PDA

View Full Version : There's no Holonet like home...

Ravager_of_worlds
8 November 2002, 10:00 AM
I came to my 'thought of the day'-

the Holonet is like a warm and cozy apartment; sure, there's junk lying on the floor but its our junk. some rooms are more frequented but generally, we all know one another on this board. When i'm at work, i steal a few minutes just to see what my fellow holonetters have to say, see what i can say about a question/dilemma or see how we might make the holonet an even better place. The moderators seem knowledgable and 'moderate' (pun intended) in using their powers...

which is in sharp contrast to the jostling boards across the holonet, with one time posters who never show up again, flame wars that last twenty days of name calling, two thousand people in the same room jostling to be heard, posts jumping to the top and and changing in topic by the second... in all, too crowded! an amazing thing to say since we're all in our own rooms, cubicles or computer labs possibly thousands of miles from the next thread poster.

scottyboy
8 November 2002, 11:05 AM
Very well stated Ravager! And I must say that I have to concur with you 100%. Of all the Star Wars RPG related sites that I've been privy to visiting, this one is by far the most "comfortable"!

Moridin
8 November 2002, 12:17 PM
Well, it's threads like this that remind me why I work on this site as I do.

I may not post as much anymore (the downside to my professional writing career coming to fruition) but rest assured I've always got an eye on this place.

Thanks to everyone that makes this place such a good community.

Jim Williams
9 November 2002, 06:46 AM
You read my mind.

Dr_Worm
9 November 2002, 02:00 PM
Absolutely.

When I first came to this site I had never been part of any ongoing web community. I was hesitant about joining as I hadn't played any RPG in nearly 7 years, and I am not as full of SW knowledge as many on this site are. However I was quickly comfortable, and it encouraged me to get involved in other sties. I was dissapointed to find that many of them are not as well run or as often fequented. The Holonet sets the gold standard for forums in genreal, not to mention Gaming ones.

Thanks for the homey feeling. It's comfort food for the brain.

Reverend Strone
11 November 2002, 09:44 AM
Absolutely guys. I'm echoing the sentiments being expressed here. The Holonet really is a very unusual place, but it's uniqueness from the norm is for all positive reasons.

I love this place- (sniff) and all 'a you guys.

(Group hug).
:D

Kal_Myadon
3 December 2002, 02:17 AM
(group HUG)

I feel exactly the same, I'm a member of a couple of forums but this is the one I spend most time on, I just read all the posts and get some great ideas for my own games and then I go over to C&M and check if Bondo has updated the Skywalkers (god this is funny stuff) and then I go grab a drink from the NNTBS bar and grill and watch the fun.

This place is great.

Kal

Nova Spice
3 December 2002, 02:27 PM
10-4, Roger that. :D

There is nothing I look forward to more than coming home from school and basketball, cracking open a can of Sprite, turning on MusicMatch, and seeing what went down on the Holonet while I was away. Now, if I could only find a nice, little, cozy cabin in the foothills of Tennessee to do all the above from, I'd be in heaven. :D

Korpil
4 December 2002, 06:01 AM
I have to agree myself... I've been extremely busy for the last couple of months, but I am back! And I've found I can dedicate some of my work time to enter here again! So... I'll be back in full...

And yes, this place is... just as warm as any green place can be!

Good work for all the administrators and all the people that populates this place!

Wedge in Red2
5 December 2002, 04:37 AM
I agree 100%. The Wizards boards scare me off a bit, as in my few visits there I've witnessed some pretty big flame wars. However, here has a nice cosy atmosphere, and you feel like you know people, even though you haven't met them in the flesh. This site is one of a very few that I make sure I visit regularly. Unfortunately my participation as of late has been very limited due to work constraints, but I still dig this place!

So to everyone that contributes into making this place rock - kudos :D.

Jon

KenobiJim
9 December 2002, 09:09 AM
I'm not much of a poster child (ha ha - my take on humor) but I feel better posting here than any other place. NO curse words flying about, no flames to dodge, generally few hard feelings abound. I don't like posting anywhere else because of the heat of the flames and the general lack of courtesy and politeness. I stopped posting on RPG.net for that very reason and I rarely visit the Wizards boards, except for OA information (some of it good...) pardon me, :: printing Christmas cards :: When I visit this site, I feel like I'm with my old group, enjoying a knock-down drag-out ultra Awesome session 'o' SWRPG. I'm a shy person and it is really difficult for me to feel comfortable somewhere. This place is like home to me. I give kudos to all who have power here for making this a great place to visit.

Rouge8
9 December 2002, 06:01 PM
I get home from a boring day at school (except for band and sometimes science) and sit around for 5 hours (3:30 to 8:30)! THe, I go on and sit for 30 minutes and whatever else I can drag out of my parents. Thesse boards are probably one of the most comfortable places I'm at all day.