PDA

View Full Version : Jabba The Hutt

Biggs Solo
17 December 2002, 03:57 PM
Jabba The Hutt. Originally cast a man but later turned into an alien.

mojo1701
17 December 2002, 04:32 PM
I think that a whole race dedicated to the underworld was a good idea.

Besides, a human named Jabba the Hutt would be kinda... ehhh....

Jedi_Staailis
17 December 2002, 04:35 PM
I think Jabba works much better as an alien. He's repulsive enough just from his actions and (lack of) morals. Add the appearance and you have a thorougly despicable character. At the same time, he's so repugnant that the character develops a sort of charm.

If they had left Jabba a human, we (the viewers) would have thought, "crimelord" and left it at that. Instead we have a memorable encounter with a giant slug.

mojo1701
17 December 2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis:

I think Jabba works much better as an alien. He's repulsive enough just from his actions and (lack of) morals. Add the appearance and you have a thorougly despicable character. At the same time, he's so repugnant that the character develops a sort of charm.

If they had left Jabba a human, we (the viewers) would have thought, "crimelord" and left it at that. Instead we have a memorable encounter with a giant slug.

Jedi_Staailis made the point that I was trying to make.

ElfWord
17 December 2002, 08:35 PM
I think Jabba as a Human would have been more of an anti-hero for Han Solo. It could have detracted from the rest of the story, because it would be easier to associate Han with Jabba and Jabba's horrible lifestyle. Jabba as an alien is easier to despise as a bad guy. And some people might be more offended by Leia chocking Jabba to death with a chain if he were a human.

Bombaatu
17 December 2002, 09:00 PM
I like Jabba as a giant slug - interesting character, in a repulsive sort of way. What I *don't* like is the way EU and the Phantom Menace treated Hutts. The two filmed instances of Hutts are both vile crimelords (the second being Durga), so the entire species are criminals?!? That's like saying the entire human race are annoying gits based on only seeing Carrot-top and Gilbert Godfried!

What I would absolutely love to see is a good and noble (the adjective, not the D20 class) Hutt! Tempest Feud comes close with Popara, but you just don't see enough of him IMO.

Darklighter
17 December 2002, 10:22 PM
Definitely an alien. The use of the Hutt as an alien, along with the varied retinue that accompanied him, added a depth and richness to the Star Wars Universe. Like the Cantina in A New Hope, the first moments in Jabba's throne room underline the point that you are in "a galaxy far, far away", and that this galaxy is a place completely alien to the viewer.

At the same time, Jabba himself represents an incarnation of several of the seven deadly sins, in a way. He's huge, gluttonous, full of wrath and deception, lustful - heck, let's face it, the hutt was really good at being really bad, and his slimy, slug-like appearance, combined with his behaviour, underlined the point.

On a side note to Bombaatu, I think you'd have hated the Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin. In those books, crime is the primary economic activity of the whole Hutt species. ;)

Bombaatu
18 December 2002, 02:05 PM
I've read and enjoyed them, but it is a prime example of what I mean.

Mr. Fett
18 December 2002, 04:41 PM
I think Jabba as a HUTT is better because a crime lord is easier to hate if they are NOT humans. Humans make awful crimelords. A hutt is a much better crimelord they are ugly, smart, greedy,and crafty.

da_gm
18 December 2002, 06:36 PM
I like Jabba the way his is!

The reason all Hutts are criminals is IMO that it is very easy to generalise an alien species and assign anattribute to them. This happens quite a lot in sci-fi. Humans, on the other hand, are often described as diverse and easily adabptable. This i think, come from the fact that we ourselves are humans and can appriciate our diversity, and often asociate "alien" groups of people with a single attribute. I bet if i say frenshman (writing as a non-frensh)we all have our own oppinion of what theyīre all about, perhaps itīs not the correct version, but we all have an oppinion.
What iīm trying to say is, that it is easy to generalise people we donīt understand completely and thats why in many sci-fi stories aliens get a single atribute assigned to them. In this case Hutts - criminals.

fritzer
19 December 2002, 03:18 PM
I have to agree with Jedi_Staailis and Darklighter, Jabba is better for the crimelord position. As a human we wouldn't really care much. An alien jabba is character you'd love to hate.

Sinth Lans
20 December 2002, 05:24 AM
I feel bad for good hutts. They always get a bad rep. Kind of like the Italians. I mean you can't be Italian without somone thinking your in the mob.

I think he should have been human. They could have cast Tony from the Sopranos. Instead of Bobba Fett they could have had Paulie....

j/k :D

Jedi_Shadow
20 December 2002, 06:12 AM
Incidentaly, Lucas never intended Jabba to be human. The famous footage where we see Han Solo with a "human Jabba" Has a history. See, George Lucas planned on taking that footage and replacing the man (who was no more than a stand-in) with a large, furry mobster monster. Jabba was always an alien in Lucas' mind, it was just a matter of what kind.

But I bet you've all had enough of my ultra-anal attitude in this post.

SLUG JABBA RULES!!

Jericho_Narcas
20 December 2002, 09:16 AM
That's true -- Jabba was intended to be an alien from the get-go.

Emperor Xanderich II
21 December 2002, 05:57 AM
Moving to Rebellion Era

Odde Bogodde
21 December 2002, 08:22 AM
I think the whole character concept of Jabba was very well done as an alien....it would have been lame for some fat ugly guy to play Jabba.

Jaggard
21 December 2002, 12:35 PM
depends on where your getgo starts. Jabba in versions of the scripts is part of the crew of the Falcon on which Han is a member. That jabba is human or atleast humanoid, The boss of the ship at the time was undetermined in race but was a bloated drug addict. Jabba seems to have stayed a human through most if not all script versions in the New Hope. Maybe on the set he thought Hmmmm maybe if he were an alien.
Intresting to note that han calls him a wonderful human being. It take in the connotation of a slur or a joke at his expense with a slug Jabba but how would it seem with just a human. And of course the comicbooks have that scene in them with a human jabba (as it was taken directly from the unaltered footage.

Jedi Master Talon
10 January 2003, 09:24 AM
One thing is if they kept him as a man their technically is no Hutt race so. I think having the race of the Hutts is good in the universe.

Jericho_Narcas
10 January 2003, 02:37 PM
Actually, Jabba was an alien in the Marvel comic adaptation as well, although he wasn't the slug-like Hutt we're all familiar with -- he was a more humanoid type of alien. I read on a website somewhere that Marvel presented Jabba as one of the aliens from the actual movie footage, but apparently not the type of alien George Lucas had in mind.