PDA

View Full Version : Plot twist: Into Chiss space? Would this work?

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
17 December 2002, 04:53 PM
Alright. My players are getting ready to leave Ambria. One of them is going to meet a Force Spirit (you know who you are...he he), and continue his training. However, there are a couple of problems:

First, the YV are blocking off all escape routes. While they don't have enough forces to control the system, they've effectively got all the easy destinations bottled up...they and their Peace Brigade clowns. While Ambria's secret remains safe, my characters have some tough choices to make.

The nearest 'safe' and 'friendly' territory would be the Hapan Consortium. The problem is, the YV have basically blockaded it to keep the Hapans bottled up. So the heroes can't go there. Their hideout would require some substantially long trips to get to, and, despite the fact that they're all Jedi, the supplies they have aren't going to get them there (I mean, this hideout is near Bakura, and the YV are blocking every direct route).

So I came up with this, to kind of...shall we say...liven things up and make them much more interesting:

Imperial Remnant or Chiss space?

That's right, you heard me. My players are actually considering going into Chiss space, or coming to their border and asking to be granted admittance, at least to resupply. But it raised a couple of questions:

First, does the New Republic, or what's left of it, have an embassy on Csilla, or in their territory? Second, how would Jedi be received, seeing as the Chiss may or may not have their own Force traditions? Third, would the players be admitted at all? I really don't think the Chiss would be so inhumane as to turn away those in need, even if some of them turn out to be Jedi. Not only that, but their ships don't pose much of a threat...there are 4-5 ships that my heroes use (they're doing the Kyp's Dozen thing on a smaller scale while trying to contact some NR forces and link up), and most of those ships are kind of banged up, with their missile weaponry down to about two missiles/torpedoes at best and depleted at worst.

I know I'm kind of venturing into unknown territory here, but I've been fascinated by the Chiss for a long time...always thought Grand Admiral Thrawn was an incredibly well-done character.

Lemme know soonest!

CaamasiJedi49
18 December 2002, 06:25 AM
To answer your first question lian kysler, no, the NR never did, and probly never will be able to establish a embassy on Csilla (the chiss like to say isolated from the rest of the galaxy at large. Why is really beyond me). To answer number 2, they may not take a care if they are jedi or not, since being a jedi probly means nothing to them. Also, it was said in the alien anthology that it is not known if they have a force tradition, so if you want, make up something, but within reason for your players. To answer number 3, they may or may not. It really depends on the situation. If they meet up with Fel at the border of chiss space, if will probly let them come in, but if they meet some harliner chiss captain, they may not get in. Hope this helps.

Caamasi Jedi49

Jedi Master Talon
18 December 2002, 08:56 AM
Iain Kysler If you want you could have them go into CHiss space like you said but have them do something for the CHiss in exchange for supplies. It's just an idea. It's also possiable to go and meet with the Fels, their is just endless possabilitys and to go with the Jedi tradition there your characters would have to start one up because Grand Admrial Thrawn didn't really like Jedi.

18 December 2002, 10:40 AM
Because, as I recall, Thrawn was in exile from the Chiss for attacking the Jedi, and the family he came from, the...Nuruodo, or something like that, had no say in the internal affairs. Chiss houses are divided up like so:

Nuruodo: Controls military and foreign affairs for the Chiss, and Thrawn was a member, but was, as I understand it, something of an extremist because he killed the Outbound Flight Jedi.

Csapla: Controls colonial issues, natural resources, and agriculture.

Inrokini: Controls industry, sciences, communication, and nonmilitary technology.

Sabosen: Justice, public health, and education.

Therefore, it's possible they have their own Jedi tradition, however unlikely, because a) they were never under Imperial control. b) they seem to have a highly-ordered society, and as such, will need enforcers of that order and justice, although regular police would suffice, and c) many think they were originally descended from humans, so they definately aren't blind to the Force.

With regards to the trading for supplies, definately. One way or another, that'll work, because my characters aren't exactly poor, and they do have some interesting items in the cargo holds.

But is it workable? I mean, the Chiss are...what's the word...xenophobic, true? If the heroes were let in, would they be let out again any time soon?

ElfWord
18 December 2002, 11:51 AM
To clear something up for you, Thrawn was exiled from the Chiss because he preemptively struck the Outbound Flight, it had nothing to do with them being Jedi.
While the Chiss are xenophobic, I'd think that they'd be eager for the heroes to leave their territory as quickly as possible, and have no desire to capture them or imprison them. I see the Chiss halting the heroes at the border, maybe taking the fighters aboard one of their ships, and resupplying them their. Then asking them to not try to enter Chiss space. They'd probably update the PC's hyperspace route logs, giving them fresh information for Astrogation, and send them on their way.
If you want their encounter with the Chiss to be a bit more interesting, there's plenty of room for a curious Chiss captain who invites the players to dine with him. He possibly has an interest in gladiator droids and would like to see the Jedi duel with one of them?

Out of curiosity, where are you getting your information on the Chiss?

18 December 2002, 01:03 PM
I get my info on the Chiss from the Alien Anthology. I like the idea about the Chiss captain and the dinner 'arrangements'...he he he...just the thing I could spring on a couple of characters...*grin*

Ardent
19 December 2002, 07:38 AM
All of the Chiss houses have a Phalanx (home guard), while House Nuruodo serves as the primary body of the military. The first group your players would be likely to encounter is House Nuruodo's outermost recon patrols. The closest they're likely to get to Csilla is a dirtside base on the rim of Chiss territory.

I've put together Force traditions for the Chiss, only because the idea of a Chiss Jedi rankles me...but they're just Force Adept extension PrCs, nothing interesting.

Anyway, keep in mind that the Chiss aren't at war, and may agree to turn the heroes over to whatever outside party has shown an intrest in them.

Jedi Master Talon
19 December 2002, 09:06 AM
Elfword that is the funniest Idea ever. I might even use it in my game.

Vanger Chevane
30 December 2002, 03:44 PM
the Hand of Thrawn Duology. In it Soontir Fel mentions a number of threats, etc. beyond the experience & capacity of the NR to deal with trying to recruit Mara Jade.

Delving into Chiss Space would provide a number of unusual and dangerous encounters, not just the Chiss. Would be no surprise to me if the Chiss had to save the party from themselves.

also, very few ppl in Republic or Imperial space actually know where Chiss Space is other than "Somewhere in the Unknown Regions". Setting a course for Chiss Space would be very much like plotting one for Atlantis.

Jedi Master Talon
8 January 2003, 09:23 AM
Speaking of Chiss could I in my game have my characters help the Chiss fight off one of those threats or would the Chiss just kill us?

Vanger Chevane
8 January 2003, 05:54 PM
on how badly the Chiss were losing, and the attitude of the one in charge, they way very well accept the group's help. The situation would probably rely more on the party's unexpected arrival & involvement more than any sort of special wepaons or tactics. However, if the group's solution was very inventive and effective it may impress the Chiss. That would have to come out during play tho.

Afterward I'd expect them to be standoffish and closemouthed, but still grateful. Kind of a grudging respect.

I'd also make their arrival in Chiss space to be more accidental that planned as it's not really on any of the charts.

Since the Vong are pretty much a threat to the entire Galaxy, the Chiss may very well see to it that the group returns to action while learning as little as possible about themselves. Like pulling the group's freighter aboard their capship, then delivering them to a known place so the group can make their way on from that point without learning too much about where they were. Kinda pushing the party back into the battle so that if it gets to Chiss Home Turf, the PC's have had a chance to weaken the Vong for them. Kind of a semi-friendly, yet suspicious neutrality.

Let me draw you a Rebellion-era analogy of the Chiss veiwpoint.

You're part of a pirate band, fighting it out with the Local Authorities. Suddenly a Rebel Ship drops out of hyperspace & helps you beat em off. You don't really care for either the rebellion or Empire, and at this point Imperial Forces are a much more significant threat.

Since they helped you out, you may help them out, and any damage they do to the Empire is a good thing for you. You may take them in, help repair their ship, and be nice to them, but there's no way they're gonna get close to anything sensitive about your operation. You're independent & like it that way, therefore you'll take the necessary steps to keep them pretty much ignorant of your operation while refusing to join their fight, and allowing them to go take another poke or two at the Empire.

Hope this makes sense & helps ya out.

Jedi Master Talon
9 January 2003, 09:26 AM
It does help thenks for the help.

Vanger Chevane
11 January 2003, 08:30 AM
I've many years of GMing under my belt & do enjoy helping others make their stories work well.

In fact, I'd be interested to hear how your adventure turns out.