PDA

View Full Version : age difference present in Ep. 1, but not 2?

mojo1701
7 December 2002, 03:55 PM
I'm sure probably a lot of you have wondered why, but don't know.

Don't you wonder how is it that Anakin and Padmé had about a 6 year difference between them in Episode 1, but in Episode 2, they were (more or less) the same age?

It just doesn't make sense. I'm confused by this:?

Your thoughts?

ironwolf56
7 December 2002, 04:05 PM
Well I thought the age difference was 4 years myself. Anakin being like 9 in Ep1 and Padme being 13. By Episode 2, Anakin is 19 or 20 and Padme 23; not much of a noticeable age difference between the 2 (physical-wise).

Corr Terek
7 December 2002, 04:06 PM
Actually, Padmé and Anakin are only four years apart -- Anakin is 9-10, and Padmé is 14 or so. This translates into Anakin being 20 in Ep 2, and Padmé being 24. That's not really much of an age difference at that age.

mojo1701
7 December 2002, 04:10 PM
Probably, but you'd think that they'd make it a little more plausible about her being the queen (I know it's just an elected title, like president) of an entire planetary government at just 13 or 14 (you said it ironwolf56 and Corr Terek, not me)

I think that someone like that should be something like 15 or 16.

But Lucas probably used the idea that in Star Wars, people start at an earlier age (esp. Jedi Padawans)

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
7 December 2002, 04:15 PM
It sorta requires a suspension of disbelief, since the actors are the same age and the characters are supposed to have a 10 year gap. Kinda dumb when you think about, but I never really noticed it in the movie.

Nafai
7 December 2002, 04:15 PM
mojo1701, there are many lands on our own planet that elected, and monarchal rulers start out at that age or even younger.

The occurance of that is even more common in earlier history, with Egypt, Israel, and other countries taking kings as early as 8 years old or younger.

Naboo is a very peaceful planet, and very interested in politics, with politics being extremely integrated into children's educations.

So it all fits! ;)

mojo1701
7 December 2002, 04:20 PM
Yeah, you guys are right. But I was getting off-topic about that. It's that whole age difference thing that I was talking about in the first place.

Sorry about getting off track.

Nafai
7 December 2002, 04:29 PM
Well, that's the basic point of it. A male who has not gone through puberty but is the same age a female who *has* started...let's say 7th-8th grade age, don't look the same age at all. So if you extend that to 4-5 years...

Take a Sophomore girl in High School and compare her to a sixth grade boy. They're going to look like there's a HUGE age disparity. However, his second year into college, let's say that she was still in college working on her masters. You could see them together and never even know that they weren't the same age. She might even perhaps look younger. The visual disparities of age simply decrease as time goes on.

mojo1701
7 December 2002, 04:30 PM
Well, that's the basic point of it. A male who has not gone through puberty but is the same age a female who *has* started...let's say 7th-8th grade age, don't look the same age at all. So if you extend that to 4-5 years...

Also another good, solid, valid point!

Jericho_Narcas
7 December 2002, 06:19 PM
Padme is only about five years older than Anakin. She was 14 in TPM, while he was nine. In AOTC she's about 24, and he's around 19.

Rogue Janson
8 December 2002, 04:12 AM
Although the age difference isn't really visible in AotC, Lucas has tried to bring it out at various points in the dialogue and the characterisation - most obviously the discussion about anakin being grown-up.

fritzer
10 December 2002, 07:37 AM
the only reason why they look like thet're the same age is because Natalie Portman is still playing Padme. It wouldn't be logical to get another actor just to make her look older. Like Rogue Janson said before me Lucas tried to bring out their age difference in their personalities.

Talon Razor 'GM'
10 December 2002, 09:31 AM
Ankanin was 19-20 in Ep 2?!?!?! I thought he was three or four....

Poof's Padawan
12 December 2002, 04:36 PM
Okay first of all, In Ep1 Anakin is 8 in Ep2 he is 18
Ep1 Padme is 14 in Ep2 she is 24

mojo1701
12 December 2002, 04:38 PM
Maybe the age difference was what drove him to the Dark Side?

Poof's Padawan
12 December 2002, 05:41 PM
How would that work? The age thing didn't stop them from getting hitched.8o

mojo1701
13 December 2002, 07:40 AM
How would that work? The age thing didn't stop them from getting hitched.

What would work? The age thing turning them to the dark side?

Lehesu
13 December 2002, 08:45 AM
May be Anakin grew up fast.