PDA

View Full Version : Problem with the PM system

ElfWord
19 December 2002, 01:45 PM
After spending a half hour carefully wording a response to a PM I received, trying to reply appropriately to a delicate issue, I sent my reply. I was sent to a page saying that the user's PM box was full and that they would be e-mailed, notifying them of this. I tried hitting the back button, only to have it take me back to the reply screen with a blank message. I checked my Sent folder and no copy of my message was there. The message that I wasted a half-hour on is gone. Is there anyway a feature could be added that would forward a user from the full mailbox notification page to the message they typed? This would be extremely helpful and would allow people to save messages they have spent time on instead of losing them into the bottomless pothole of the information highway. If not, I understand, thank you for taking the time to hear my request.
ElfWord

mojo1701
19 December 2002, 04:24 PM
That happened to me, too, ElfWord.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

(wait, that came off a little too paranoid, sorry!)

Nova Spice
19 December 2002, 06:12 PM
Hey guys, I can help you two out on this one. :)

I don't know who you were attempting to PM, but apparently the person has reached his/her maximum PM limit of two hundred. If you look carefully when you sign in, you'll notice that you have a bar signifying the storage space left on your account for sending or receiving PMs. Everytime you send a PM or receive one and do not delete it, the bar increases by one. When this number reaches two hundred, the user can no longer receive or send PMs until he/she has cleared out their stored messages.

Its not you two guys fault; the recipient just needs to clean out his/her PM box and you'll be able to PM one another. I hope that helps. :D

ElfWord
19 December 2002, 06:59 PM
Nova, I appreciate your trying to be helpful, but I already knew it wasn't my fault. :p What I'm frustrated about isn't that the user had a full PM box, but that I couldn't get back to the message I spent a half hour on. I understand that their PM box was full, but I had no way of knowing that before I sent the message. I'm just asking that some way of retrieving the message I tried to send be put into the system.
Thanks for the advice Nova, I guess you just misinterpreted what I knew and what I wanted changed. :D

Chris Curtis
19 December 2002, 07:19 PM
What I've gotten in the habit of doing, Elfword, is just making sure I do a quick CTRL-C copy of whatever I'm submitting before I send it off. Usually browsers will keep your information when you go "back" to a form, but sometimes they don't so this is something I do "just in case".

dragonseye
20 December 2002, 01:09 PM
Everytime you send a PM or receive one and do not delete it, the bar increases by one. When this number reaches two hundred, the user can no longer receive or send PMs until he/she has cleared out their stored messages.

Nova,

I do keep my PM box completely clear, but I'm still around 150 out of 200. Does it mean as soon as I reach 200, I'll never be able to PM again? :?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
20 December 2002, 01:27 PM
Delete the send PMs that you have dragonseye.

OverLord
20 December 2002, 01:30 PM
To the upper right you see a drop-down box that says "Inbox", you can chose "Sent PMs" and "Message Tracking" and delete the messages there too, that should do it.

If you don't want to fill the "Sent PMs" and "Message Tracking" again, you can unselect the boxes "Save a copy: Also save a copy in the 'Sent Items' folder." and "Request Read Receipt: Allows you to check whether your message has been read by the recipient." when you send a PM.

Hope that helps.

dragonseye
23 December 2002, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the help. I had tried doing that a while ago but it wouldn't let me; it worked this time though.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
16 January 2003, 08:44 AM
Arcome, this thread will solve your problem.

Jedi Cahlwyn
16 January 2003, 02:49 PM
I don't have that problem as I've never received nor sent a PM. I do know what you mean about typing a LOOONG well thought message then something happens and you loose it. I have started composing important messages in Notepad or MS Word then pasting it into the message... this might help you in the future as I'm pretty sure the feature you mentioned doesn't exist... the auto-clearing of forms is hard coded in as a security feature most likely.

Hope this helps...

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
16 January 2003, 07:40 PM
You can also use the Ctrl C command (or the copy button on your keyboard if you've got it) before you submit and copy what you wrote to your clipboard.