PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Temple on Coruscant : What does the Empire do with it?

Ash
18 November 2002, 04:03 AM
I'm looking for any information concerning what exactly the Empire does with the Jedi Temple on Coruscant after the Clone Wars. Do they pillage and destroy it or does Palpatine do the smart thing and take his time ripping it's secrets and knowledge apart? I'm sure some of this will be answered in the next movie but I'm starting work on a screenplay idea for a fan film concerning this and would appreciate as much detail and references as possible. Thanks for any help the community can provide!

:D

Seghast
18 November 2002, 04:33 AM
I've heard Palpatine had it destroyed as a demonstration of his hatred for the Jedi, but I've also heard he used it as his personal little "mini-palace", including turning the Council Chamber into his own throne room.

Looking at some of the other things Palpatine has done, I'd say he took the Temple over and used it as his own little playground.

Reverend Strone
18 November 2002, 09:42 AM
Wow- interesting question. I'd go with the notion of him shifting in and taking over. There'd be a ton of knowledge in those vaults, and knowledge being power, I can't imagine the Emperor passing up such an opportunity. It also has great symbolism (mind you- so does demolishing it).

Purely conjectural guesswork of course.

Ardent
18 November 2002, 09:58 AM
Well, right now we can only theorize Lucas' approach but...

In the NJO saga, enough is given to us for us to draw this conclusion: it was "bricked over" and built on. Palpatine didn't want the visible reminder, but didn't want to destroy all the information and artifacts it contained. Some people have theorized the Imperial Museum was built over it, and it actually housed his personal collection of trophies from slain Jedi.

Trigger
18 November 2002, 10:58 AM
Judging by how Palpatine either destroyed Jedi history and artifacts, or hoarded them to play with when he wasnt terrorizing countless billions, I think Ardent and Seghast both have valid points. I remember in Traitor, Vergere shows Jacen whats left of the temple. I think Palpatine moved in and turned it into his own little funhouse, then decided to branch the Museum off to the side of the temple and move the artifacts there, and still thumb his nose at the Jedi by ruling the Empire from the temple.

Wade Trenor
18 November 2002, 11:15 AM
In Dark Horses' Infinities: A New Hope comic series, issue #2, it shows Palpatine using the council chambers as the Imperial Residence.

ElfBoyM
18 November 2002, 11:43 AM
Is it just me, or does the Emperor's throne room on the second Death Star look eeily like the central tower of the Jedi Temple?

Seghast
18 November 2002, 06:03 PM
Hi, kids! Welcome to 'Palpatine's Playhouse'! Today's secret word is "genocide"!.

I never noticed that, elfboy, but I'd be quite glad to research it over the weekend when I have some more time.

ElfBoyM
18 November 2002, 06:09 PM
I dunno, it just struck me today. Sadly, I son't have either movies here with me to view.
But wouldn't it be great if Palpatine did take the Jeid Temple SPire and just transplanted it to the Death Star? He takes something that was once a symbol of peace and justice in the galaxy and placing it on the empitome of evil?

Nova Spice
18 November 2002, 06:44 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but what if the Separatists destroy the Jedi Temple (or rather Dooku under the veil of Separatist terrorists). For some odd reason, I keep seeing a lightsaber duel in the Council Chamber. I've always imagined the line: "Vader hunted down and destroyed the Jedi," to possibly mean Anakin actually killed the Jedi Council in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Then I figured it would be destroyed by the Separatists (theory one) or be taken over by Palpatine as a souvenir (theory two).

Episode III Scenario
I can just see the doors sliding open to the Council Chamber, the Jedi Council sitting around discussing the elusiveness of the dark side, and in walks Anakin in dark robes, his head down, his eyes squinting in hatred.
(Yoda): "Disturb us you do young Skywalker."
(Mace Windu): "What is the cause of this interruption?"
From behind Anakin, the visage of Dooku appears.
(Dooku): "He wanted to show an old man what you had done with the place."
All Jedi stand up and ignite lightsabers.
(Ki-Adi Mundi): "What treachery is this?"
(Anakin Skywalker): "The Council has been decomissioned........permanently."
Anakin and Dooku ignite their lightsabers and then you have a huge battle on your hands. When the dust clears, all the Council members are dead save for Yoda and Anakin in turn betrays Dooku, killing him at Palpatine's bidding. Next thing you know, the Jedi Temple is the personal and private property of Emperor Palpatine.

Anyway, the above scenario is something I have wanted to see happen. That's what I hope happens with the Jedi Temple. :D :p

Darien_Shadowfyre
18 November 2002, 10:43 PM
In my campagin, the Jedi Temple was turned into part Imperial Museum, part Emperor's Home-Away-from-Home. The main ziggurat was actually sealed off and no one accessed until shortly after Dark Empire. Luke is considering using it instead of Yavin IV for his new Academy. :)

Arcome
19 November 2002, 05:51 AM
I think that perhaps the Jedi might have destroyed the temple themselves so thier artifacts don't fall into the wrong hands.

Ghost In The Holocron
19 November 2002, 08:28 PM
from Arcome: I think that perhaps the Jedi might have destroyed the temple themselves so thier artifacts don't fall into the wrong hands.

That's an interesting proposal.

I can't say much about what Lucas has in store for the Temple -- if ever it's dealt with conclusively on screen in the next episode (or perhaps in that rumored AotC cartoon series). However, in my own campaign, the Temple is ransacked by the Empire, completely destroyed (as a symbolic gesture), and it's remaining artifacts shipped to a secret Imperial warehouse (ala X-files, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc.). I'm still waiting for the day when my campaign's storyline comes up with an opportunity to send the players off to raid the warehouse.

Arcome
21 November 2002, 08:32 AM
I read in STAR WARS THE JEDI ACADEMY TRILOGY:JEDI SEARCH that the Empiror had it turned into his living quarters. Now that the Rebels won, they moved everything back to Coruscant, even though Luke didn't approve of it, even though he couldn't detect any remaining essence of the Dark Side. He also said, just because he couldn't detect anything there, doesn't mean there isn't.hope that helps.--Arcome

FlipDog 2000
21 November 2002, 09:06 AM
All that I have heard / read, is that once the Jedi Purge begins, it mysteriously collapses, killing many Jedi in the process. The newfound Imperials call it an attack by the seperatists in retribution for the tyrany of the Republic.

dgswensen
21 November 2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by FlipDog 2000
All that I have heard / read, is that once the Jedi Purge begins, it mysteriously collapses, killing many Jedi in the process. The newfound Imperials call it an attack by the seperatists in retribution for the tyrany of the Republic.

What if the seperatists really did do it?

It gets awfully confusing -- because in some ways it seems like the seperatist movement seems to become the Rebel Alliance eventually. So does that mean Dooku / Tyranus is, at first, spearheading the Rebellion? Do the early Rebels kill the Jedi?

Eh... my head's spinning...

Plys Tay
30 November 2002, 06:46 PM
Way too many choices. My favorite is to words: Orbital Bombardment. Somebody, either our friend (or is it fiend) Palpy or the Seperatist move several astroid into an orbit to intersect the planet right at the Jedi Temple. Doesn't matter who the Seperatists get blamed anyway.

Ravager_of_worlds
2 December 2002, 06:59 AM
I think an evil dark lord of the Sith is very likely to urinate on Yoda's favorite meditation couch, defecate on Mace's lightsaber collection and spit on Obi-Wan's Jedi of the Year plaque. After 1,000+ years, having a SIth victory is oh so sweet. Too bad its so short lived. But considering the EU of the New Republic, I think the Star Wars galaxy was destined to be flushed down the toilet.

please excuse my potty humor. :)