PDA

View Full Version : Typical padawan age?

Its2bad4u
8 November 2002, 05:33 PM
Hey, One of my PCs is about to pick up a padawan and I was just wondering what the aveage age a student would be when he starts his training with his master. I know some start a little later than others. According to the Databank on the Star Wars website they train in 'clans' from about 4-8, but when would be the oldest that a student would be taken on as a padawan?

An advance thanks cause you're all always so helpful

JudroBathens
8 November 2002, 09:57 PM
Based on what I've read (In the Jedi Apprentice series and suchlike), the age of thirteen would be a pretty solid top end for becoming a padawan.

Marusame
8 November 2002, 11:18 PM
I always thought that the little tykes stayed in their 'groups' until they were picked up by a Knight to be trained exclusively. IMO age doesn't matter if they've been in the little Force Cubs groups. It could be anywhere from 8-15.

I think that the counsel didn't like the idea of Anakin because he didn't join a scout pack early on.

*is overloaded by the sheer number of stupid cub scout references in this post and combusts*8o

Its2bad4u
8 November 2002, 11:58 PM
haha i hear ya... im a product of cub scouts... in fact i made it all the way to eagle scout (highest rank in scouting in case some of you arent aware)

Marusame
9 November 2002, 07:36 AM
Yeah, heh... I got suckered in to be part of the Order of the Arrow. ;)

Its2bad4u
9 November 2002, 08:37 AM
yeah me too... i never went back for the second and third parts of it... way too much effort

Faraer
9 November 2002, 09:06 AM
George Lucas has said that a Jedi initiate becomes the Padawan learner to a Jedi aged seven or eight (which overwrites the "by 13" speculation of Jedi Apprentice). The master teaches the student not just how to use the Force but how to be an adult.

Krad-edis
9 November 2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Faraer
George Lucas has said that a Jedi initiate becomes the Padawan learner to a Jedi aged seven or eight (which overwrites the "by 13" speculation of Jedi Apprentice). The master teaches the student not just how to use the Force but how to be an adult.

I would hope that if an Order is showing a young person how to use lightsabers and the force, an emphasis on becoming an adult would come way before age 13. To think that the initiate is not accountable for his or her actions until this point is very scary.

Faraer
9 November 2002, 10:41 AM
That's what I mean. Unfortunately, through some miscommunication the older age has been perpetuated in books like Power of the Jedi Sourcebook.

Krad-edis
9 November 2002, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I am glad that George can provide some guidance finally. "By 13" is way to late in my opinion. It is a shame that that information has been passed over to following books. I would try and use the movies as a basis for finding out a typical Padawan age.

We see that the young initiates are using lightsabers in Episode II with Yoda as an instructor. Perhaps he is getting these six, seven, and eight year olds ready for the venture out of the temple. Anakin's age was a pretty solid age (9 or 10ish) to start letting them go outside as a "beginning Padawan" with a Master. I don't see them getting passed level 1 for a few years though. I think they would be doing a lot of hiding behind the master and watching to see how the master hands diplomacy and "aggressive negotiations". Sure, they can learn, but they will not be "doing", and instead they will be "watching", hence the lower acquisition of experience points.

I would recommend that a typical "independent" Padawan age is 14-16. By this time, they should be able to interact with the outside world, handle themselves in a fight (if they have had 5 to 8 years of lightsaber training, they should be quite proficient), and will hopefully be more mature than most people their age and be responsible. That is, they will be responsible or their master will see that they are.

Ubiqtorate
11 November 2002, 06:53 AM
<font face="Humanst521 Lt BT">I suppose what George says is law. But think about this - can you really see an eight-year-old involved in "aggressive negotiations?" I'm going to agree with Krad-edis on this one - they probably do a lot of hiding behind the table. But on the other hand, think about this - these are <i>Jedi</i> we're talking about. We've seen little guys block laser bolts with their faces covered, without even breaking a sweat. With that intense training, I can see them being <i>very</i> proficient by the time they're nine or ten, and I'm not just talking about lightsabers here. Maybe that's part of the deal - no enemy would take a Jedi's little padawan seriously... until that padawan slashes his arm off.</font>