PDA

View Full Version : OJ forum anyone??? Anyone???

scottyboy
3 December 2002, 03:22 PM
Well, I don't know what happened to it, but I think that an OJ forum is needed around here. And for those of you who don't exactly know what I mean... I'm talking about the Online Journal forum. There used to be one... and now there's not. I don't exactly know <i>WHY</i> the forum was taken down in the first place. I mean, when the OJ was "down for the count," it was up and running! But, now that the OJ is back, no forum? What gives? That makes absolutely no friggin' sense!!! There is one... there isn't one... there is one... there isn't one... To be, or not to be... is that really the question? I know that the OJ went through some changes. But this change just doesn't make sense. I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but the facts just don't add up. The forum was there for a reason. The same reason that any of the other forums are up there. INFORMATION!! I mean if you're going to take down the OJ forum, why not take down the Raptor Squad forum, or the Okina-rdae technologies forum? Frell, that site doesn't even exist anymore but it still has a forum!! The point I'm trying to make is, it was there for us users to talk to the "men in charge", and for them to keep us updated on the "happenings" of the OJ. Taking it down only stands to hurt the community. So I guess what I'm asking is what did it accomplish? Ok, rant mode off.

Nova Spice
3 December 2002, 03:31 PM
Check the SW-RPG.Net Forums below the Star Wars Forums. The first one is the Online Journal forum.

And don't worry about the changing forums; I think the Administrators are just doing a bit of cleaning up and shifting around to make the forums more condensed and less spread out. ;)

I hope that settles your fears scottyboy. :D

reliant
3 December 2002, 04:57 PM
Nova,
I think he was talking about a dedicated Online Journal forum. There used to be one, but then there was none, and now it's part of another forum.

I do agree with most of his rant though, why ditch the OJ forum and leave a bunch of others that hardly see any traffic (or are for sites that don't even exist anymore). I'm not trying to knock any of them, it just seems odd to me to get rid of one (especially so soon after the OJ came back) and leave the others.

I would think that the last thing the Online Journal needs right now is LESS publicity. The more people who know about it, the better...

Grimace
3 December 2002, 05:08 PM
The decision was made that becuase the Online Journal was working pretty much hand in hand with SW-RPG.Net, the two would be combined into one forum. With the fairly low posting count of both forums, it didn't necessarily make sense to have two of them when one would do. It wouldn't do to remove the forum that's specifically for SW-RPG.Net, and it also wouldn't do to remove the forum for the Online Journal. So the two of them have been combined into one.

Granted the name of the forum specifically mentions SW-RPG.Net, but I believe that will be changed in due time.

The Online Journal is *not* being cast back into the shadows, so you don't need to get all riled up about it. I'll make sure Armage changes the heading so that other that don't know about the switching around won't be misled.

Also be aware that other forums are going to be moving, and some may be disappearing. Which ones, I'm not entirely sure, but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask one of the staff for clarification.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
3 December 2002, 05:25 PM
The title has been changed to StarWars-RPG.Net and Online Journal.

evan hansen
3 December 2002, 06:49 PM
Hey gang --

As Frobi pointed out, the name has changed -- as has the description. Armage did this to keep the visability high. I should note, however, that even with the Journal forum, visibility was still low. Generally, we had to post meaningful things in the General SW-RPG forum to get people over to the Journal forum to begin with. Since the Journal is part of starwars-rpg.net, I thought Armage's request to consolidate the forums sounded reasonable -- and people can still talk about the Journal there. It trims the holonet list a bit and makes the list easier to navigate on the whole.

With the response the last Journal got, I'm not worried that we'll be taking any sort of major hit. :)

I hope this settles some of the unrest. No worries, gang. Take care!

Matt Richard
3 December 2002, 10:26 PM
The changes are fine except for a few minor points of oddities.

Why combine all those forums from SWRPGNetwork? They receive a fair amount of trafic, especially the holonet ones. And wasnt Tony J. Case a converter too? Also, Roleplaying should be moved to the SWRPG Forums section, as it is SWRPG. It will take me a while to get used to the combination of the Journal and starwars-rpg.net, but ill live. And, the information on some of the moderators seems...off. For instance - shouldnt the editor of the Journal also be a moderator for the new hybrid? Also, in case no one has noticed, I have two other guys working as co-webmasters - im not even in charge anymore of dlos. And as previously stated, the Okina site doesnt exist anymore.

But other than that - looks fine.

BRodgers
4 December 2002, 08:52 AM
hey hey HEY!

Lets not knock the Raptor Squad forum there kids..heh..I mean, given the SAD shape of the SWRPG website community these days, my site is one of the few that still strives to stay updated regularly and provide a wealth of entertainment for those gamers who want something other than bland lifeless stats on a page (Wooo! ANOTHER blaster that does 5d damage! WOW!).

But, since I am also Art Director for the OJ I won't take too much offense, as I know where you all are coming from .

The problem? The OJ forums has been combined.

The solution?

Well, imho the resolution falls into the lap of the community !

Thats right! If the community enjoys the OJ then they need to leave feedback and opinions and thoughts.

Eventually, if the Starwars-rpg.net comments forum is dominated by posts involving the OJ, then we can all raise a voice in the interest oif giving the OJ it's forum back.

So..guess the community will make the ultimate decision...huh?

Oh, and while you are waiting for the next issue of the OJ, swing on over to

WWW.Raptorsquad.Net

and uh.....

nevermind.

;)

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
4 December 2002, 09:06 AM
Well spoken Baron Administrator, but on the topic of the Okina-Rdae Technologies Forum - while the website is no longer online, the CGen family of programs is still used by large number of gamers. And most people's questions about the CGen (probably a lot on the DBM about added PrCs and the like) can easily be answered in that forum by either searching it or posing a new question.

Okina-Rdae wouldn't be the first thing that still gets support after it 'went away.'

scottyboy
4 December 2002, 09:47 AM
Very good points Frobi and Bob. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that they <i>should</i> take those forums down. Because I know, they do get a bit of traffic. I was just using it as an example. And I'm sorry, but it still doesn't make sense to me. I could understand it, if the OJ had been back for a couple months and the forum wasn't getting any traffic. I could understand it then. But the OJ has been back for what, maybe a week now. The forum hasn't even had a chance to get any traffic yet, and they're already taking it down. Or "cleaning house" I should say. Doesn't make much sense to me. I could also understand it if that forum was created AFTER the OJ had come back and they decided they wanted to do it a different way. But that's not the case either. Just doesn't add up, unless there's something that the community isn't aware of. Which is what it seems like, IMHO. Oh well, nothing us community members can say about it anyways. The puzzle pieces just don't fit together. If you guys want the OJ to be as successful as you made it before, what purpose does it serve to take that forum away?

Moridin
4 December 2002, 10:13 AM
OK, couple of things...

There are always some bugs when we make changes...Jan Tolbara temporarily lost moderatorship, and so on. We just have to iron out the kinks. So be patient when there are problems, and let us know politely.

As for the SW-RPG.Net and OJ combination, we're just trying to streamline things a little bit. Those forums don't get a whole lot of traffic, not in comparison to the RPG forums or C&M or anything. It's not like there's no longer any place to put comments. It's just an organizational thing -- everyone chill out. We combined the SWRPGNetwork forums for the same reason. No need to take offense or anything, no one is stifling opinions or comments here. No one is taking anything down, just combining some forums. We have to do this from time to time as we grow and change.

And we're making some staff changes here, so bear with us until we get things straightened out. Honestly, the hostility over little organizational changes surprises me greatly. It's just not that big a deal guys, really. Everyone calm down. Armage makes these decisions after consulting the Moderators and myself, and it's just to clean up some of the clutter.

So, in summary:

1) No one is trying to stifle anyone's opinions, or keep anyone from discussing things.
2) Changes are being made currently, so things will continue to change over the next few days.
3) Restructuring happens from time to time, this is nothing out of the ordinary, so calm down and go with it.

Yes! To Obi Wan, you listen!

BRodgers
4 December 2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by scottyboy
The puzzle pieces just don't fit together. If you guys want the OJ to be as successful as you made it before, what purpose does it serve to take that forum away?

Hey, I'm right there with you Scott , I even e-mailed Armage with the exact same concerns. If the forums were costing more money to keep open, then I understand that. However, the OJ, even though it is technically "part" of starwars-rpg.net, is almost a seperate entitiy really. It has a seperate staff than Starwars-RPG.net and pretty much operates autonomously of .Net, little different than the hosted sites I would say.

Well, the decision was made. Bottom line is pretty much that when it's someone else's sandbox, they make the rules.

I'm not too concerned however. I've seen what we have in store for issue #2 and it's PHENOMENAL!

Trust me, it's not going to be something that is easily overlooked or missed by the community, it is, in fact, just another step towards the revitilization of the SWRPG online community.

:D

Armage Bedar
5 December 2002, 03:33 AM
Hey guys -- Moridin covered pretty much what I wanted to say regarding these changes. I am always concerned about "forum bloat" -- too many forums that aren't getting very many posts. Regardless of the popularity of the Online Journal forum, both it and the Starwars-rpg.net forum were not getting that many posts in a given period when compared with other forums (for hosted sites or otherwise). I felt it would make sense to combine two forums for what are essentially the same thing. The Online Journal not only has the same look and feel as the rest of the main Starwars-rpg.net site, but I think people *should* associate the Online Journal with Starwars-rpg.net. This makes it more obvious and saves on extra forums to boot.

I'm not just picking on the Online Journal, either. I closed the Kurlnova Sector and Yaeger Sector forums for that very reason (inactivity), and I reorganized the SWRPGNetwork forums even though we do receive a lot of posts there. The reasons for that change, moreso than the Online Journal switch, was to cut down on misposts and crossposts to incorrect forums. The number of posts that were in SWRPGNetwork when they should have been in HoloNet Comments was appalling and annoying. Also, the time it takes for us to check each individual forum can sometimes be a pain, especially for those of us without broadband. A consolidation makes sense for those who have to read every single post that is made in those forums.

I realized that the presence of a separate "Online Journal Forum" was important to many people -- but it still exists. More than any other part of Starwars-rpg.net, the Online Journal receives the most questions, comments, concerns, and praise. So it will still dominate the current combined forum, I believe. Exposure is not a concern -- the name is still up there in bold text, and you've also got a link to the OJ right there in the description. Nothing has really changed. Heck, if I had moved the Starwars-rpg.net Comments forum and combined *it* with the OJ one, there would probably have been less furor (even though it would have been exactly the same process).

I'm seeing a bit of nationalism in regards to forums, I think. People are more attached to the name than the actual content. <b>You can still post stuff about the Online Journal, and people will see it.</b> Simply because you're posting in a forum that says "Starwars-rpg.net and Online Journal" rather than just "Online Journal" means absolutely nothing, really.

My goal is not to annoy people with the periodic changes I make at the HoloNet. In the end, I want to make sure people are having a good experience using and interacting with other people here. Consolidations, deletions, and additions are part of the flow.

Moridin
5 December 2002, 08:28 AM
Ah! Yes, bandwith was the one thing I left out. While I personally am on broadband, we've always tried to keep our design such that low-bandwith users can access the site easier. Hitting one forum on dialup can be a lot faster than hitting 3.

Reverend Strone
5 December 2002, 09:39 AM
A dedicated OJ Forum? Seriously, how many people here would have that much to say about Orange Juice. You guys are being silly. :D

-sorry guys, couldn't resist.