PDA

View Full Version : Clones Animated TV series!?! Whoa!

Reverend Strone
13 November 2002, 05:49 PM
It could be BS, or it could be the biggest thing since.

Check out the possible scoop here (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=13807)

Seghast
13 November 2002, 06:11 PM
If this is true, they'd better have some good animation. I mean like Justice League, Batman Beyond, or the look of the new He-Man. If they use the animation style done for most of the "cartoon-cartoons" (Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, etc), I will be extremely...NOT HAPPY.

In that scenario, I'm likely to organize a small army and lead an assault on CN and GL.

I think I'll start preparing for the worst... Anyone applying to be in my army in advance, let me know.

And someone please remind me to loot and pillage Skywalker Ranch when we launch the GL half of the campaign.

Reverend Strone
13 November 2002, 06:21 PM
Well personally- I'd far rather see a smaller concept live action series than a large concept animated one, but that's just how my tastes run. Still, it cou d be very cool so I'll wait and see what pans out.

Talonne Hauk
13 November 2002, 07:29 PM
While I agree with you, Reverend, the reality says a live-action show wouldn't do the movies justice. I'm sure that last statement left a few folks scratching their heads in puzzlement, so let me explain. One thing Star Wars is famous (and held in disdain by film snobs) for is over the top special effects sequences. Those kind of things can be done in animation much elaborately and cheaper in an animated sequence than in live action. I think animation could hold the best of both worlds; superior storytelling AND superb visuals. Live-action would sacrifice one or the other. Let's face it, Cartoon Network is ambitious with its licensing acquisitions, and they do a fantastic job, but they are basic cable, after all. They don't have true network pockets to play with.
So I'll be happy with an animated show. Another thing to consider is that voice talent is generally cheaper than live actors, because you can pay someone who has a voice similar to Natalie Portman's, but doesn't necessarily look like her to play Padme.
Either way, though, I consider this a real good reason to resubscribe to cable!

Ardent
13 November 2002, 07:50 PM
Actually, I hope CN outsources for the animation team on this. Brings in experienced action animators from Japan, at that. The Masters of the Universe is terrible. Animation AND (especially) story. It's very slow, very unoriginal and very uninteresting (this coming from someone who still has all of his He-Man playsets).

Let's face it, Cartoon Network is ambitious with its licensing acquisitions, and they do a fantastic job, but they are basic cable, after all. They don't have true network pockets to play with.

Whoa, where have you been? Cartoon Network is one of the big franchises under the AOL-Time Warner umbrella now. It's got plenty of money to throw around (in fact, quite a bit of my money). Hence all the big-budget productions and breakthroughs in negotiations of late. As well as a lot of the more ridiculous censorship.

All in all, it could be good or it could be a wash. Depends on how they produce.

Codym
13 November 2002, 08:14 PM
As long as its not that quasi-manga rubbish that most "older age group" cartoons turn out to be, I'll be all for it. Though hopefully, it this is true, it will center on the Jedi more than on the clones.

Reverend Strone
13 November 2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Talonne Hauk
While I agree with you, Reverend, the reality says a live-action show wouldn't do the movies justice. I'm sure that last statement left a few folks scratching their heads in puzzlement, so let me explain. One thing Star Wars is famous (and held in disdain by film snobs) for is over the top special effects sequences. Those kind of things can be done in animation much elaborately and cheaper in an animated sequence than in live action. I think animation could hold the best of both worlds; superior storytelling AND superb visuals...

... Another thing to consider is that voice talent is generally cheaper than live actors, because you can pay someone who has a voice similar to Natalie Portman's, but doesn't necessarily look like her to play Padme...

A year or two ago I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly on that first point Talonne, but with the recent advances in the industry and the state of computer effects work being done now, I'd have to say a well designed live action show could most definately do justice to the Star Wars Universe on a weekly basis. That's just my opinion though, so I respect yours on the matter and am not seeking to disprove it or anything.

On that second point about actors- I have to say you're right. In my perfect world any such series probably wouldn't include any of the movie cast for those reasons, and in the attempt to open the Universe beyond the field of those characters' experience.

All that aside, I'm anxious to see what this rumoured animated show turns out like. It could be great. I wonder if it's also not inconceivable that, knowing how George Lucas' tastes lie, it might even be a digitally animated show- ala Roughnecks? Again- wouldn't be my first choice, but I'll almost certainly watch it all the same.;)

hisham
13 November 2002, 08:41 PM
And if anyone doubts a war campaign could be pulled off effectively by an animated show with week after week of battles plus good characterization and excellent storyline where regular characters can die, just watch Roughnecks: Starship Troopers.

GO CARTOON NETWORK!!

Ardent
13 November 2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
All that aside, I'm anxious to see what this rumoured animated show turns out like. It could be great. I wonder if it's also not inconceivable that, knowing how George Lucas' tastes lie, it might even be a digitally animated show- ala Roughnecks? Again- wouldn't be my first choice, but I'll almost certainly watch it all the same.;)

Good gods no. Reboot was bad enough after the first couple of seasons, but am I the only person here who's subjected himself to the torture that is Shadow Worlds: War Planets (or whatever it is)? Just...no. Let's stay away from the all-digital animation genre. No offense, Reverend, but that's a terrible, terribly evil, horrible thought.

Reverend Strone
14 November 2002, 09:32 AM
None taken, as I said- it certainly wouldn't be my first choice by any means. I'm a live action kinda guy.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
14 November 2002, 09:40 AM
While I am also big fan of live action, I have to point out Transformers Beast Machines for another example of excellent digital animation.

dgswensen
14 November 2002, 10:44 AM
I think a Clone Wars cartoon could be very cool, especially if they have established characters like Mace Windu, Plo Koon, Ki-Adi Mundi, Nute Gunray, etc. etc. And it'd be more Star Wars -- who am I to turn up my nose?

As for look and feel -- I would actually like to see a combination of digital and conventional animation, like some of the new anime titles are doing -- Arjuna and Furi Kuri are two that come immediately to mind. They animate the characters normally and put them in digital environments that look animated, except more smooth and complicated -- and the effect is absolutely gorgeous.

I liked the idea behind Roughnecks but it was way too hard to tell the characters apart, at least for me. I think that's one of the areas where anime has it right -- very easy to tell characters apart (granted, it's because a lot of them have pink hair or what have you, but you see my point).

Nova Spice
14 November 2002, 01:57 PM
The only thing that bothers me about a TV show, especially Star Wars, is that it could very easily flop, or bring about bad repercussions for Episode III. I'd hate to get into a show, and I know myself along with many folks on the boards would get into a show like this quite easily, and then see the series end after only one season.

On the other hand, it could be bad for Episode III if it flopped because of poor storytelling and then the next thing you know, people remember watching some "strange" Star Wars cartoon that sucked and decide not to see Episode III.

That's just my two cents. Personally I wouldn't want to see a cartoon unless it was very, very, very good. ;) :D

Treefrog
14 November 2002, 07:40 PM
IF it does happen, and IF is a big word, IMHO this series should come out after Ep. III.That way it could be focused on more intently. I just hope it doesn't turn out like "Ewok Adventures" and "Droids". No offense to "Droids" fans out there.

Master_thorin
15 November 2002, 07:22 AM
Hey Crazy Idea, What if they called in the Swaggers!

hisham
15 November 2002, 12:55 PM
IF Swaggers were in control of character development on the show... allow me to give examples of what we would see onscreen:

In one of the battlefield scene, there would be in the background leading platoons of clonetroopers, among others, Donovan Morningfire and Obi-Wan Joshobi's Doza Crytos.

As main characters are walking through the corridors of an Acclamator cruiser, seen arguing in the background would be Trigger and Vixen.

Somewhere in a spaceport scene, there would be Tossk's Snarrsk leading Nova Spice's Krath Frex and Jaggard's Siofra to safety in a firefight.

In a war briefing, among the faces seen in the crowd are Corr Terek, Terras Jadeonar, Oora Turool and Otaku's Kasumi Mirumoto.

Also seen consorting with the bad guys are VadersGlove's Shasheen and Darth Cassed.

If only... if only.... *sigh*

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
15 November 2002, 05:15 PM
Sounds like it could be very dumb. Especially if Lucasfilm is writing it and then letting Cartoon Network animate it or something like that. For some reason I have more faith in Catoon Network to tell a good story than Lucasfilm nowadays... In fact, Cartoon Network is home to one of my favorite shows, Samurai Jack.

KnightStalker
15 November 2002, 05:54 PM
If they do a series, and do it amazingly well, I'd watch every episode, but if it's done along the lines of the old Ewoks cartoon, then it wouldn't appeal to me as much.

'Course if it was to feature some other Mandalorians that survived their massacre at the hands of the Jedi, then I'd <i>record</i> every episode. :p

Seghast
15 November 2002, 06:11 PM
Hisham, if they're going to do all that, they just gotta have my Jawa Jon Woo leading a platoon of clonetroopers (just because I'd be jealous if I was left out).

I have around 90% confidence that the storyline will be acceptable, but what worries me most is the animation quality. Judging by characters such as DeDe, they'd have no problem drawing Kaminoians. However, I'm worried about seeing overly-short clone troopers, or troopers with big, poofy blonde hair. Or to better emphasize, characters with round arms, and no fingers (like the Powerpuff Girls). If this is indeed real, they'll hopefully put their best staff on it, and/or hire outside talent (like from Japan, maybe).

Trigger
15 November 2002, 10:07 PM
um.......why would I be arguing with Vixen? Can't I be dragging a dead bounty in for the reward?

Andrw
16 November 2002, 07:09 AM
Id hope it has a good war campaign story line with some of the gundam series feel like 08th MS Team but maybe not centered exactly on a few groups of people like original Gundam but the bigger picture of the war. Id hope they have good animations something like Cowboy Bebop or some of the better Gundams.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
16 November 2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Andrw
Id hope it has a good war campaign story line with some of the gundam series feel like 08th MS Team but maybe not centered exactly on a few groups of people like original Gundam but the bigger picture of the war. Id hope they have good animations something like Cowboy Bebop or some of the better Gundams.

As long as it's not anime, right guys? Because then I'd have to commit suicide, and we probably don't need that right now.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
16 November 2002, 03:39 PM
Posted by Hisham
In a war briefing, among the faces seen in the crowd are Corr Terek, Terras Jadeonar, Oora Turool and Otaku's Kasumi Mirumoto

Much kind of you Hisham ;) That would be cool if such a cast was done!

Nova Spice
16 November 2002, 04:53 PM
Somewhere in a spaceport scene, there would be Tossk's Snarrsk leading Nova Spice's Krath Frex and Jaggard's Siofra to safety in a firefight.

Wow, cool that you mentioned Krath hish! I still have that drawing you did of him in my files. One of your best works IMO and this is not because it was a request you did for me; it simply was amazing, the richness of the drawing and the action sequence. I haven't seen it on the SWAG forums? It really deserves to be in your portfolio. ;)

Anyway, I imagine that if Krath was in the cartoon, there would be plenty of folks walking around with empty pockets. He had a flair for stealing things!

In a war briefing, among the faces seen in the crowd are Corr Terek, Terras Jadeonar, Oora Turool and Otaku's Kasumi Mirumoto.

Also funny you mentioned Oora since he was one of my PCs as well. In fact, he and Krath were a pretty good team together.

Anyway, I tend to agree with Treefrog and hope they put one out after Episode III. I'd hate to see the last film lose money because of a failed cartoon. :(

Reverend Strone
17 November 2002, 01:00 PM
Well here's (http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=13831) the latest news on the subject.

It looks like it's a done deal and that the Samurai Jack fans out there will be happy.

Dr_Worm
17 November 2002, 06:02 PM
Wow! I think this is tragically bad idea! Not only do I not trust them to write it worth a damn, but I also am not fond of the look of Samurai Jack. Not only was the ewok cartoon really bad, but does anyone remember the Star Trek Cartoon? It was really aweful.

I certainly will keep an open mind, but I am not renewing my cable subscription just yet.

Corr Terek
17 November 2002, 06:14 PM
Hey, the other night I was at Borders and saw two books originally printed in Japan. They were Japanese comics of A New Hope, and they'd been translated into English -- basically, the dialogue is the same as the movie.

All the characters are drawn as Manga, except for Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and Jabba, who look pretty normal. I actually think Princess Leia looks better as a Manga character.

The facial expressions were...intense. About what you'd expect from an anime.

I for one would not mind seeing a SW cartoon done in this style.

P.S. Thanks for the honorable mention, hisham!

Kas'ir Faywind
17 November 2002, 06:25 PM
*shivers* In the style of samarai jack! Well I don't think I'll be waiting for months to watch this one...

dgswensen
17 November 2002, 07:41 PM
Okay, so... I don't have cable, and I checked out Samurai Jack on the Web, and the only video clip they had required installing RealPlayer, which I outright refuse to do. So can some kind soul tell me what exactly the "style" of Samurai Jack is, and why it's so objectionable?

(I've seen some Samurai Jack stills, but they don't really tell me enough to say much one way or the other.)

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
17 November 2002, 09:15 PM
Samurai Jack, eh? Speak of the devil!

Originally posted by ALFRED_THE_EWOK
In fact, Cartoon Network is home to one of my favorite shows, Samurai Jack.

I'm actually warming up to this idea now, though how well a Samurai Jack-esque Star Wars show would look is maybe a little questionable, though I am a fan of the style. I'm not sure how you would describe the style, though (it does jump back in and out of widescreen and have lots of split screens for different action shots, which is the sort of thing that can be annoying when done wrong.)

Seghast
18 November 2002, 04:38 AM
Samurai Jack is a great show, but the animation style isn't suited for Star Wars at all, in my opinion. They still have time to choose a different style, but I have a bad feeling that they won't.

I think I'll begin organizing my retaliatory army now. General Trigger, go gather up your precious war elephants and prepare them for battle. Your orders are simple;

Wipe them out. All of them.

Trigger
18 November 2002, 08:18 AM
*The thundering sounds of hundreds of War Rancors marching in line fill the hills. On the horizon, a crazed Twi'lek is seen at the head of the great procession riding one of the great beasts, his trusty R2 flying shotgun next to him. The war band move towards the Cartoon Network.*

Personally, I love Samurai Jack. I even made a character based on him. But for a Star Wars cartoon, I have to agree with the masses.

*The assault begins*

Ghost In The Holocron
19 November 2002, 06:59 AM
:: OMG ::

Big Gendy Tartakovsky fan here. So if he's producing this with at least some of the tongue-in-cheek sensibility of Samurai Jack, well... Bring it on!... I'm imagining five minute Jedi vs. Jedi stare-down sequences. With that funky "Six Million Dollar Man" music in the background. And loving every minute of it.

Eek. My secret's out now. Gotta run back to hide in my secret lab before I get pelted by Ewok rocks.

- w.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
19 November 2002, 08:33 PM
They mentioned this on CNN today so hopefully it'll fly.

dragonseye
20 November 2002, 07:26 AM
dgswensen,

Samurai Jack's animation style is very siimplistic, but not the simplicity of other Cartoon Network animation originals. Basically, they took a lesson from the Japanese art style in that there are no hard lines (ie black lines filled in on the cell.) With their handling of action sequences, while they kept again to a more simplistic style, you still see a great deal of ation in it. They even do a slow motion action sequence in the premiere movie that's very reminiscent of martial arts movies. The backgrounds are also not extremley detailed, but there's enough there to carry your imagination much further.

As to mentionings of the "stare downs," those are the Iai duels performed by the characters (since the main character is a samurai.) But it would be quite appropriate to see two Jedi dueling in such a way, since much of the ideas for Jedi were based off of samurai.

(Joins Ghost in the Holocron before she gets pelted by rocks as well...) I actually think it would be neat to see such a cartoon using the Samurai Jack artwork, and to be honest, I had absolutely no interest in the Star Wars cartoon until I heard of this. (I'm just glad it's not the same people who did the new He Man cartoon- I don't think I could take the constant baton twirling clone troopers...)

Reverend Strone
2 December 2002, 09:21 PM
Things aren't looking good for the Clone Wars animated tv show guys. TheForce.net had this to say on the subject today-

When news first broke on the possibility of a Clone War cartoon - needless to say scores of Star Wars fans were thrilled. The prospect of some hi-quality animation set in the Star Wars universe got fans excited. TFN has been working to get the scoop on what exactly this will or maybe would have been like, posting a few updates in the last few weeks and now here's the latest:

Unfortunately, everyone here is talking about the Clone War series in the past tense. As in, not going to happen. The deal was going to be absolutely expansive - the Cartoon Network wanted some of a toy line and merchandising based on the new sub-franchise themselves, and Six Flags even wanted to make rides centered on them. This was going to be a huge operation, possibly as big as the movies themselves. "Event animation," not some cheap cartoon.

All that exists in all actuality is some concept art floating around offline and a short pilot type of episode - really at best described as a story demo reel that looks alot like Tartakovsky's stuff. Character elements look somewhat handdrawn, but it is completely CGI and very few people have been priviy enough to see it. And the now defunct Feature Films Division at ILM (Hulk, Frankenstein) are responsible for the project so far, which is going to also pose a problem since they no longer exist, being disbanded months before this took off. But the bottom line is that everyone on this end really wants to do it - but wants more that Lucasfilm will offer. As always, it seems to have boiled down to money unless someone blinks first.

Keep in mind this could change at a moment's notice: Lucasfilm could reduce the demand for the profits - the Cartoon Network could decide to back it no matter what the cost. But as of this writing, several insiders are saying this slam dunk landed like a brick at the expense of the Almighty Dollar.

Hopefully this is all part of the process and the companies can still work out some sort of deal. After deals with Fox, Pepsi, Hasbro that all cost them more than they returned, it seems to make us wonder if TCN is willing to assume such a risk as well. But man, it sure would be cool ...

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
2 December 2002, 09:56 PM
Two words - Bantha Poodoo

CaamasiJedi49
10 December 2002, 02:53 PM
I recently talked to the owner of Hasbro corporation, and he says they have been trying to get the go for a TV show, but GL isn't budging. He adds that all they need is some info or background info between the events of 2 and 3, and his approval, and they should get a good show working. No idea whether it will be animation or something like babylon 5

Caamasi Jedi 49

Ravnor
1 June 2006, 12:46 PM
I agree