm from being done.

And against the Vong, while the Jedi are VERY few in number, they still represent one of the best forces in the galaxy for use against the YV threat. They must just make sure they don't fulfill their warrior role for the wrong reasons. Even doing the right thing for the wrong reason can have dramatic consequences.

ElfWord
5 November 2002, 08:46 PM
The Jedi are protectors. While that term may be defensive in nature, it is often neccesary for a protector to go on the offensive. The Jedi do not wait where they are to stand in the way of an enemy, they run right up to them and stand in their way.

Ardent
5 November 2002, 09:44 PM
My character is a warrior philosopher, which is what the Old jedi seem to have been for the most part. Trained killers, yes, but trained killers trained to be conscientious about their abilities.

He occasionally instructs the advanced students on the finer points of combat, and I've got quotes from him on the subject as such.

"Sometimes, in order to remain on the defensive, you must become offensive. Do not fear the need to attack, or your fear will consume you and subsume your goal. Fear the desire to attack, because when your motivation is impure, your defense will lapse."

"In the detente of the duel, the line between defense and attack blurs. Necessarily. If one were not to counter strike, the duel would never cease and defense could not be assured. There is nothing to fear in a controlled attack."

This is something the Jedi of the Old Republic seemed to have forgotten, and something the new Jedi have kept well in mind.

Wade Trenor
6 November 2002, 02:28 AM
The Jedi are NOT soldiers or warriors.

What I mean is, they are not trained for battle or wars, but for investigation and diplomacy. It is because of their need for selfdefence-preservation that they have any fighting abilities.

Codym
6 November 2002, 03:13 AM
The Jedi are capable warriors, this is not in dispute. However, war is never the first option, in fact its their absolute last, and even if necessary, there has never been enough of them to be frontline troops, and would probably only agree to be in such a conflict if there was no other alternative. Be agressors would only undermine their position as guardians of peace. (We still have to wait a few years to find out what part they played in the actual clone war.)

This is more true in the NJO where there is less than a hundred Jedi, with various degrees of training, up against an enemy they are next to useless against, who have conquered half the galaxy. They cannot afford to waste their lives in foolish headlong rushes into the fray. They should work behind the scenes to help save lives, and make sure there is a galaxy left to reclaim at the end of the series.

Jim Williams
7 November 2002, 05:49 AM
I guess try to apply this to the NJO as well as you can...

I think we will find that the Jedi participating in the Clone Wars was a destructive mistake. If nothing else it probably distracts them from uncovering the true foe---Sidious/Palpatine.

Qui-Gon said it best. "I can protect you, not fight a war for you." I don't think he would amend that if he had brought fifty Jedi with him; as a matter of fact the Council did not send enough Jedi to free Naboo.

Mace also said it best, "the Jedi are keepers of the peace, not soldiers." Even with nine freakin' thousand of them.

In the NJO, the Jedi get off easy because the YV are a clear threat to them and everyone in the galaxy practically.

Warlock-Da
11 November 2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Wade Trenor
The Jedi are NOT soldiers or warriors.

What I mean is, they are not trained for battle or wars, but for investigation and diplomacy. It is because of their need for selfdefence-preservation that they have any fighting abilities.

Actually that's false,...in the War vs the Sith,...the Jedi lead the fight, look at all the information about the Hyperspace wars ,..Jedi there too,...Clone wars,.. Yoda and Mace in AotC commanding troopers,...ANH Obi-Wan was called General.

If they were only trained to fight as self defense,..they wouldn't be commanding troops now would they ?

As to Mace's statement about not being warriors,..I'd say...given the that at that time the Republic did not have a military, I'd say he meant the Republic couldn't rely on the Jedi to fight an up coming war for themselves. (ie they'd NEED an army, which they got in the Clonetroopers.)

ElfWord
11 November 2002, 04:17 AM
You can't be completely defensive without being stupid. If a person tries to shoot you, but you dodge, are you going to stand there and wait for them to do it again? In Star Wars, you probably have a blaster or something, so you're going to shoot back. Likewise, you don't always have to wait for the attack. If a see a man approaching me with a knife, obviously intending to kill me, I'm not going to wait until he tries before I try to stop him. The Jedi are like that.

Jedi Master Talon
9 December 2002, 10:32 AM
I think the Jedi have to be warriors to be peace keepers. Personally my character I play in a campagin as he goes around keeping the peace by fighting the people and he hasn't fallen to the dark side. Though he did get mad when his girlfriend died