PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Robes...Quixotic at best

Moose
6 December 2002, 09:43 PM
Ok here is my Rant. In several places I have read that the Jedi wear their large and heavy looking robes and other garb for freedom of movement. This does not add up. If I wanted freedom of movement I would not be wearing a large robe. Now in most of the movies the second a Jedi has to go into action they more often than not cast away their robe. It seems that with throwing these big brown robes around the Jedi are not being very respectful of the money given to them for their expense(prior to the Empire obviously) and later on of their own money. The outfits they have under the robes I don’t really like, but that’s just me, at least they are functional. It would seem logical to me that when a Jedi is a on a mission or is expecting trouble to dress a bit more practically. For instance in EP II, Mace Windu I am sure had a pretty good idea that he was going to have to do some fighting that day…why not leave the robe at home for walking around the temple in. I know its not a big deal and that the Jedi Robes have been the traditional garb of the Jedi, but I have always thought of the Jedi as practical people and these robes simply are not practical. I think for ceremonies or other duties they are fine, but for the most part I think they would hinder a Jedi. I think that maybe a cape or lighter and shorter cloak might do better if they wish to preserve some of the Jedi tradition.

Ok rant over, that was just something that was nagging me for some reason, I know its kind of a foolish post, but I just had to vent.

Ardent
6 December 2002, 10:51 PM
The robes and/or cloaks seem to be a purely cinematic move, Moose. I'll tell you what, I would cast my cloak aside in a fight too...at least with lightsabers. In a swordfight it might come in handy for concealment and deflection. ;)

To be blunt, my Jedi has eschewed the robes, except for formal affairs and wears a functional combat gi that somewhat resembles what Obi-Wan wears in Ep. II. Most of the Jedi in the group follow a similar vein of thought. Heck, the Ewok generally wears only a hide jerkin and a hood.

Moose
6 December 2002, 11:09 PM
My ideal Jedi outfit, for a near human or human, would be more along the lines of something that Lando might wear, but not quite as flashy. I think your standard Star Wars knee high boots, a pair of pants similar to Han’s(bloodstripes optional), a shirt and maybe a jacket like the dark blue one Han had, and then maybe a cape or light cloak. Save the robe for the award ceremony and for walking around a chilly home. In the post ROTJ I would probably not even bother with the cape, but again its all preference.

Ardent is your whole group Jedi? And its nice to see that you and a few of your players have similar sentiments to mine.

dgswensen
6 December 2002, 11:49 PM
It probably is a lot more handy when the Jedi needs to be able to pass as an everyday citizen. I imagine a brown robe is not too unique in the Star Wars universe. A Jedi can hide his traditional garb and his lightsaber under a plain brown robe, for those times when they would rather not be immediately identified as Jedi.

Plus, more garments = more pockets to carry stuff in. Could be handy. That, and I imagine a Jedi tried to come prepared for cold weather, high winds, or rain -- a hooded robe could be very useful in all those situations.

So it's not totally useless. For scenes like that on Geonosis, yeah, it's probably gratuitous.

Ardent
7 December 2002, 06:28 AM
Our entire group is not Jedi. We have a mix between over-experienced non-Jedi and over-experienced Jedi and Padawan learners. We have four Jedi: two Masters, one Knight and one Padawan (PC). There's a Padawan NPC for the Ewok. We have two NRI Free Agents (one human, one Mon Cal) and we had a SpecForce Pathfinder last time we played, but I'm not sure he'll be around for the wrap-up sessions.

darkvet
7 December 2002, 08:14 AM
I have often questioned the capes and robes of heroes, I mean how heroic is it to get tangled up in your robe as you acrobatically dodge those incoming blaster bolts :p .
My group just assumes that the robes are somewhat in style in the starwars universe, and as dgswensen said it helps them blend in. Personally I liked Anakin's outfit from Ep 2

Ravager_of_worlds
7 December 2002, 08:33 AM
well, most heroes have a large opinion of themselves, and of course a cape/robe is fahionable to crime fighters, ne'er do wells and other sporty people. personally, i like the way a cloak feels on me and i'd wear one every day if i could. they're great for concealing backpacks, lightsabers, etc. Plus, a lot of people in star wars use cloaks. perhaps cloaks are just really really fashionable and most people wear them. the jedi were thought of once as monks/investigators of the force as well. maybe the robe is just a remembrance of their time before being Jedi Knights... when they were simple scholars and investigators in their own force religion/investigation.

but yeah, there's something quixotic about the robes. it serves the same point of arthurian knights always in armor. the jedi wear the robes for cinemetic effect and perhaps, a remembrance of their order's past.

Talonne Hauk
7 December 2002, 01:53 PM
I remember reading an interview by Sam Hamm, the screenwriter for the first Batman movie. He had originally written a subway chase scene in which Batman's cape had gotten wrapped up in the subway cars wheels somehow, and Batman was dragged for a considerable distance before he freed himself. He wanted to point out how idiotic a large cape would be for a crimefighter. Needless to say, this was considered a little too bloody for even Tim Burton's tastes, and the scene was dropped from the movie. The point is that sometimes costumes are needed for identity purposes, and are kept in a movie regardless of the practicality otherwise. besides, I can recall several times when I've gone out to chase skirts in something that I later found idiotic. Nobody is a fashion plate 24/7.:p

Moose
7 December 2002, 06:09 PM
Haha that is all too true Talonne Hauk. I agree also that for the movie its good that they kept the robes and such. I have always been a fan of Batman and his cape sizes have varied over the years, some were more functional looking than others. I tend to like capes more than the Robe though, when I think of robes It reminds me of my grandfather going to the jon in the winter(sorry for the crude analogy:D)

Dr_Worm
8 December 2002, 09:54 PM
This may seem like a stretch but as a student of evolution I see this link. In nature one way to avoid a fight is to look bigger than you are. This is the reason behind expansion of a blowfish and the neck flares of a Cobra. So my reasoning is that my appearing bigger, or more impressive, a Jedi might be able to avoid a fight.

Nemo Sage
9 December 2002, 01:17 AM
Hey,

In I, Jedi, there's a mension that Corran Horn's grandfather only wore the Jedi robes when it was important to do so, He refers to them as his working clothes. Criminals would see the robes, and surrender cause it was a jedi, otherwise, he would ware normal clothes, 'specially when undercover or what not.
Frankly, my take on the robes is akin to the martial art uniforms. Take Caine from Kung Fu, in the flashbacks at the shaolin temple, he's in full shaolin uniform, but in the present, while wandering the west, he's dressed like a normal person. I would assume that the jedi would do something similar.

~nemo

Ris
9 December 2002, 06:47 AM
One of my Jedi pc's usually wears what amounts to "heavy-duty" gauzes & silks to distract & cover her movements.

In the game I run it varies. the PC padawan, an aspiring investigator, usually wears street clothes--with lots of pockets to conceal things (like the 'saber). He only wears the traditional robes on important occasions--defined by him as "anytime Master Z"Rissa says, 'Wear your robes!'"
Master Z prefers the traditional robes, but in a diferent color scheme. (And she also has at least one--of all things--Alderaanian formal gown, suitable for royalty. The npc Healer in this game usually dresses in what I sometimes call "bardic-looking robes" in green & brown.

But I think the "image" is very important factor in the robes.
One time, my group was asked by a transport captain, to help him convince 2 other passenger groups to put aside their rivalry for the trip--in essence a very minor negotiation. Master Z told her padawan to decide how to handle it as a learning experience. Part of his plan involved the 3 Jedi dressing up like stock Jedi roles from history-adventure holofilms to underscore what the consequences of not cooperating would be. It was pretty effective

Ardent
9 December 2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Ris
In the game I run it varies. the PC padawan, an aspiring investigator, usually wears street clothes--with lots of pockets to conceal things (like the 'saber). He only wears the traditional robes on important occasions--defined by him as "anytime Master Z"Rissa says, 'Wear your robes!'"
Master Z prefers the traditional robes, but in a diferent color scheme. (And she also has at least one--of all things--Alderaanian formal gown, suitable for royalty. The npc Healer in this game usually dresses in what I sometimes call "bardic-looking robes" in green & brown.

But I think the "image" is very important factor in the robes.
One time, my group was asked by a transport captain, to help him convince 2 other passenger groups to put aside their rivalry for the trip--in essence a very minor negotiation. Master Z told her padawan to decide how to handle it as a learning experience. Part of his plan involved the 3 Jedi dressing up like stock Jedi roles from history-adventure holofilms to underscore what the consequences of not cooperating would be. It was pretty effective

Well, I should be fair and say that while Dayen does doff the robes for most occasions, he makes fair use of the cloak (it is, after all, waterproof and warm). During his tenure at the Imperial Court he would often, to amuse the courtiers, wear his full ensemble out (sans lightsaber) and go around accosting other nobles jokingly. He's also a surviving member of the Alderaanian Noble houses, and a Noble Guardsman (by virtue of being the eldest surviving son of his house), so he has a dress uniform for the rare occasions he's called on to fill that role.

It seems to me that most Jedi approach robes in the same way: the cloak is a utilitarian garment, while the robes themselves are relatively useless outside of formal environments. Most of the Jedi during the Old Republic favor combat gis (admittedly, most of the Jedi we see in the field are Guardians and not Consulars), while a lot of the NJO era Jedi wear street clothes or costume appropriate to their homeworld and "station."

I think the defining article for a Jedi has always been and will always be his lightsaber. The cloak serves to conceal it's presence, which is another important feature of it's voluminuity...the robes simply seem to be the Jedi equivalent of a dress uniform. I have to admit...it's a lot better than the NR dress uniform...talk about ugh. ;)

mojo1701
11 January 2003, 10:59 AM
Hasn't anyone considered that they may be wearing all-temperature cloaks, or that a Jedi only uses his lightsaber as a last defense, rather focus on diplomacy and the force.

Wade Trenor
11 January 2003, 02:07 PM
I would say that it's a measure of disguise.

For instance, the Jedi wearing robes appear to be philosophers, etc. However, the Jedi are powerful warriors also.

The robes are deceptive, because they aren't flash (ie the Jedi aren't asking for trouble, like a soldier wearing armour does), and they give the Jedi an advantage in a fight (because opponents don't expect monks to be able to kick their a$$).

Levistus
14 January 2003, 03:06 PM
I always thought the Jedi robes were really cool.... but i suppose they would get in the way.... oh well, just goes to prove a little sidebar found in the RCRB- This game isnt Science Fiction- its a fantasy. Dont worry too much about realism.

Before you worry about the Jedi's robes, worry about their lightsabres. They swing them around as if they were heavy swords, yet they have no counterwieght or blade weight, which means you could swing and move it to your will, and it would be impossible to 'duel' with lightsabres for this reason...... just another point to ponder.

Silent
28 January 2003, 12:44 PM
Yeah, the whole "weightless blade thing has come up, and I think that consesus is that it would be rather difficult to actually use such a weapon. Of course, Jedi aren't exactly normal and so we figure that they can control the blade through the Force's guidance...there's a reason why we never see non-Jedi using lightabres!

As for the robes, I think that if I were getting into a fight I'd go with a nice pair of trackpants, some sneakers, and a loosely fitting sweater. Of course, the Jedi have to uphold the dignity of their Order, and it is very useful to be able to command some instant respect through you clothing, so I figure that they usually wear them...

Codym
28 January 2003, 12:57 PM
Offically, the robes are used to allow Jedi to blend in on any (most) planets in the Republic. And for interfering with their combat ability, watch the movies. Neither Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin or even Maul seemed to be slowed down while wearing them. And besides, they look cool.

mojo1701
28 January 2003, 02:11 PM
I'm sure I said this before, but remember, that a Jedi rarely resorts to combat.

Focusing on words and diplomacy...

God, I hate being redundant.