PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Chiss just sitting their?

Jedi Master Talon
10 December 2002, 03:52 PM
I need someone to explain to me why are the Chiss sitting on their EDIT. I mean they'll have to fight them eventually so why not help the Republic now. Can someone tell me PLEASE.:?

CaamasiJedi49
10 December 2002, 03:59 PM
Its against their species philosphy to do pre-emptive strikes, so until they are attacked, and it might be too late by then for them, they won't fight back. Hope this helps.

Caamasi Jedi 49

Nova Spice
10 December 2002, 07:22 PM
I need someone to explain to me why are the Chiss sitting on their EDIT. I mean they'll have to fight them eventually so why not help the Republic now. Can someone tell me PLEASE.

Actually they aren't and I'll tell you what I mean in a moment. ;)

Its against their species philosphy to do pre-emptive strikes, so until they are attacked, and it might be too late by then for them, they won't fight back. Hope this helps.

Very true, but they have been attacked. :)

To clarify myself, remember in Vision of the Future, when Luke and Mara were in the Hand of Thrawn talking with Captain Parck? He mentioned that the Chiss had been battling forces in the Unknown Regions for years and that the Chiss were holding enemies back that only appear in one's nightmares. My instinct is that Parck was talking about the Yuuzhan Vong.

The Chiss live in the Unknown Regions and therefore cut off all contact with the civilized galaxy (save for General Soontir Fel and Jagged Fel's squadron). My guess is that the Chiss are actually holding off a huge Vong invasion from wiping out the Imperial Remnant. In other words, they are preventing a flanking attack on the Empire. If the Empire can stay strong then the remnants of the Republic and the Empire actually have the Vong flanked. The Chiss, I believe, are actually fighting for their lives and that of the Empire's in order to buy the Remnant and the New Republic time to rebuild their forces.

This is just a hypothesis, but I have a strong instinct I'm not far off. Although, I've been wrong before, so I won't place all my eggs in one basket! :D

ElfWord
10 December 2002, 08:50 PM
If the Chiss are in fact, doing nothing (as I'll politely phrase it), they have good reason to from a strategic point of view. The Chiss don't have any obligations to the New Republic, and the YV haven't shown any intention of invading Chiss territory until they are done with the NR. It makes sense for them to delay and gather information. They can build up supplies and defenses while the NR forces battle against the YV. If the YV start to lose and lose badly, the Chiss can jump in and help so they can claim some credit for defeating the YV, and if the YV defeat the NR, the Chiss can attack them at their weakest while the Chiss are at their strongest.

Ardent
10 December 2002, 09:54 PM
Well, they're not "just sitting there."

House Nuruodo, at least, is maintaining their high state of readiness. The YV, however, are not so stupid as to continue attacking a militarily superior force like the Chiss.

The Chiss, for their part, are stalwart defenders, but their honor code demands they not engage in an offensive battle (obviously what is an offensive battle is open to quite a lot of debate -- and the Fels don't hold themselves to the same standard [however, they do not demand any of their juniors break the code of honor unless they volunteer to]).

Jedi Master Talon
11 December 2002, 09:56 AM
Well if it's aganist their code to do a premtive strike aganist the YV then the Chiss are as good as dead. While they sit their they make it easier for the Vong to get to them. Even if they don't want t do a pemtive strike they should at least send some of the fleet to defend at Bastion, maybe even Mon Calimari. But just to sit their is hurting them more then it is the Vong. That's my opinion.:rolleyes:

jedi knight Big Rig
11 December 2002, 10:30 AM
I dont think that they are sitting back. in our game they are pretty active to plot out against uw. so i dont really see them sitting on there butts at all really anywhere. thats my opinionB)

Apocalypse
11 December 2002, 10:51 AM
I seriously doubt the Chiss are fighting off any large scale attack by the YV. The Chiss may have had some scuffles with them, but the YV are primarily concearned with the NR at the moment. The YV are already using tremendous amounts of their resources just fighting the NR. I also don't think the Chiss are going to be protecting the Empire. As much as I like the Empire, they are simply not worth protecting. The Empire occupies a relatively small area of space, and its military is no where near what it used to be.

genehow67
11 December 2002, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I'd have to vote against the YV as the Chiss nemesis also. If they had been battling them all this time, then I'd think that when they helped out at Ithor, they would have provided some intel to NR forces. Also, wasn't Jagged sent out toscout the YV for the Chiss, so they'd be prepared?

JMHO

Jim Williams
12 December 2002, 05:27 AM
I'm thinking this threat in the Unknown Regions may be the setting for the next series of books after the NJO. and conveniently enough we have a Zahn book coming (gasp) as the NJO winds down to kind of prepare us readers for what lies out there. IMO

Ardent
12 December 2002, 10:18 AM
Assuming this threat isn't something entirely new (safe assumption: imagine the collective groans), you can cut it down to three logical groups: the Ssi-ruuk, the Charon and the Yuuzhan Vong. Just...think about it. By far the most logical is the YV.

However, as I said, the YV aren't stupid enough to throw themselves into a full-scale war with a militarily prepared state like the Cheunh Imperium. Why do you think Nom Anor worked so hard to bring the Empire down? Not just to amuse himself, I can guarantee you.

The Chiss take on subterfuge is probably the same as their take on open warfare; they'll fight it off, but until an overt strike is made, they won't retaliate. It's highly likely when Fel spoke about "fending off enemies" he meant politically and in relation to espionage.

Jedi Master Talon
12 December 2002, 10:21 AM
I just think The Chiss are just not to bright when it comes to fighting the people that are just taking control of the galaxy. I'm thinking it's just not smart.:mad:

Nova Spice
12 December 2002, 02:57 PM
I just think The Chiss are just not to bright when it comes to fighting the people that are just taking control of the galaxy. I'm thinking it's just not smart.

I don't know Talon. It is always unwise to enter a conflict when you are not prepared (That's why our military hasn't attacked Iraq yet. We're buying time with the UN to build up our forces in the area). I imagine the Chiss are actively scouting and gathering intelligence for the inevitable conflict. In fact, when you look at the Chiss and see what they are doing, you realize that the Imperial Remnant has taken a lesson from them as well. Since Dark Tide II: Ruin, the Empire has been non-existent. The reason why is because they allowed the New Republic to buy the Remnant time to stock up their forces. We see this decision to be a very wise one in Destiny's Way when Han and Leia make their visit to Bastion. Pellaeon had thousands of stormtroopers to greet the Solos, as well as a Super-class Star Destroyer in orbit. These are resources they did not have during the Battle of Ithor. These are resources that became available because the Empire let the New Republic do all the fighting.

And as far as the Chiss not being bright, I think Thrawn pretty much proved that not to be the case. :D

Anyway, don't fear about the Chiss just sitting their. I promise, they aren't. I think you'll find out how active they have been in the next novel. ;)

CaamasiJedi49
12 December 2002, 03:16 PM
I agree with Nova. It may seem like a bad idea to not attack, but they are doing the right thing in the long term. Stocking up on weapons is the right thing to do when your enemy controls 1/3 of the galaxy, and you only 20 odd worlds. But I have my doubts they will be attacked since I rememeber reading th YV are looking frantically for them, but they haven't found there location. This could change if the empire falls since the route to chiss territory is probaly stored somewhere in the Empire (maybe Bastion?). So lets hope the GA saves the day for the empire (if things start to look bad. but you never know with the Empire, they may pull through!) so our friendly blue-skinned, red eyed aliens live another day.

Caamasi Jedi49

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
12 December 2002, 05:06 PM
IMHO...

The Chiss are following one of the greatest rules of warfare:

Strike at THE decisive point.

One of the simplest and yet most powerful rules of warfare is that when you hit, hit hard, fast, and with everything you've got. Put the otherguy on the ground and DO NOT give them a breather. Now, even if the Chiss don't violate their code of honor, the decisive point is NOT here yet. The enemy is very powerful, and has yet to show all of his strength.

Bad decisions are made based on bad intelligence. Hell, they can be made on GOOD intel. The information the Chiss have on the YV at the moment is probably quite incomplete. Besides, the NR is most certainly not tying down the YV. Even coordinated with the Empire, they haven't landed a decisive blow yet. Wait until the other guy is reeling, then hit him in his glass jaw. As of yet, the YV are proving most redundant. Wait until they've been hit where it REALLY hurts, then the Chiss will just let them have it.

Another point is that right now, the humans in Chiss space are probably trying to gain the support of the different Chiss houses in an attempt to go in under a unified government. The New Republic was splintered from the start, and look what happened: They lost BIG time. I'm guessing that once the NR and the Imperial Remnant have a solid victory to stand on, or the Chiss get the general idea that they're next on the menu, they won't wait any longer.

Jedi Master Talon
12 December 2002, 05:36 PM
I'm beginning to understan you guys but if they are building up strengh they're doing a pretty good job about it. If the Imps have a SSD then maybe the Chiss should build one. BY the way have we seen any Chiss capitial ships, if so what book because I'd like to see (or techniclllay read) about. All we have seen is the Clawcraft. So I hope they have more instored for the YV then we've seen. :)