PDA

View Full Version : Nerdy question about Episode II

dgswensen
21 November 2002, 09:13 AM
I'd like to pick some Holonet brains briefly. There is a scene in Episode II that is kind of bothering me a little bit.

If you watch the end of the arena scene, when the Republic gunships swoop down and rescue everybody -- near the end, as they are taking off again, you see a clonetrooper come down with his blue-bolt firing blaster rifle, let off one shot, and completely take out a destroyer droid.

Now, there are a couple diffierent possible explanations for this:

1) The destroyer's shields were down or "worn out," somehow, which I guess is possible, or

2) The Republic has some kind of powerful infantry weapon that can take the destroyers out.

The rulebook just shows the clonetroopers as having regular blaster rifles, so no help there -- but what I'm saying is, there's visual evidence that there is a "scale" to the weapons, i.e. Anakin blowing away the destroyers with one shot in TPM. Whereas there is no real visual evidence that you can wear down a destroyer's shields with regular blaster bolts. After all, if you could do that easily, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan would have just stood there in TPM blowing the droideka's blaster bolts back at them until they wore down the shields and won the day.

So do you think it's possible the Republic has some kind of man-portable weapon that can blow through destroyer shields, or am I just... you know, making way too much out of this, like a big geek?

Seghast
21 November 2002, 09:31 AM
Looking at the size and power of the weapon, I think it was a heavy repeater. I still use D6, and the heavy repeater does 8d as compared to an E-11 at 5d. We've seen that standard blasters (and blaster pistols) don't work against their shields (I estimate the blaster pistols to be 3 or 4d), but a heavy repeater is far more powerful.

Or maybe he ripped it off of a military speeder somewhere.

Either way, I want one.

Jim Williams
21 November 2002, 09:46 AM
I always assumed there were two kinds of Destroyers...the expensive ones with shields and the less-expensive-but-much-more-cost-effective-when-you-order-a-thousand-units-or-more kind. We do only see shielded droid dekkas on Gunray's ship and in the Theed hangar, correct? So I would figure the shielded models are used for special guard duty, and the unshielded ones can be taken out relatively easily.

Gotta love the firepower on those babies!

Oh yeah, plus the clonetrooper may have scored some kind of critical hit right in its reactor?!!?

Jedi_Staailis
21 November 2002, 09:49 AM
I wondered about that also. I don't recall a shield bubble around the destroyer droid, which is usually visible in TPM. Maybe some droids were produced without shield generators, or maybe the droids in the arena were moving a in their rolling format frequently, and had their sheilds down. This explanation is a little weak, because the battle had been raging and it would make sense to have the droids use their shields. However, that's the explanation I would use, even if it is a little weak.

[Edit] Jim Williams beat me to the punch with the two different models idea. Sorry, I'm repeating him.

farr0095
21 November 2002, 10:56 AM
I'm sure that someone's going to get me for this since I'm not popping in either movie right now to check, but I thought that Destroyer's couldn't use their shields any time they were moving: either walking or rolling. It's also possible that that droid had already soaked a lot of fire, and therefore its shields were wiped out.

Just a thought.

Reverend Strone
21 November 2002, 12:45 PM
farr0095 could be right there. In the battle on the plains of Naboo between the Trade Federation forces and Gungans I recall seeing at least one Destroyer droid going down without any hint of shields. Was he perhaps moving at the time, or did he not have a shield generator in the first place? This could also support Jim and Jedi Satailis in their hypothesis.

hisham
21 November 2002, 01:02 PM
I read somewhere on the net, I forgot where, that the droideka at the ground battle on Naboo, had just unfurled into walk mode before being hit. The theory was that there is a moment after transforming when the shields haven't come on yet which makes all shield-bearing destroyers vulnerable to weapons.

And Reverend, was the droid you thought of the one whose leg was shot off by Jar Jar when he got his foot tangled in the carcass of an infantry battle droid?

ElfWord
21 November 2002, 03:38 PM
But in the scene from TPM, when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are running away, don't the droids try to follow after them, but can't keep up, and they still have their shields on? I dunno, don't have the movie with me right now but that's what I remember.

Reverend Strone
21 November 2002, 03:40 PM
It's been a while since I saw Ep 1 hisham, but I'm pretty sure that's the one.

Fred Getce
21 November 2002, 04:01 PM
I think that that model normally doesn't have a shield generator or Obi-Wan wouldn't have been so surprised when they first demonstrated this ability in TPM.

OB1: "Master Destroyers!"

OB1 and Qui Gon prepare for battle against droid types that they obviously know about. They erect shields up just before they open fire.

OB1: "They have shield generators."
Qui-Gonn: "It's a stand off. Lets go."

So I would say that the destroyer droids normally do not have shields but for trade federation had a better model equipped with a shield generator for high security level.

Codym
21 November 2002, 05:26 PM
The shields on the destoryers, when active, are visible, and cannot only seem to work when the droid is stationary. The droid Jar Jar takes out seems to be advancing on another gungan at the time, and has no visible shields, nor do any in Attack of the Clones. It's possible, as suggested, only a few of these droids actually have them, or they were removed for cost purposes (by the Geonosians or someone else) in the meantime.

Lord Kjeran
21 November 2002, 07:23 PM
Chello!

I agree...the droidekas are normally unshielded.

Of course, I play Galactic Battlegrounds too. ;) In that game, destoyers are available at Tech level 3, but are unshielded. They get an upgrade at 4 that makes them shielded and more powerful.

Tony

Arcome
22 November 2002, 07:57 AM
First off, there are no nerdy questions about Star Wars. That is a pretty good question too. Maybe it was an ion pulse...?.-- Arcome