PDA

View Full Version : Building Lightsabers in the NJO

NilAdmirari
2 December 2002, 11:45 AM
Alright I've done lots of searching about for building lightsabers in the New Jedi Order and have come up with very little. My big question is where the hell do they get the crystals? We know they don't make em, else all they're blades would be red. We also know that Illum isn't where they get them since that was lost with the Old Republic. So...where do all these crystals come from?

ElfWord
2 December 2002, 06:31 PM
My players can either buy them or find them somewhere in the galaxy. Gems are usually easy to find somewhere, it's a big galaxy and gemstones are pretty common. Possibly, you could simply have the master give them to the student, no explanation given.

Ardent
2 December 2002, 10:42 PM
My group uses precious gemstones, arranged in filtering arrays to concentrate the prismatic spectrum for the blade formation (and an incredibly wide array of colors and effects). In simpler terms: lots of really, really expensive jewelry goes into a lightsaber.

As far as other methods of crystal appropriation: Jaina does make a crystal somewhere, and I believe her lightsaber IS red, although I'm not certain...

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
2 December 2002, 10:55 PM
Jaina used a portable furnace that she pulled from somewhere. But, I'm pretty sure that Jaina blade is violet.

Trigger
2 December 2002, 11:30 PM
You hit the nail on the head, Frobi. Jaina's saber is violet, and she used the same method Darth Maul used in the short story after Shadow Hunter.

The search for gemstones. its already been said they can be found anywhere. Jacen used a Corusca gem he found while on a trip to Lando's GemDiver station orbiting the gas giant Yavin. Tenel Ka first used volcanic crystals, but made another using Rainbow Gems from the Hapes Cluster. Lowbacca used a simple focusing crystal from a busted piece of equipment laying around the temple. in short, finding a crystal or gem isn't really the hard part. the hard part is finding the color you want, else you end up with a rough and tough Gungan (no laughs) with a pink-bladed lightsaber.

Seghast
3 December 2002, 05:18 AM
Lightsaber crystals can be made in different colors other than red. As mentioned, Jaina made hers, and Luke actually made the crystal in his green saber used at Endor. I believe that was covered in the novelization to Shadows of the Empire.

The only thing I really wonder about, is that since these crystals are all different from the ones the Jedi of the Old Republic used, how much damage do they do? But, even a list couldn't cover the all the type of damage and types of crystals that are available in the galaxy.

Arcome
3 December 2002, 06:57 AM
If you wanted to, you could make the lightsaber not even have a crystal. It could be ionized, which is how Mace Windo explained how his lightsaber was purple. It just used the pure energy source. It's a good idea, if you want to be different from everyone else.

Ardent
3 December 2002, 08:41 AM
Mace has a lot more resources at hand than the typical NJO Jedi. Unless a player was one of the Old Republic legacy Jedi our campaign has, or has access to one of their holocrons, I'd disallow that building method simply because it circumvents half the work in constructing a lightsaber. I'd also make the Craft DC check at least 35.

Our gemstone method has worked reasonably well thus far, and has added another reason to the list of reasons our Jedi have built "Not to Lose Your Lightsaber." All the spare lightsabers sitting in the ship's armory cost at least twice as much as the ship, calculating based on modifications. ;)

My player used dozens of smaller diamonds to focus the beam (I believe the estimated worth was 50k for all of them: collected during escapades on Yavin IV), three Arkanian diamonds (roughly worth 350k each: the remnants of his family's treasury) and a Corusca gem (acquired from Luke Skywalker to facilitate the creation of the lightsaber) to create the shimmering argent blade his off-hand lightsaber is noted for. The lightsaber may have cost an arm and a leg, but let me tell you, for only costing an arm and a leg, it's recovered it's worth dozens of times over. Pun intended.

For those of you keeping track, that lightsaber's focusing assembly is worth about 2 million credits on the open market. Quite a lot more than the 5,000 a furnace-created crystal lightsaber can demand.

NilAdmirari
3 December 2002, 09:55 AM
Yeah this has helped out immensely. I'm going to come up with my own lil way of doing it I think, since I don't want my Jedi just going out and buying one...I'll let you know exactly what I do and how it went after my next session.

But yeah I've learned quite a bit...Mace's saber doesn't even use a crystal? And as for creating nonred crystals I was under the impression that didn't happen...was even under the impression that lightside force users really didn't like to even create thier crystals. But hey...thanks.

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
3 December 2002, 04:28 PM
I let my players find the crystals when they need to. Whether it be from a chandelier or from a turbolaser focusing crystal...there are also the tried-and-true Adegan family of crystals...

There's also the Vors' crystal, that one planet with the big salt crystal that they make buildings out of or carve cities into...

And, as mentioned above...precious jems...yeah!

Nova Spice
3 December 2002, 04:39 PM
My PCs simply chose from a collection of gems and crystals at the Academy on Yavin IV. They then crafted their sabers using the gem of their choice. My Coynite PC meditated for several days without food or water in order to completely meld himself with the Force in harmony. My Kel Dor PC also meditated for a long time in order to become attuned with the Force.

Recently however, after the Battle of Dantooine, the two Jedi PCs mentioned above and a Bothan Jedi NPC were given a trio of Adegan crystals from Lando Calrissian. The group did a few favors for him while on Dubrillion and he "owed them one." :)

I wouldn't be surprised if my PCs crafted new lightsabers with these Adegan crystals. From what I understand, Adegan and Corusca gems are relatively easy to come by if you look in the right places, or know the right people. ;) :D

Krad-edis
6 December 2002, 01:09 AM
Here is a link (http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres15.htm) which you may find very useful for whichever game system that you use. It has costs for gems, and even goes into some other possible gems besides Adegan.

From the Thrawn Trilogy, Leia created a lightsaber with the aid of the tools (Kenobi's lightsaber repair and construction kit) which aided Luke in making his lightsaber (as Seghast pointed out, I do believe that Luke did create a crystal, and still had a green blade). Tools are also covered in the above site.

Moose
6 December 2002, 10:00 PM
Often I have seen it done in groups that the Jedi when near a gem he fills a tug in the force, if the Jedi follows the force well enough he or she is then led to their crystal. This crystal could be somewhere in a natural place like a cave, or underwater, or perhaps even as simple as in a pawn shop or jeweler. One gamemaster did this for me and for me a good part of a session led me into a strange lake on a planet he created. I had to dive to the bottom of the lake and had to use the force to defend myself from several creatures. I found a small cave a glowing gems, azure in color. I was drawn to a particular one and when I made my lightsaber, since he said it was a difficult task and I followed the will of the force he gave me an extra bonus for my lightsaber. I had increased damage on it and I thought that was pretty sweet. I think making your players work for their crystals is a good way to do it. It makes them value their lightsaber more and it gives the process a bit more meaning I feel.

NilAdmirari
7 December 2002, 05:48 PM
Alright I basically went quickly through the lightsaber creation process since our session was about over and I wanted to move onto the next mission for when we reconvene. Basically I had my three pc's given their crystals from their master, Daeshara'Cor just before she left to go learn up on big ol' super weapons.

Saber creation itself worked according to a few rule sets I built. Each player ended up spending at least one, a few spent two, force points in the sabers creation, be it crafting the hilt or embueing the crystal. As is they both regained the points back immediately after finishing the crystal. All in all it worked out well.

A quick side comment however...my players have leveled up 5 times over the span of say 2-3 months. Any thoughts? 2-3 months game time...we've been playing weekly sessions since september.

Ardent
7 December 2002, 07:48 PM
If your players are happy you're doing fine. If they're not, you're doing something wrong. General rule of thumb. ;)

My players like to level up once every session (or two, depending), but we're talking like 4 to twelve hours of play per session, so...if you're doing two hours every week, you'd probably level up twice in the average month.

NilAdmirari
8 December 2002, 11:42 AM
We generally play about 4 hrs once a week. On that note I think I've almost decided to abandon XP altogether and just level up my players when I feel like they should. Anyone else done similar?

Moose
8 December 2002, 07:30 PM
I think that keeping the XP around is good, but a previous GM(for D6) often would give surpise level ups to players to went out of their way to better the game. That could mean making in game efforts to keep the group alive, together, ect.