PDA

View Full Version : Battles of the Galactic Civil War

Nova Spice
28 November 2002, 07:35 PM
As we all know, the Galactic Civil War was depicted in the original trilogy (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi). For such a tumultuous time, I have often wondered if any other "significant" battles took place besides Yavin, Hoth, and Endor. I remember reading about Derra IV, which was a slaughter of Rebel forces just prior to Hoth, but besides those four I am not aware of any battles or sites where conflicts took place? Surely there are many other battles that involved Rebel and Imperial forces besides those mentioned?

Anyone know something I don't? This is something that has always nagged me a bit and I figured this was the place to ask! :D

Wedge Antilles, Rogue Leader
29 November 2002, 05:25 PM
The Galactic Civil War continued on until a peace treaty was signed during Timothy Zahn's "Vision of the future." During the original trilogy, there weren't many battles deside Hoth, Yavin, Endor, and Derra IV except for some guerilla raids. Rogue Squadron saw action at Gall and even Coruscant between ESB and ROTJ, plus everything from the rogue Squadron 3D game. Continuing after Endor, you have the Battle of Sluis Van, the Battle of Calamari, the Assault on Wayland, the Assault on Byss, the Battle of Coruscant, the Second Battle of Coruscant, etc., etc.

Reverend Strone
29 November 2002, 05:55 PM
I guess it makes sense that the less well equipped Rebellion would have tried to avoid large and expensive engagements in which they were clearly outclassed in terms of resources and hardware.

My view is that the big battles we saw in the Trilogy are likely the exceptions to general Rebel activity rather than the norm. While there must have been other engagements, I would imagine most of their activities would be more on the scale of small raids, hit and fades, special ops missions and the like. I can't imagine an organisation as stretched for resources and equipment as the Rebellion seeking to go toe to toe with the Empire all that often.

The line Mon Mothma delivers in 'Jedi' about the Empire being spread around the Galaxy in a vain effort to engage them would seem to support this. It's logical that the Empire would want to draw out Rebellion forces in to the open where they can easily out match them. Endor seemed to be a very special case, and really one of those once in a lifetime opportunities that the Rebel leaders felt was worth pouring all their resources in to.

That's just my view of course. I could be wrong.

gmjabreson
16 June 2006, 10:37 AM
the Battle of Tiems, the Battle of Charenthoth, the Battle of Ralltiir(where leia learned about the death star), Battle of Tangrene, Battle of Bilbringi, Battle of Mon Calamari (not with the World Devastators)

tap, tap, tap, goes fingers on keyboard as I try to think of more. Oh blast, when I think of more, I'll come back.