PDA

View Full Version : A Silly Question?

XanderPaddox
9 December 2002, 05:35 PM
Hey, I was just wondering something that has been on my mind for awhile. It might seem like a stupid question to some, but I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about all there is to know regarding Star Wars.

When it comes to the Force, and the whole Light Side and Dark Side, when someone is born with the Force, are they naturally born to the Light Side, and then turned to the Dark Side, or can someone be born to the Dark Side?

I know it might seem like a silly question, but nevertheless, I was just wondering.

Nova Spice
9 December 2002, 06:34 PM
I've never heard of someone being born inherently evil or to the dark side. If an infant possesses Force potential, that's all it is, Force potential. They are neither dark or light IMO. It really depends on a couple of factors:

-Which group discovers the infant's Force sensitivity (i.e. the Jedi, Sith, etc.).

-What situations or events occur during the child's life (i.e. death of a close relative, traumatic event, positive experience, etc.).

These two scenarios more often than not affect how the Force-user will grow and what they will use the Force as. Naturally the Light Side is all about preserving life and protecting it. The Dark Side is about destroying life in order to gain power quickly and easily.

I don't think its possible for an infant to be a Dark Force user at birth, in fact, I know it isn't possible. The child is too young to "determine his/her own path."

I hope that helps a bit. ;)

BRodgers
10 December 2002, 05:03 AM
Hmmmmmm]

But what about this?
If you buy into the whole "playing classical music during pregnancy can influence your childs intelligence" theory and all of that stuff we hear about these days...

What about the possibility of a dark side user getting to a child's mother while she was pregnant, and attempting to "taint" the child while in the womb?

I mean, if listening to some Yanni is going to make my kid a genius while he's in the womb, what kind of damage could a dark sider do to the kid before he's born?

Keep in mind we are talking about a universe where people can use a mystical "force" to move starships and there are species that take the form of living crystals.

Just a thought..

:D

Arcome
10 December 2002, 06:14 AM
Is someone born a mean, rude, or greedy person. Lightside or Dark is a choice everyone has to choose for themselves. You choose to force grip to save yourself, or you choose to die. Everything you do, you choose to do. Even if both choices suck.

BRodgers
10 December 2002, 06:45 AM
True...but if a child is taught from birth (or even before) that killing, maiming and general chaos is okay..then will there even be a chioice for them when they have to chose? I don't think so...a child is going to go with what it was taught and what it knows to be familiar. So a child tainted by the darkside and raised from birth to be evil and vile will be...we can romanticize all we want about a "dark beign going over to the light"..and sure..there is always a possibility it COULD happen..but I think the dark nurturing is going to win out in the end..most times anyway.

Heck take a look at the Jedi during the Old Republic..they actively sought out force potential in children and recruited them..in my opinion so the children wouldnt even have the chance to go over to the dark side..who can say that if the tables were switched and the Jedi were instead Sith they wouldnt have done the same thing? In fact, Im sure they would have...(or outright killed the children upon birth to prevent any future opposition).

:raised:

waza sunrider
11 December 2002, 12:15 PM
seems that most answers have been covered,, but i think they are all pointing to the same direction if one is born to either side some manupulation has taken place one way or the other.
befor birth teh child is IMO considered gray area or neutral if you will,
if teh mother or someone else consistantly bombards teh child in the womb with either side tehy will "be born that way" but only because of outside influcne got there first befor birth.

BRodgers
11 December 2002, 05:08 PM
indeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

;)

Lehesu
12 December 2002, 04:38 AM
Remember,there is no Dark side and Light side.These terms,invented by ancient Jedi,actually(though it was not to their knowledge)desribe the Force's use.

Koort
2 January 2003, 12:09 AM
Here is an interesting supposition for you:
The reason that Yoda was hestant to train or allow the training of both Anakin and Luke was because they were "too old to begin the training", with the rider of the presence of Darkside-path steps (eg, Fear) existing within the individual. As has been previously noted, the Jedi tended to recruit at or shortly after birth, most likely in order to condition the children's minds against the base emotions and reactions that lead to the Dark Side (or negative use of the Force, depending on your point of view).

Given the natural inclination of children everywhere to be greedy, selfish, destructive little whirlwinds until taught otherwise in their upbringing, is it possible that humans born with Force potential in general are born with the inclination to use the Dark Side until trained otherwise?

If one compares Force use with psychic activity in humans (be it in literature or in purportedly real cases), there is an interesting note to make: human psychism, particularly pyschokinetic activity (moving physical objects by mental power) is usually depicted as first manifesting in respone to intense emotional stimulus, usually pain, fear, anger, etc. (See such books as Steven King's Firestarter and Carrie for examples.)

If the manifestation of Force pontential into Force ability works the same way, it could be argued that all untrained Force users are inclined initially to the Dark Side, if only because of the circumstances under which use of the untrained power would likely first occur.

Koort
2 January 2003, 01:17 AM
**shameless bump**
Front page didn't show that a new post had been added to the thread.

BRodgers
2 January 2003, 07:17 AM
Koort brings up an interesting point.

I think what is even more interesting is that he is awake at 5am.

This means he has either gotten up early or hasn't gotten to bed yet.

Heh.