PDA

View Full Version : Common vs. Come on

ironwolf56
6 December 2002, 11:42 AM
Common is a word that refers to an object/idea/whatever as being very prevalent. Come on is a phrase that among other meanings can show frustration at someone/something. Please people, learn the difference... I've known since I was probably 5.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
6 December 2002, 11:52 AM
English isn't the first language for a number of the members here on the HoloNet, cut'em a little slack.

Ravager_of_worlds
6 December 2002, 02:01 PM
true, and a number of internet users no longer bother to write in english either. they use "nettese"

your- is now ur
late- is now l8
etc. etc. etc.

since English is one of my majors, i cringe when i see 'nettese' but i also realize this is my 'prescriptive grammar' at work. instead, maybe if we all could use 'descriptive grammar' we'd be a bit more tolerable.

still- i hate asking what the new 'nettese' really means.

Talon Razor 'GM'
6 December 2002, 03:43 PM
I *hate* d00dsp3ak. It is vastly annoying. I always try to use a spellchecker at least so I know that I am not sounding like a moron. English is too beautiful of a language to butcher.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
6 December 2002, 04:29 PM
Did I miss something?

ironwolf56
6 December 2002, 04:51 PM
Hey somebody gave me a 1 for this topic, sorry but isn't this the Rant and Raves board? I mean I didn't single anyone out I'm just making a statement over my frustration with the inability to read/understand posts the first time because people are using l33t speak or whatever it's called.

Ardent
7 December 2002, 06:31 AM
You know, it's usually pretty easy to tell if someone means "common" as in the adjective or "common" as in the current alternative to the space bar for "come on" My friends usually just type 'cmn' or 'cmon' or 'comn' and I still catch the point.

The only thing good grammar, spelling, punctuation and capitalization get you is a more captive audience. The better you type, the better the response to what you type will be. ;)

Grimace
7 December 2002, 08:47 AM
Alfred, this thread is in relation to what someone posted in another forum. There was a mistype, intentional or not, that was the catalyst.

Ironwolf, this *is* the Rants and Raves forum, and you are entitled to rant, but you must also be aware that some people may take offense at what you are complaining about. I must also point out that making a stink about how you got rated usually doesn't accomplish much in the minds of others. It is usually best to accept that someone didn't care for what you posted, or the "tone" you used (in that you didn't consider the wide range of age groups and ethnic/cultural diversity on this site) and make an effort to correct such things, or accept the rating and move on.

I've seen the thread that you are complaining about, and while I have noticed that there are people on this site that probably need to spend a little more time putting together their posts so that there aren't as many misspellings, I don't think it was entirely necessary to post a rant about this one particular instance. While you mentioned no names, singling out this one word use *did* seem to give the implication you were singling out one person. Perhaps that is why you were rated low.

In the past, if I have noticed a particular person constantly misspelling or constantly using shorthand, I usually try to send them a polite Private Message to ask them if they realize what kind of hassle those posts are creating for those of us who don't "speak" shorthand. Most times the people didn't realize that they were doing it, weren't aware of the misspelling, or simply decided that they'd continue to use the butchered word. There have been a couple that apologized because English was either their second or third language. I don't know about you, but I doubt I could compose any sensible post in either of the two languages I know a smattering of. So I always cut those people a LOT of extra slack, as they are at least making the effort to post in the language the most of us on this board speak and understand.

Hopefully this clears up any sort of question as to why there might be low ratings occuring from any of these Rants threads. I also hope that people will try to make that little extra effort, in the future, to make sure it wasn't just an honest mistake, or a non-English speaker struggling with their third language, before they go a berate another for posting something.

Carry on.