PDA

View Full Version : Macc user in desperate need of help!

Admiral_Atredies
14 November 2002, 01:26 PM
Ok, its come down to the last straw. I (obviously) own a Macintosh, and its great for most things except 1:getting attachments from this site! I have tried dozens of times, and every time it gives me a warning that there is no application to open the file. So, every time I save the file, I try nearly every dot(blah blah blah) there is. Normally, I can open .txt and .cwk files, but all it gives me is some gibberish code. .php gives me the same results, and I can't even open a .pdf. Please, are there any other poor Mac users missing out on some of these great attachments? If so, have you found a way to get them to work, because I really feel that I'm missing out on some great stuff here...

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
14 November 2002, 01:55 PM
One of my players uses a Mac and she downloads pdf files from the HoloNet fine. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Chris Curtis
14 November 2002, 03:40 PM
Maybe try a different browser with which to access the site? I'd personally suggest Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org/).

smokn_willie
15 November 2002, 05:26 AM
I have had trouble in the past downloading attachments or files from the net. My trouble was that I could save the file successfully but it would not open if the file was compressed. I just switched to an updated version of stuff it and my problem was over. If this is what is happening to you just try a different compression/decompression tool and hopefully your problem will be solved.

Jaggard
15 November 2002, 09:13 AM
adobe acrobat reads pdf. if you don't have it that may be your problem. I use a make and I sometimes get the same problems with IE so I switch to Netscape. I have 'em both for such occasions as images not working off e-bay.

Admiral_Atredies
15 November 2002, 02:36 PM
Well, the problem is neither unstuffing attachments or reading them (I have Acrobat), but only getting documents from this site. It must be because all of the attachments are saved as word or orther documents, but my computer should be able to translate them fine. I do remember getting a .txt fine a while ago, but that's how it was posted. Most of the attachments I see here are .phps.

BTW: This is probably just something with my computer, but nothing on this sight will highlight (with the exception of a new post box). What's the deal with that?

FlipDog 2000
16 November 2002, 06:47 PM
I just thought of something, and Jaggard said it earlier.
Make the switch to Netscape, it will almost always make things run smoother. However, find a PC and download the standalone version and burn it to a CD. Things run MUCH smoother if you do that.