PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Battle Deleated Scenes

Hephaestus
13 November 2002, 06:49 PM
Several months ago, I had heard that the Attack of the Clones DVD was going to include several deleted Jedi battle scenes on that took place on Geonosis.

Well, I picked up the DVD today (wide screen of course). I was really looking forward to seeing those rumored deleted scenes, but when I got home and popped in the second disc, I was surprised to find out that those rumored scenes weren't included. 8o

So, do I have to wait for a different DVD set to get those scenes? :?

Hephaestus

Codym
13 November 2002, 08:19 PM
There is actually a lot of doubt to whever or not those scenes actually exsist in any usable state. As it was, the romur (which also included another scene featuring an extended fight scene with Dooku and Yoda) was disproved a few weeks after the fact when the actual details of the DVD were released. So sorry to disappoint you, because those scenes are not coming (just like the mythical "third disc" for Phantom Menace.)

:(

Seghast
14 November 2002, 04:48 AM
Personally, I don't doubt that more deleted scenes are in existence, locked away in a vault somewhere at Skywalker Ranch. After Episode III comes out on DVD, GL will probably release another "Special Collector's Edition" set that includes DVDs of all six films, with extra DVDs full of deleted scenes, documentaries, and stuff put in to tease us and get us all hyped to buy the next big item, the "Hyper Deluxe Ultimate Collector's Edition Set."

Sadly, I'll fall for it and spend God knows how much money on it all.

strensk
14 November 2002, 05:51 AM
Which brings me to anothe point. Why not release the OT on DVD now?

People will buy it. Then he can add extra stuff in three or four years and resell them again when he does his special edition of Episodes I-III.

Just my two cents.

dgswensen
14 November 2002, 08:06 AM
Lucas seems pretty dedicated to doing it right. Let's face it, the video release schedule for the original trilogy has been pretty infamous. There was the classic trilogy, then the special edition, then another edition of the special edition -- and fans would squall and whine like someone had put a gun to their head, forcing them to buy each and every edition.

(I myself own three copies of the trilogy in its various form, but I realize I'm a human being with free will -- and at this point I'm glad I own a copy of the original trilogy before the questionable improvements of the Special Edition.)

Lucas even took some flak for turning out the Phantom Menace on DVD months before the VHS -- as if people didn't have a choice there, either. I have noted, however, that the Episode II VHS and DVD came out on the same day -- which means Lucasfilm seems to learn from its bad PR.

If Lucas turns out a cheap OT DVD set now, people will buy it -- but then they will blame Lucas when he turns out a special edition later, and pretend they had no choice in the matter, or no inkling that a more complex edition was coming. And then they will piss and moan some more.

I think Lucasfilm knows that if they do a top-flight original trilogy DVD set, and do it once, and make it the definitive set, then the fans will pretty much forget about how long it took as soon as they have it in their hot little hands.

Whereas if he turns out so much as two versions of the OT DVD, he will be vilified as a money-grubbing devil for all time. Well -- he will anyway, but just to a greater degree.

That's my theory anyway. It seems to me that they do listen to the fans down at Lucasfilm. Hate Jar Jar? He's in the second movie for all of ten seconds. Feel cheated that the VHS came out before the DVD? Fine, now they come out on the same day. Don't want to buy the OT DVD twice? Fine -- you can't buy it at all until the Special Edition is done.

A bit of a two-edged sword, it seems, but there you have it.

Kobayashi_Maru
20 November 2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by dgswensen
Lucas even took some flak for turning out the Phantom Menace on DVD months before the VHS -- as if people didn't have a choice there, either. I have noted, however, that the Episode II VHS and DVD came out on the same day -- which means Lucasfilm seems to learn from its bad PR.

Don't you mean the VHS before the DVD, in the case of the Phantom Menace?

I don't think there will ever just be one coming of the OT on DVD. In our lives we will probably see 3-6 different releases. We probably see each released individually, then together by threes, then all together, then each with the deleted scenes re-added, then the extended versions by threes, then the extended versions all together. They'll milk it for what they can. At least for the generations yet (to be born) to own their copy. Plus who cares how much flak you take as long as they are still buying three copies on VHS and three copies on DVD.

My question about the deleted scenes is, where is the scene with Dooku weilding one red and one blue lightsabre? It's in the RCR. I was kinda hoping to see more of it in the deleted scenes.

dgswensen
20 November 2002, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I mixed my words up, sorry about that.

And if you don't like it, you don't have to buy any of them. You're a human being with free will. If you think a better version is coming down the pike months or years in the future, then wait for it.

It takes two to tango. Because a company puts the material out there doesn't obligate you to buy it. And if people didn't buy it because they're impatient and want their fix, then the ploy wouldn't make any money and they wouldn't do it anymore!

So I don't think much of the "Lucas is evil and bad for turning out multiple editions" riff. That ploy requires complicity from the consumer in order to work.

Jedi_Staailis
20 November 2002, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty happy with the deleted scenes they have on the DVD. In fact (and am I ever going to be flamed for this), I would rather have what's on there now than more lightsaber fighting sequences. I thought a lot of the character development in AotC was skimmed over. The DVD helps flesh out the characters a little better, and makes Anakin and Padme a little more human. While lightsaber fights are impressive, it's the characters that carry the story.

Kobayashi_Maru
21 November 2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by dgswensen
And if you don't like it, you don't have to buy any of them. You're a human being with free will. If you think a better version is coming down the pike months or years in the future, then wait for it.

It takes two to tango. Because a company puts the material out there doesn't obligate you to buy it. And if people didn't buy it because they're impatient and want their fix, then the ploy wouldn't make any money and they wouldn't do it anymore!

So I don't think much of the "Lucas is evil and bad for turning out multiple editions" riff. That ploy requires complicity from the consumer in order to work.

Slow down there tex, no-one said anything about Lucas being evil or that I was even complaining about the way I believe they will release the trilogy. You said there would be one definitive version and I disagreed, then went on to explain how I thought it might work.

Talk about over reacting. Have you ever thought about switching to decaf? If not, maybe you should.

dgswensen
21 November 2002, 08:45 AM
We probably see each released individually, then together by threes, then all together, then each with the deleted scenes re-added, then the extended versions by threes, then the extended versions all together. They'll milk it for what they can. Plus who cares how much flak you take as long as they are still buying three copies on VHS and three copies on DVD.

I apologize if I misconstrued your tone, but this sounded awfully bitter to me. "They'll milk it for all they can" is difficult for me to interpret as anything but a complaint. But, I'll take you at your word. You say you're not complaining -- good enough for me.

And I do think that Lucasfilm is moving away from their previous model of marketing things. The TPM and AOTC DVDs are pretty definitive -- I have a hard time imagining needing to buy a more definitive edition down the road. Both have more special features than anyone really needs.

I mean, at this point, there are fewer editions of AOTC than there are of Fellowship of the Ring. Two fewer, in fact, since Fellowship has two versions of the Extended Edition (the regular and gift set). Yet, oddly enough, nary a peep from anyone about that, which I find funny.

I also think the multiple editions of the original trilogy was a by-product of the Special Editions coming out -- which I don't think there will be for the prequels. Lucas has expressed his desire to move on to other things after Episode III, and I doubt he'll live long enough to do some kind of 20th anniversary edition for the prequels.

Do I think there will be only one release of the OT DVDs ever? Of course not. Just like any other movie, it will probably have a run, then go away for awhile, then come back cheaper or in a box or what have you. But what I'm saying is I don't there will be vanilla OT DVD, then special edition, then super-special-edition, etc. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. But I don't see it happening. Because they've done exactly the opposite with all the Star Wars DVDs so far.

BTW, I'm sorry if you thought I was attacking you for your ideas -- if I phrased myself harshly, I apologize, as that was not my intent. But there's no need to make it personal with "switching to decaf" cracks, if you please.