PDA

View Full Version : Money Converting

Danan Valos
9 December 2002, 03:59 PM
I tried searching everywhere for this, but how would you convert money in the Star Wars RPG? I found many interesting objects and equipment in other roleplaying games including Spycraft that I would like to use in Star Wars. But the problem I am coming across is that all the items are listed in dollars. I need to know how to convert the dollars into credits. Would somebody please help me out?

Ardent
9 December 2002, 04:13 PM
Maybe I'm way off base here, but all the prices in credits seem to be on a roughly 1:1 ratio with what you'd expect something might cost in dollars. Maybe 1:1.5 dollars:credits, possibly 1:2...but that's stretching it.

ElfWord
9 December 2002, 04:33 PM
Find several items that are basically the same in both systems, and compare the price. That's what I do and I usually only have to make small modifications.

Poof's Padawan
10 December 2002, 05:21 PM
All I have determined is that the credits are worth at least 2 times the dollar, hope that helps.

Jedi_Staailis
10 December 2002, 07:54 PM
I don't think you can define an accurate conversion. The supply and demand is different in Star Wars, and certain types of products are more or less valuable. For inexpensive, commonplace items, the dollar and the credit seem to be roughly equal. But when you look at other types of items, problems arise. For example, a blaster rifle costs 1000 credits. Modern firearms cost between $500 and $1000 (see this page (http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Orion/6278/t2kusequip.html)). An X-Wing fighter costs 150,000 credits. An F-15 fighter costs approximately $40 million, and an F-22 $180 million (according to this page (http://www.clw.org/milspend/f22bad.html). Disclaimer: the opinions on this particular webpage do not necessarily reflect my own. Just to avoid potential confusion. :) ). The prices aren't even close to 1 to 1, not even within two orders of magnitude.

So, I guess it all comes down to just using your judgement. If your players would buy the product without question, it's too cheap. If they wouldn't touch it, it's too expensive.

Ardent
10 December 2002, 09:31 PM
You're equating starfighters to the wrong thing, IMHO.

Starships are more or less serving the same function in Star Wars as ground vehicles do for us.

Compare transports to trucks, starfighters to sports cars...

Capital ships only really compare to the Naval aircraft carriers, and then only with a stretch of the imagination (but why would you let your Spycraft characters buy an aircraft carrier anyway?!)

Jedi_Staailis
11 December 2002, 04:54 AM
Starships are more or less serving the same function in Star Wars as ground vehicles do for us.
I disagree. Most of the general population in developed areas of the galaxy does not have a starship of some sort. Most will have a landspeeder instead.

Quoting page 204 of the RCRB: "A starship is probably the most expensive possession a character will ever own. Actually, many characters don't own the ships the pilot."

And quoting page 115 of the 2nd Edition R&E: "New ships tend to be beyond the reach of the average person, and even used ships are expensive. [...] Military-quality vessels -- such as starfighters and capital combat ships -- are expensive at the best of times."

I would imagine that it is much like today. A few individuals own small personal aircraft, but the vast majority only own automobiles. In Star Wars, a few private citizens own beat up freighters, but the vast majority only have landspeeders.

Jastor
11 December 2002, 06:33 AM
i would say 1 SIC (Standard Imperial Credit) ~= 5 - 50 $USD (why? because a "normal" month wage in Star Wars (what ive heard anyway) is 500 credits)

besides, your compairson between realworld aircraft and starfighters .. the starfighters are massproduced in a way that is not possible here on earth, hence the price would be cheaper too.

Ardent
11 December 2002, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis
Quoting page 204 of the RCRB: "A starship is probably the most expensive possession a character will ever own. Actually, many characters don't own the ships the pilot."

And quoting page 115 of the 2nd Edition R&E: "New ships tend to be beyond the reach of the average person, and even used ships are expensive. [...] Military-quality vessels -- such as starfighters and capital combat ships -- are expensive at the best of times."

You're mistaking scope here. Even in America a lot of people can't really afford to own a vehicle, let alone in the rest of the world. Most of the people I know and who work with/for me can't afford to buy a new car. Heck, I'm not sure I can and I'm a lot better off than most of the residents of African and even Asian nations.

The other thing to keep in mind is Star Wars, as presented to us, lacks "payment plans"...this puts starships out of the reach of even more people.

Maybe you'd like the comparison to be with personal watercraft...however, the idea remains the same.