PDA

View Full Version : YOUR VOICE: New hosted sites

evan hansen
4 December 2002, 03:47 PM
Fellow community members --

As some of you will remember from months back, it was one of Nealos' hopes to get some new hosted sites up on starwars-rpg.net. While I've bounced this idea around now, the time seems right to begin the process of getting some new sites into the starwars-rpg.net family.

As I've explained to some folks associated with the site already, I'd like to not overlap too much with any Journal release dates. So we're starting now so that we can try to time the release of the new sites between the next two issues of the journal.

Why will it take so long?

Because I want YOU, the community, to help me pick them.

So here are the steps you'll need to follow:

1) Please email me (webmaster@starwars-rpg.net) or PM me with your nomination for a hosted site. This can be yours, or it can be someone else's. Or both. I'll allow two nominations per person.

2) I'll select ten of these nominated sites based on starwars-rpg.net criteria (including whether or not the given webmaster *wants* to be part of starwars-rpg.net) and post them here in this forum in a poll.

3) For a few weeks following the close of nominations, you'll be able to vote for your favorite site!

Nominations begin now and end on Christmas, December 25th

That gives everyone plenty of time to do some browsing around if they need or to begin giving his or her own site a little last-minute spit polish. :D We're also keeping it open for so long to give random visitors to starwars-rpg.net a chance to weigh in as well.

Thanks for your participation!!!

Armage Bedar
5 December 2002, 03:42 AM
Are you planning to select only one site, or a certain number that are voted the highest?

evan hansen
5 December 2002, 04:35 AM
A fine question -- and it's something that hasn't been 100% decided yet. The current hope is to select two though I'd say the number could be higher by one or two.

Matt Richard
5 December 2002, 04:08 PM
This sounds like a cool idea - ill be scouting around.

Nova Spice
5 December 2002, 07:13 PM
This sounds like a cool idea - ill be scouting around.

Yeah, that wouldn't be a bad idea. I've already sent a nomination to evan for a site that has long been deserving more recognition. :D B)
I'm sure there are plenty more out there too.

Moose
5 December 2002, 07:40 PM
I would like to contribute to this process, but am not familiar with all that many Star Wars sites(The Network has always sated my star wars needs) and I was wondering if anyone might want to direct me to a few sites so I might be able to cast a vote. I am searching on the net for some, but most I come across are little more than rubbish.

ij thompson
5 December 2002, 09:50 PM
Between this site (http://starwars-rpg.net/linkarchive/) and this site (http://starwars-rpg.net/reviewedsites/), you should be able to find everything you need!

Deano
6 December 2002, 12:02 AM
Just wondering if the Reviewed Sites site should take a role in this process?? I believe that this was discussed in the past....

In addition to our own opinions on various sites, the sites can also be voted for by everyone to give an overall score. Of course, it means we only net the sites that we've reviewed.

Deano

evan hansen
6 December 2002, 05:02 AM
*nods* That's part of why we're doing this in this way -- so that any site, no matter where it is or who found it -- can get into the mix. The details of the voting also haven't been decided yet either, though I've talked with Tim and Chris about it.

For now, I just want as many nominations as possible before our deadline! :)

evan hansen
9 December 2002, 06:00 AM
A question was posted in the General SW-RPG forum, and I'll answer it here.

The question was about the benefits to webmasters and site users of being hosted on starwars-rpg.net

For webmasters:
-- More or less unlimited server space
-- Increased visibility (starwars-rpg.net gets a lot of hits)
-- Assuming there's a need for it, and assuming it doesn't go against the goals of swrpgnetwork at the time, a forum here on the holonet to discuss the site.
-- An easy to remember site address for users: starwars-rpg.net/sitename
-- An email address sitename@starwars-rpg.net

For users:
-- More hosted sites means starwars-rpg.net becomes a bigger resource
-- It can, if we're lucky, get those "hidden gems" out there for everyone to see a bit more
-- The more hosted sites with more diverse information means less searching around and more centralized info in one place
-- No advertisements or pop-ups. :D

I'm sure there are other advantages, but those have been the ones that I've always seen as the biggies right off the top of my head.

Hope that helps.

Rigil Kent
9 December 2002, 07:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, how is the submissions going? Is there any way I can lend a hand?

evan hansen
9 December 2002, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the offer, Rigil. But things are actually going pretty smoothly. We already have a few more than I would have expected at this point, and there are still two weeks to go.

But keep them coming, folks! We can never have too many!

evan hansen
20 December 2002, 01:17 PM
Just a reminder, folks. Less than a week to submit those nominations left. We've got a good crop right now, but we can always use more!