PDA

View Full Version : Outbound Flight Project Revealed

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
28 November 2002, 11:40 PM
Well TheForce.Net Books section has a great article (http://www.theforce.net/books/index.shtml#18896) about the future Zahn novel entitled 'Survivorís Quest.' The most curious thing to me was that they listed the novel as going to take place 3 years after the Hand of Thrawn Duology. I guess that means it will be set during the same time frame as Anakin Solo's tenure at the Jedi Academy.

Thoughts?

Talon Razor 'GM'
29 November 2002, 12:16 AM
Great! Zhan is such a better writer then the other ones. I was getting sick of reading these half-thought out books. I mean, I bet I could write something better then most of these author.

(The ones that really bug me is the authors that do no research. Like when they say that an X-wing does a barrle roll and fire its turbolasers. IT'S NOT TURBOLASER!!!! IF U LOOK AT ANY STUPID BOOK IT WILL TELL YOU THAT, YOU CRUDDY EXUSE FOR A WRITTER!!!:rolleyes: )

*deep breath of air* I am ok now. All right I am much better. Were was I?.... oh ya!

Anyway, I can't wait. It will be great to read about the Outbound Project and I love the Chiss!

Anyhoo thanks to letting me rant! lol:D

Codym
29 November 2002, 04:14 AM
This is the best Star Wars book news I have heard since the rumor he'd be returning to the universe surfaced. Not one, but TWO books. Better yet, a post-clone war novel unconnected to the NJO! Okay, I biased.

There hasn't been a EU villian as good as Thrawn for many moons (if ever,) so it will be good to see him back in action during his younger days. Survivor's Quest is also very intriguing. Luke, Mara, the Chriss. This could truly rock. I can almost hear the John Williams soundtrack all ready ... no wait, sorry, that's WinAmp.

ElfWord
29 November 2002, 08:05 AM
I hope to see more character development for Thrawn. It seems to me that he was a brilliant man with more concern for the stability of the galaxy than for the Empire. Hopefully we'll get to learn more about him, his interaction with the chiss, and possibly his personal life.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
29 November 2002, 09:30 AM
Well, I don't know about the two books Codym, everything that I have read points to a single novel.

Elfword - I think that that's the whole point of the novel. Getting o really know how and exactly why Thrawn destroyed the OFP. Along with his time stranded alone on after the Chiss left him and before the Imperial forces found him.

Armadious
29 November 2002, 09:39 AM
Read the aticle on TF.net... Two books.

If I understand it, the first one written is to be the Luke/Mara in Unknown regious. The second is to be Out-bound flight project and Thrawn.

They are suposed to tie in to one another.

All I can say is, its about time... and I am glad I managed to survive NJO, and keep an intrest in SW novels this long.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
29 November 2002, 10:36 AM
I was just referring to the New Republic Era novel, not the prequel one. I see see how everyone got confused. My Bad.

But a discussion of the 'Adventures of a Young Grand Admiral' novel should take place in the appropriate forum.

I just think that it will be interesting to see which Zahn writes first along with how much information from the first will become common knowledge in 'Survivorís Quest.'

Arakyd
29 November 2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by FrobiWanKenobi
But a discussion of the 'Adventures of a Young Grand Admiral' novel should take place in the appropriate forum.

If the books tie into one another. I have no problem with both of them being discussed in this thread.

Reverend Strone
29 November 2002, 05:34 PM
I'll add my voice to those excited about these books.

After reading Zahn's last duology, I came away feeling as though there wasn't sufficient payoff, and so many stories were left untold. By the sounds, these two should go a long way towards satiating my appetite in theis regard.

In my opinion Zahn's also one of the better writers of EU SW books that I've read, so it'll be great to read more of his work. I had resigned myself to the Hand of Thrawn being his last SW novels. Nice to be wrong!

I'm adamant we don't need more ubervillains in SW- we already have plenty, and their stories haven't all been told. Thrawn is most definately one of these, so it's great to hear we'll be able to learn more about him and explore his tantalizing past. I'd rather have that then some new Sith Lord, Extra-Galactic-Uber-Alien or Imperial Warlord, but that's just my tastes.

Ardent
2 December 2002, 11:04 AM
First off, I'm happy Zahn is taking the time to bring something back to the fanbase that built his following. ;) Not as happy as I'd be if they announced Stackpole was going to be covering some of the late NRE Rogue Squadron stuff...but happy nonetheless. ;)

Secondly, keep in mind that authors aren't hired because they're the biggest fanboy. In fact, experience suggests that being a fanboy would probably just hurt your ability to write Star Wars, as you'd pull so many obscure details and trivia into your stories it'd turn the typical reader off. Admittedly, the turbolaser thing should have been caught in proof-reading, but c'est la vie.

Finally, I have absolutely no doubt this whole thing will somehow tie into the NJO saga currently unfolding. None whatsoever. Same as Rogue Planet tied into it. The same as Crimson Empire II tied into it. The NJO saga, if you're willing to poke around in backsources and EU novels, has been building for a while. As far back as the Hand of Thrawn Duology, if you follow my train of thought. The only reason to spread some illumination on the Outbound Flight project now is to allow us (the fans) a closer look at the manipulations of the Empire and the effort the Cheunh Imperium has put into staving off the Yuuzhan Vong.

I'm sure I'll be disappointed when this novel casts Thrawn as some sort of hero (I feel he's a very cool villain because he's not necessarily evil, but confirming his 'goodness' would be a little cheesy IMHO). As far as villains, I hope Nom Anor makes an appearance because, IMHO, he's the best protagonist in the NRE/NJO eras of Star Wars.

Codym
2 December 2002, 07:58 PM
I still holding out for this to have no connection to the NJO. It still too early for Zahn to step in and fix things like he did (or at leasted attempted to) in the Hand of Thrawn duology, and it would be nice for this to be a self contained adventure that does not lead onto further "twists" in the NJO. I would actually like this to be the one where we learn more about Thrawn through his people's eyes, while hopefully the prequel will deal with Thrawn and his large (and admittedly brilliant) ego. It would be nice to have Star Wars novel, full stop.

As it is, Zahn's return will no doubt be the most anticipated book release for Star Wars before Episode III, and has all ready replaced Shatterpoint for myself. I feel sorry for the hype he will have to live up to, but as he's proven with both his tie-in fiction and original stuff, he's always a great read.

Ardent
2 December 2002, 10:21 PM
You realize that, when he's writing Star Wars, Zahn has standards and procedure to follow just like any other stable author. No matter how "big name" he is, he can't go throwing the approved plotlines out the window because 'he wants to.'

As my friend Mike is wont to say "nothing in Star Wars stands alone except for the movies." If you ignore the movies, the Expanded Universe functions somewhat like a house of cards: if you try to pull one lose to suit your own purposes, the whole pile crumbles and you've got to start over.

Zahn would be insane to try and duck the YV issue. He practically brought it up to begin with in the Hand of Thrawn Duology. LIke I said before, this novel will be a nice interlude, shed a little more light on Chiss society, help us understand Thrawn's true position but...hopefully, won't do anything stupid like cast Thrawn as a hero or 'ignore' the YV threat storyline.

Nova Spice
3 December 2002, 04:54 PM
I agree with Ardent in this discussion. Zahn, a great author, no doubt has plans for the two novels to tie-in with ongoing plot in the New Jedi Order or whatever series comes after the NJO (Shelly Shapiro made a comment a while back that the New Jedi Order would not end with the threat of the Vong vanquished...and naturally I'm sure there will be a future series post-NJO that deals with the adventures of Jacen, Jaina, and Ben.)

Zahn's five books (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future) have all been building blocks for an ever-expanding universe that is Star Wars. The EU has been fully connected with the NJO as well as been sent into an entirely new direction that truly brings out the best in Star Wars.

Look at the protagonists and events in the New Jedi Order and you'll see Zahn written all over the 14 books thus far.

-Jacen and Jaina (born in The Last Command and the focus of the NJO plotline)
-Pellaeon (Zahn's good bad guy who has risen to be the leader of the Empire in the NJO)
-Chiss (Zahn's original creations....a mysterious race with many secrets....Jag Fel stems directly from the Chiss)
-Yuuzhan Vong (hinted at in HoT Duology as conquerors being repelled by the Chiss.....um, there would be no NJO without these guys)
-Mara and Luke (a bold move, but a good one for these two to marry.....current leaders of the Jedi Order in the NJO series)

IMO, there is no way that the two upcoming novels won't tie-in with the NJO series (or the series thereafter). There's too much evidence and support that shows how much influence he, of all writers, has had on the creation and the story of the NJO. :D ;)

RoyalGuard
4 December 2002, 12:08 PM
hmm, I'd be cautious about automatically linking the Y-V to the fearsome threat that the Chiss are fighting, after all, none of the Vong characters in the NJO, including overlord Shimrra, have mentioned a second stalled offensive in the Unknown Regions.

I look forwards, as always, to the Zahn novels, and hope fervently that the assigning of James Luceno to the last books in the NJO is reversed and that either Stackpole or Zahn round it off.

I live in hope!

Also Nova Spice neglected the fine graphic novels Zahn has co-authored, including Mara Jade, the Emperor's hand. Also, a minor correction, Jaged Fel stems directly from Baron Soontir Fel, from the Rogue Squadron graphic novels (I forget if they were authored by Stackpole or Zahn), his involvement with the Chiss was only revealed by Zahn in the HoT, having been a mystery for several years.

Ardent
4 December 2002, 01:55 PM
Uhh...I wouldn't. Not at all. I've read every single one of the NJO saga novels twice through (except Star by Star which has been thumbed through thrice), and everything leads me to believe that Jag Fel knows exactly what he's getting into with the YV.

As far as Luceno getting replaced, I doubt it. Luceno is a talented author, one that's shown (me, at least) time and again that he can make a book written along strict guidelines interesting and worth reading for more than the "read that" factor.

Mara Jade, Emperor's Hand is the worst piece of writing I've seen from Zahn, frankly. It could have been a lot better.

Jag Fel does stem directly from the Chiss, although not from the Cheunh Imperium. Jag is a product not only of his father, Baron Soontir Fel, but of his uncle, Wedge Antilles, and House Nuruodo. His skills at his age far exceed both his father's and his uncle's...about the only people he has issues keeping up with are the Solos, who are known for their hot hands at the stick.

Kal_Myadon
23 December 2002, 07:03 AM
This is the news that I have been waiting for Zahn reutrns to the EU, ah finally

Kal