PDA

View Full Version : Online Journal: THE NEW ISSUE 2

AxiustheDark
16 December 2002, 12:32 PM
Issue 2 of the Online Journal (http://starwars-rpg.net/journal/) is NOW AVAILABLE!

That's right folks. The Online Journal staff, in conjuction with starwars-rpg.net, are proud to bring you the next installment of starwars-rpg.net's Star Wars Gaming Magazine. (http://starwars-rpg.net/journal/)

Volume 2: Issue 2 of the Online Journal (http://starwars-rpg.net/journal/) aims to please all fans of Star Wars gaming, as it contains a wealth of information useful in both d6 and d20 campaigns. Look Inside (http://starwars-rpg.net/journal/) for a campaign setting by Owen K.C. Stephens, ways to survive the tundra, new force techniques, and much much more.

The Journal is presented in two formats for your viewing pleasure; a PDF version for ease of printing and use as part of your library, and the Online version made for quick skimming and low bandwiths. So, go check it out by clicking on any of the links above or RIGHT HERE (http://starwars-rpg.net/journal/).

The Online Journal is made possible by readers and gamers just like you. Please submit your article today (http://starwars-rpg.net/journal/submission.html).

I'd also like to thank the staff of the Online Journal for their hard work, the wonderful artists at SWAG (who toil tirelessly to let us all see the beauty of the gaming world), the authors, and everyone else who worked to bring the Issue to fruition. Thanks guys.

Ris
16 December 2002, 12:53 PM
Axius, I've skimmed through it already--and will give it a more thorough reading quite soon.

The art is great & I loved the humor items as much as the meatier gaming material

Korpil
16 December 2002, 12:58 PM
I've read some of it, and it's EXCELLENT!

The alternate Empire campaign made me drool and when I tell my players about it, I'm sure they'll want a piece of it!!!!

Thanks to all who cooperate for this big effort! Keep up the good work!

Nafai
16 December 2002, 01:21 PM
And thus the triumphant return is solidified! Thanks to all of the contributers that provided the meat of this issue.

Don't forget to send in your Submissions (http://starwars-rpg.net/journal/submission.html)!

Moose
16 December 2002, 01:24 PM
Great stuff. I loved the Star Side art/humor. The Shadows of a Rebellion was awsome. Really excellent work...def worth the time to check out as usual.

Mmm...now if only I could get my hands on some Greef:D

Jim Williams
16 December 2002, 03:39 PM
Urgkle rules!

After reading about Cold Weather Ops, I feel a little (emphasis on the little) more sympathy for Imps.

I liked the art for my contribution...neat touch.

The alternate universe is making me wish...I had time to start another campaign! Stang! That was good.

Rouge8
16 December 2002, 05:55 PM
None of the links seem to work.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
16 December 2002, 06:08 PM
All the starwars-rpg.net is down. Probably a bandwidth problem.

hisham
16 December 2002, 06:13 PM
Didn't this happen last time when Vol2 Issue1 came out? :)

Jim Williams
16 December 2002, 06:27 PM
Patience...you must learn patience. Tomorrow the OJ will be there. Many days ahead of you to enjoy there are...

evan hansen
16 December 2002, 06:35 PM
Yeah. It did. :)

Long story short: I've already sent an email to Tim and to others to figure out exactly what the best course of action is. There are obvious solutions, cheap solutions, expensive solutions, etc... (e.g., we could switch hosts, we could wait until we get some free hosting that we might get, we could stick with what we've got if they're upgrading, we could demand a cheaper price, etc...) Ultimately, it's not worthwhile to make a move unless it's guaranteed to be the best solution. So I'm going to take my time and figure out what that is. I haven't taken a look at the logs we have in a while. So I'd like to see what kind of information it is that we've got to work with. If this is getting so many hits that we're only going to be safe going with a significantly more expensive host, we're not doing ourselves any favors.

Anyhow, we're all very aware of the problems, and we'll be working on it. I was kind of hoping that the huge, huge, huge release of Issue 1 was going to be just as big but spread out a little more with the release of Issue 2 -- but I guess that was a pipedream. ;)

But for those that have already seen it, I think the one thing that really stands out here is that Issue 2 rules!!!

A big thanks and congrats to Axius, Nafai, Bob, and everyone else involved. The amount of work put into this thing is pretty intense.

Nafai
16 December 2002, 07:52 PM
Well, Evan, you have to take into account that it's not just the OJ. Yes, the large file size of the downloads is what makes the cup spill over, but with all of the hosted sites you have, combined with the fact that there are 4000 daily hits to SWAG--all primarily viewing image files, the overall site bandwidth usage is quite high on a regular basis.

I thought that this host gave unlimited bandwidth? Is it perhaps only monthly unlimited, but has a daily limit?

And I know you probably already know it--but it's not going to slack up any. With what we have in store for Issue 3, you can expect even greater numbers of hits and usage of bandwidth. ;)

Darklighter
16 December 2002, 08:22 PM
I just wanted to say that I was blown away by the over-all layout and look of this issue! Very slick! :)

Ris
17 December 2002, 12:39 AM
Just wanted to add that not only is the new OJ great--so is the staff!B)

Through some of my other holonet posting & RPing, I've had the pleasure of "meeting" several eidtorial staffers--& contributors to the latest issue, as well.

All of them have been quite friendly & helpful. Just as SWRPGNet & the holonet are encouraging to new GM's, the OJ people are even more encouraging to new & potential contributors.

And yes, Nafai, the above does mean you're very likely to see, & soon, submissions from me, or that I have contributed to. :)

scottyboy
17 December 2002, 04:43 AM
Well, <b>Ris</b>, we definitely look forward to anything that you wish to submit. And that goes for everyone else too. If you've got something you've been working on, submit it!

And now, let me take the time to personally thank and commend all the work that Nafai and Axius, in particular, put into this issue and probably all issues to come. I know that the work that I put into it is miniscule in comparison to that which you guys do. I'm sure that I can speak for the rest of the community when I say <b><u><i>"Very well done, my friends! Keep up the great work!"</i></u></b>

reliant
17 December 2002, 05:36 AM
I'm not just saying this because I submitted stuff, but anyone who doesn't go and read the new OJ is seriously missing out on something great... Between the articles, the humor, and the amazing artwork, I'd have to say that IMHO, this is the best OJ yet.

My favorite parts have to be "The Lonely Gammorean" and the campaign setting from Owen Stephens... :D

By the way, it is definately worth the time to download the PDF version of the OJ. It looks totally awesome...

evan hansen
17 December 2002, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Nafai
Well, Evan, you have to take into account that it's not just the OJ. Yes, the large file size of the downloads is what makes the cup spill over, but with all of the hosted sites you have, combined with the fact that there are 4000 daily hits to SWAG--all primarily viewing image files, the overall site bandwidth usage is quite high on a regular basis.

*nods* Very true.

I thought that this host gave unlimited bandwidth? Is it perhaps only monthly unlimited, but has a daily limit?

Aye, they do. I've sent out a few emails to see what we can do about this.

And I know you probably already know it--but it's not going to slack up any. With what we have in store for Issue 3, you can expect even greater numbers of hits and usage of bandwidth. ;)

*chuckle* Maybe we should just let it slide, and it can be an ongoing joke. Every issue, we can just crash our hosting provider's entire operation. :D "Watch the online community flex its collective muscle. MWHAHAHAHAHA."

In all seriousness though, I don't doubt that Issue 3's going to be a hell of an effort. I'm glad to see that the community understands how hard you guys work to make all of this happen. And I know everyone's mouths are more or less watering at the prospect of Issue 3. :)

Nafai
17 December 2002, 05:55 AM
Yes, the community response is fantastic. Like a warm thermal under the wings of a buzzard I rise.....

*cough*

Oh, and I do encourage everyone that's looked at or downloaded the journal to answer the poll below. It will reallyhelp us define what is the best use of our time and efforts in regard to the delivery method of the Journal in the future.

Penangallan
17 December 2002, 06:53 AM
Wonderful job, guys. You have raised the bar, and I certainly hope that the OJ continues for many more issues to come.

Kudos,
Gary

Ardent
17 December 2002, 06:54 AM
Bah on Ax.

Anyhow, I just wanted to agree with the assessment that the OJ looks fantastic. I also wanted to take a second and thank Shadowdeep for some incredible artwork.

Mostly because I have no choice, I have no doubt I'll be contributing again soon...and then soon again after that...

My poor arm...

Nova Spice
17 December 2002, 07:07 AM
Anyhow, I just wanted to agree with the assessment that the OJ looks fantastic. I also wanted to take a second and thank Shadowdeep for some incredible artwork.

I second that, the picture of the Warder blew me off the wall! Fortunately, Ardent gave me a sneak peek of this PrC several weeks ago and I was lucky enough to have access to it before hand. IMO, this PrC is one of the most unique Force-using classes I have ever seen and it will be a great resource for Force Adepts in Fringe campaigns.

Great job Ardent!

Great job Pete!

:D

StClair
17 December 2002, 03:52 PM
I was very impressed by this issue, in part because I got to see it "cold" like the rest of the readership. (Though I was also impressed, as a former staffer, that it came out so soon after the last one!)

I like the new cover design, and the story of how the art came to be was great; talk about a community effort! The SWAG continues to excel. Some fine articles, too: a very interesting alternate Rebellion, some cool aliens, another installment of Tales of the Freespirit, and more that I've forgotten at the moment.

On the subject of submissions, I wanted to remind the readership that "Dice, Camera, Action!" is a semi-regular column (and not MY column, though I'm starting to think about another idea, more narrowly focused). Per Moridin, who came up with it, "[DCA] is a 'how to GM Star Wars like the movies' article." So if you can think of anything along those lines, send it in! (There's also "Behind the Screens", which I believe is intended to be a more general GM-advice column.)

In closing, great job everyone! Looking forward to the next issue.

Shadowdeep
17 December 2002, 05:28 PM
Hey, glad to do it Ardent! I had particular fun researching and designing the gear, and *trying* to realize your vision. I'm happy that it works for you!

Sherman Shipyards
28 December 2002, 10:41 PM
I must say that the skill and feats section was wonderful. The OJ is quicklly rising up to the quality that we so loved in SW Gamer. And to add to my pleasure, there isn't a card taking up space.

I look foward to the next issue.

Ris
31 December 2002, 05:39 AM
...so once more can someone tell me when the next issue is coming out & how often is OJ going to be published?

Ris :?

Nafai
31 December 2002, 06:04 AM
Ris, first, make sure you Subscribe (journal@starwars-rpg.net) to the OJ! Secondly, the next issue should be out around the first of February. The plan is to release every 6 weeks. ;)

Ris
6 January 2003, 04:52 AM
Nafai, Thanks for the info. And yes, I did subscribe, almost right away. Several OJ fanatics, er, staffers (who shall remain nameless) would give me no peace until I did! 8o

As if I needed any arm-tw--uh, encouragement:)

Dr_Worm
18 January 2003, 02:02 PM
Hey I was curious if you guys sent out rejection letters or just let stuff go. I am new to submitting so I would not be surprised if a submission of mine got rejected (all part of the learning process), but I have heard nothing so I just wanted to ask. Perhaps my submission never got to you.

Nafai
18 January 2003, 02:57 PM
What did you submit? And what name did you use? I don't see any from Dr_Worm, and I'm afraid I don't know your real name! ;)

Rogue Janson
19 January 2003, 03:39 AM
The combination of content and SWAG artwork in the journal is just stunning. I really wish I had more opportunities to play SWRPG to try all the stuff out.