PDA

View Full Version : What do you want from me?

Moridin
21 December 2002, 11:22 PM
Kudos to all who recognize the Pink Floyd lyrics.

Anyhoo, I'm just trying to figure out what direction to take the SWRPGNetwork main site in. We've got new blood at Conversions and Submissions, but the main site has been slowing down due to my professional commitments and Armage's high school time. Yet, I've run into some other problems. When I sit down to come up with some more content, well, I'm sort of at a loss for individual items. With the promise of a future NJO sourcebook update from WotC, I don't want to waste time on stuff that I know I'll just have to take down. Likewise, there's been a drought lately of new Prequel era EU that I can draw from; no new novels in a while, and we're just now getting some new games. However, I do know a few things you WILL be getting:

New Decimus Sector campaign setting entries
An updated Net.Guide to Lightsaber Construction
Some new adventures to kick off the Unifying Force campaign
Some stats from the "Clone Wars" and "Bounty Hunter" video games

So, what else would you like to see? This is just a general call for input on where new content is drawn from. Speak up, amigos!

Talon Razor 'GM'
21 December 2002, 11:39 PM
Ssi-ruuk and Chiss. Though you may have them in NRESB. I would very much like to see more Net.Guides, maybe ones on CSA or Hapes.

I will post more later once I think of 'em...

The Noghri Jedi
22 December 2002, 12:09 AM
I would really like to see more on the Chiss. Something along the lines of a Net.Guide would be usefull, or even using the same format as you did for the Eraydia book you created. House names, in depth information on social stucture, Chiss specific weapons and equipment, starships and starfighters (besides Clawcraft).

And I'm begging you, PLEASE, more infinities stuff. What you've already got up is terrific, and I understand that thought line has run it's course, but I'm pretty sure there are other things you have running around your head that would be interesting to see.

And to make a lengthy thought short, JUST MORE !!!!!!!!!

White 5
22 December 2002, 12:45 AM
Updated Net Guide to Uglies to include D20 info and stats.

More Republic era ships.

....I know there was more I wanted to add...but my mind wandered.

Wade Trenor
22 December 2002, 12:54 AM
Most forums that I visit are based on the FAQ, or how characters did what they did in the movies (ie Yoda absorbing and deflecting Dooku's Force Lightning).

Also, updates on skills, such as new rules for Force Lightning based on what has been presented in the latest NJO novels.

Bubbalin
22 December 2002, 01:29 AM
There are a lot of roleplaying websites out there with various columns on how to run roleplaying games and also tips on playing in roleplaying games. How about a column in a similar vein, but dedicated to Star Wars specific subjects...
For instance, a lot of the tips that have been exchanged on the holonet in the various other forums could easily be summarised and set out as guidelines for specific in game problems or tips...

Just an idea...

corius
22 December 2002, 02:28 AM
I would like to see more conversions. For starships, equipment, just about everything. I would also like to see stats for things from the expanded universe, especially new species. I think that would be cool.:raised:

Seghast
22 December 2002, 03:07 AM
Intelligent species aren't the only enemies one can encounter on a mission; I'd like to see more creature stats, be it home-brew creatures, or creatures borrowed from other sources (t.v., movies, etc).

An updated version of the Net.Guide to Lightsaber Construction, with damage tables for artificial crystals, Corusca gems, and other jewels besides the norm.

Perhaps a Net.Guide to creating new alien species and creatures for those of us who love to play with home-brew stuff.

I'll probably think of more later... Hope it helps a little.

Jordan_Karr
22 December 2002, 05:58 AM
Personaly I would like to see a few things.
~More adventures set in the three diffrent era's
~More D6 Starship Conversions to D20
~Adventure Tips (just simple ideas to help someone form an adventure)
~More Artwork
~Net. Guides to diffrent planets. I know the core worlds book is out soon but lets not forget the worlds past the core.
~Net. Guide to Clone Troopers and Stormtroopers
~Net. Guide filled with Generic Citizens of the galaxy (NPC) this way your playes can stop and ask a person on the street and this NPC is a fleshed out persona.
~Update the Net. Guide for Uglies, use Old Repubic ships and New Republic ships. Both d6 and d20
~Net. Guide to pirates in the galaxy

Well thats my list of suggestions

Thanks for the chance to speak out I hope this helps you out and will lead you in a direction that you want to go in.

Jordan Karr

Talonne Hauk
22 December 2002, 08:44 AM
Hmmm. Well, Moridin, you'll be working on Spycraft. Perhaps a How-To on importing material from one D20 genre to another, as I'm sure Spycraft has more than a few good ideas that could translate into Star Wars. It would provide an excellent opportunity to teach new GM's a very important concept; game balance.
Something I always felt was lacking in Star Wars products was material dedicated to creating atmosphere. For instance, we've all heard of the Tarkin Doctrine, (Hopefully, we all have.;) ) but has anyone actually seen it? A mockup on that would be fun to print out and hand out to my players.
Guides on various aspects of daily life. This may be dry stuff, but a look at how the mundane citizens live their lives will really flesh out NPC's.
As I think up more, I'll chime back in.

ElfWord
22 December 2002, 08:47 AM
The #1 thing I'd like to see more if is more Inifinities content. New ships, new people, new equipment.
I'd also like to see SWRPGNetwork shift part of it's focus to assisting fan-created projects. There are a lot of projects out there (The Underworld Sourcebook, Arms & Equipment Guidebook Supplement, New Republic Era Sourcebook) that would greatly benefit from the assistance of the Network. Instead of doling out bits and pieces of new equipment to the community, why not contribute it to the sourcebooks being created? The more help these fan-based projects get, the quicker they can be completed and the sooner the projects will be released to the community.
I'd like to see more guides on roleplaying, writing, prestige class creating, more How-to stuff. Give a man a starship and he'll be happy for an era, but teach him how to create his own and he'll be happy forever!

Also, I'd like to add that I am very interested in working on the Unifying Force project. I can help edit or organize, and also create adventures. If you need qualifications, talk to Talon Razor 'GM' and/or Dan Kyrinov, who can both attest to my helpfulness with the projects they are working on. I'd love to help out in any areas you need me, so send me a PM if you have any questions or want me to help.

kckamas
22 December 2002, 09:10 AM
I'd like to see more artwork, I really like having a picture to go along with the stats.
Also, maybe Net.Guides to simple mundane things in the star wars universe: food, drinks, the holonet, communication, public transportation (planetary and galactic), commerce, lists of companies and corporations, etc.

Nafai
22 December 2002, 09:40 AM
Also, maybe Net.Guides to simple mundane things in the star wars universe: food, drinks, the holonet, communication, public transportation (planetary and galactic), commerce, lists of companies and corporations, etc.

I think this is perhaps the simplest and most instantly useful bit that could be done. We've started a regular column in the OJ called The Spice Den that is very much like that, but it only deals with drinks and illicit goods. And even if we hit our desired schedule, that's likely to be only 8 small write ups per year, and only covering that topic.

I think that this type of content ("simple mundane things") being put into gaming terms by the experienced staff here at the Network would be capitalizing on an area that is not otherwise covered by anyone else, official or otherwise.

Corr Terek
22 December 2002, 09:40 AM
Well, I would like to see more D20 and D6 How-To guides. I was unlucky enough to come into the SWRPG arena after WEG lost the license, and I am a poor guy who can't afford to buy the new D20 stuff. So, I'd like to see How-To guides on the following:

-- How to create Droid stats (maybe listing all the known extras and stuff: i.e. body build, special capabilities, etc.)
-- How to do Creature Stats
-- How to do Ship & Vehicle Stats
-- How to do Weapon Stats

I ask for these particularly because without them I have a hard time doing such stats.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
22 December 2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Seghast
Perhaps a Net.Guide to creating new alien species and creatures for those of us who love to play with home-brew stuff.

I've been thinking about doing just this, due to my sick fascination with alien species.

Moridin
22 December 2002, 10:19 AM
Hmmm. Well, Moridin, you'll be working on Spycraft. Perhaps a How-To on importing material from one D20 genre to another, as I'm sure Spycraft has more than a few good ideas that could translate into Star Wars.

Well, one part of the mission statement of SWRPGNetwork is that we only produce content from Star Wars for Star Wars. We don't do crossovers and such, so the chances of seeing any such conversion guide are pretty slim. We created this site as a Star Wars resource and that's how we intend it to stay.

I'd also like to see SWRPGNetwork shift part of it's focus to assisting fan-created projects. There are a lot of projects out there (The Underworld Sourcebook, Arms & Equipment Guidebook Supplement, New Republic Era Sourcebook) that would greatly benefit from the assistance of the Network.

Well, we're more than happy to host such supplement here on the Submissions site. We've already done stuff like Secrets of Cerea and I've got a group of guys that are working on a supplement to Coruscant and the Core Worlds that we'll be hosting. However, the whole reason I started the site was that it was intended to be a stats database, and I haven't had the time lately to contribute to big group projects. I support them fully, but I prefer to let other members of the community handle stuff like that.

Well, expect to see a section on communications and the Holonet in the Hero's Guide; that was something I wrote up because I knew lots of people would be interested in it. There was a Web Enhancement to the Arms & Equipment Guide that had a huge list of major corporations. As for public transportation, well, I don't know how much there really would be to cover there, but if anyone's interested in seeing something like that I'm sure someone else would volunteer. Food & drinks I don't really know how to handle, but I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't gurantee I'll be able to fulfill them all, but keep them coming.

proxima centauri
22 December 2002, 10:33 AM
As strange as it may seem, I would like to have more NPC/PC with stats and background. I'm a busy GM and although I have ideas for plots and NPCs, I find I have no time to develop characters and background for them. Sort of a repository of characters, maybe a little less generic than the archetypes in the RCRB. I would love to have the ability to choose an "original" character I can use or play with, with an edge to him/her and some personality.

:)

Wesly Senesca
22 December 2002, 10:36 AM
Here's a thought:

How about some rules for Force Jump?

In the movies Luke used, Obi Wan used it, Anakin used it, and Windu used it, but none of them have the feat Force Flight. What I want is rules for how to make those "intuitive jumps" that a Jedi makes. It seems so rudimentary that it shouldn't be a feat (if it is a feat at all). I think it would make more sense as an alternate use for an existing skill or feat.

Just a thought.

Jedi_Staailis
22 December 2002, 10:39 AM
I think you're already planning what I would have suggested. I love the idea of an evolving campaign. The Decimus sector also promises to be a useful addition to any game, though I think I'm looking forward to the Unifying Force campaign more.

An updated lightsaber construction guide would also be nice. :)

Admiral_Atredies
22 December 2002, 10:57 AM
Well, I would like to see some PrC's, and you might be able to tie them in with other entries. Other than that, I would enjoy Alien Species and some more Secrets Of... allready existing planets.

Treefrog
22 December 2002, 11:36 AM
Definitely more Infinities stuff! Or better yet, an Infinities sourcebook!

Secrets of Csilla (Chiss).

Some rpg info for the upcoming Knights of the Old Republic PC/Xbox game.

Tales of the Jedi timeframe (info other than what's in the DSSB, and POTJS)

kenkrajen
22 December 2002, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure if ur at liberty to talk about the new martial arts rules coming up in the Heroes book, but in my campaign i've been having a lot of trouble with making rules for what my players want to do when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. Something else that'd be great, would be some ideas for an updated imperial inquistor prestige class. Thanx for listening.

FrostytheSnowDemon
22 December 2002, 01:06 PM
I noticed that you mentioned that you wanted help with adventures and the campaign. If you want anything specific just e-mail me some ideas and I'll make something of them. I think some more stats based updates would be great, like the site used to have, a small update every day or couple of days.

isd71
22 December 2002, 06:06 PM
I would like to see more info on alien races and their planets, i.e. the kel dor, they are in the rcr and their planet isn't even listed on the map in the book.

Matt Richard
22 December 2002, 09:54 PM
I would like to see a "Gamemaster's Guide to..." where you go into specific topics that gm's face (handling bad players, tips of the trade, etc.). That would be a greater resource to the gamemasters.

gremlinkin
23 December 2002, 12:44 AM
I'd love to see some more conversions from videogames. Like mabye a prestige class of wookiee berserker from star wars galactic battlegrounds. In short more droids , ships, races, and vehicles.

Evik_Blastrider
23 December 2002, 08:05 AM
I definitely want more information on this campaign. I would like to see a whole preview article just to tell us the basics. Here are some questions I would like answered about the campaign:

Q: You said that the campaign will be played at home. So is this basically in the model of an RPGA "living" campaign?

Q: If not, what makes it different from those campaigns?

Q: Have you given any thoughts to the playability of the campaign at gaming conventions?

Q: What era is the campaign set in?

Q: What are the basic rules for characters in the campaign? Classes?

Q: How will experience/advancement be handled in the campaign?

Q: Is the campaign set in a specific sector?

Q: Is there an overriding theme in the campaign?

Q: How will the modules/adventures be distributed?

Q: Who is handling quality control for the campaign?

Q: What format will the modules/adventures be in?

Q: What kind of support do you need? NPCs? Proofreading? Modules?

Q: Is there already a story arc for the campaign, or will you develop that as play progresses?

Moridin
23 December 2002, 10:19 AM
Q: You said that the campaign will be played at home. So is this basically in the model of an RPGA "living" campaign?

A: Yes, to an extent. The idea is that we release adventures in the campaign, and people then play them at home and report their results to me (or whoever I have head up Unifying Force) and then those results are compiled and analyzed to determine the future of the campaign.

Q: If not, what makes it different from those campaigns?

A: Well, for one, it will be far less strict about characters and how the adventure is run. The idea is that we see how the adventure runs its course for a variety of campaigns and allow as many people to provide input as possible. Also, this will be less strictly policed as far as continuity goes; think of it more like a community adventure path than a persistent world.

Q: Have you given any thoughts to the playability of the campaign at gaming conventions?

A: Yes, there will be events at GenCon at the very least for campaigns, and those that want to run it at others, like Winter Fantasy or Origins or even local cons are welcome to. In fact, I'd love it if that happened, so we'd work hard to help make that happen for anyone who wanted to run it. In fact, this year at GenCon we will have a "major" event determined by an adventure played there. Something like a massive land or space battle that determines whether or not a major planet falls. Anyone that wants to play can come, and we will provide ready-made characters or allow people to bring their own pending GM approval. We'll run the scenario in whichever system there is more support for, but if enough people sign up for the event and want D6 or d20, we could run it twice, once for each system.

Q: What era is the campaign set in?

A: Right now, it's down to Rebellion Era and Rise of the Empire Era. However, I'm leaning towards Rise of the Empire (specifically, the Clone Wars) to allow people to play Jedi, soldiers, and a variety of other characters.

Q: What are the basic rules for characters in the campaign? Classes?

A: The beauty of the campaign is that, since it's run by GMs in home campaigns, the characters are whatever the GM will allow. We want these adventures to be more like community storytelling than competition between players to make their character better than others or whatever, and plus it makes it more accessible to a larger number of people.

Q: How will experience/advancement be handled in the campaign?

A: As above, that is up to the GMs that run it. One problem we're going to run into is that characters won't be able to carry over from one GM to another always, but remember the point of the campaign is to be played at home, with conventions being for special events or run with pre-made characters.

Q: Is the campaign set in a specific sector?

A: Yes. The Decimus Sector will be the primary location of the campaign, so I'll need to crank out a couple of more setting articles first. However, I'd like other homebrew sectors to be involved as well, but we'll deal with that during adventure writing. Also, the adventures will probably make trips outside the sector...covert missions to Coruscant, etc.

Q: Is there an overriding theme in the campaign?

A: Not yet. That will have to wait until we start writing adventures.

Q: How will the modules/adventures be distributed?

A: Through this website (SWRPGNetwork)

Q: Who is handling quality control for the campaign?

A: I am. Adventure modules will have to be approved by me, though I assume that I will also be writing a number of them.

Q: What format will the modules/adventures be in?

A: If you mean D6/d20, then both. If you mean file types, they'll be distributed probably as text off the site and as PDF files.

Q: What kind of support do you need? NPCs? Proofreading? Modules?

A: Right now, people that can write quality modules that are compatible with both the d20 and D6 systems. This also means that teams of writers can work together to provide dual-system adventures. And, keeping in mind that this is a LONG way away, when I exhaust my own plans for the Decimus Sector I may begin looking for people to create new planets for the Sector provided they are of equal quality to those I have written. I don't mean to imply that my work is that great, but I do need consistency, and we've always had a policy of only accepting high quality work.

Q: Is there already a story arc for the campaign, or will you develop that as play progresses?

A: There will be a developing story arc that will change and be affected by the results reported back to me after adventures played at home. The design team, as I'm calling those who will be working on the campaign with me, will develop a story arc for a few adventures that will be the jumping off point for the campaign. After that, we'll begin developing story arcs based on how the home game goes.

Dr_Worm
23 December 2002, 07:08 PM
Well I droped you an email but you said we should notify you here. I am eager to help on this project in anyway I can. I know D6 and D20, am a compitent writer and editor, and have been writing adventures and campaigns for 10 years.

Talon Razor 'GM'
24 December 2002, 03:56 PM
I would love to help also, but however I am so tied up in the Underworld Sourcebook and a massive Inifinities campaign (As Elfword can testify :p) that I am going to PDF and submit. As much as I would love to help (becuase I think this is the coolest idea), I cannot. :( But I kudos to everyone that has pitched in to help! When the USB or my campaign get to a point where I am not working on them 24/7, I will help!

THis is a cool idea and I cannot wait!!B)

Talonne Hauk
24 December 2002, 05:36 PM
I would love to help somehow. I'm an excellent idea man and a fairly decent writer, but I would like a collaborator in order to design challenging encounters. Let me know if you can use my talents.

FrostytheSnowDemon
25 December 2002, 10:14 AM
I am working on a few projects right now and I would be happy to "donate" them to you guys. (an elite unit of clone troopers a lot like the Rangers, a pirate clan ,and a number of smaller diversions). I'm not the greatest at adventures but I'm quite apt at npcs.

Raithe
26 December 2002, 03:01 AM
Things to do with the Old Old Republic, aka , for ships, equipment, systems, and all the usual goodies during things like the Great Hyperspace War, the Sith War, and the rise of the Sith.
For those of us who never got to see the old WEG version for those time frames it would be quite, useful, if not downright interesting.

Lives_in_a_Hutt
30 December 2002, 12:18 PM
Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo!!!! Do more entries that can be bought (legally or illegally). Also do a d20 net guide to uglies and include your stats for ships like the Tie Advanced. I like all of your own ideas for droids (aquatic battle droid, incinerator battle droid). Please do more!!

E-mail me (lives_in_a_hutt@yahoo.com)

"A million spacebucks, tomorrow?!"

"Yesterday, Pizza the Hut(t) was found dead in his stretch limo. He apparently ate himself to death."

mojo1701
30 December 2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by kckamas:

I'd like to see more artwork, I really like having a picture to go along with the stats.

Remember, that that's up to the individual submitter. If you want a request for an illustration (and this could be applied to someone who's thinking of submitting) is set up a request on the SWAG message boards, and then see what you can find from someone who picks up your request.

gremlinkin
13 January 2003, 10:26 PM
I want stuff from Star wars Bounty Hunter weapons, droids, races. I've had to tear my group away from the game for the past two weeks so we could play.

PadawanJohn
7 February 2003, 12:41 PM
As Submissions require both D6 and D20 stats, would it possible for someone to crank out a relatively quick-and-easy way to go from D20 to D6 ( as the D6 to D20 mechanic is in the original D20 CRB )?

Dr_Worm
7 February 2003, 04:10 PM
The Rebellion Conversion Guidlines (http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/notes.html)

The above is an excellent conversion guide. Scroll down. Incidently it works just as well in both directions.

The Noghri Jedi
19 February 2003, 05:38 PM
Just something new soon would be nice. Don't get me wrong, I know you're busy with your position at AEG and with the WotC stuff you've been doing. Congrats by the way. But some new stuff to the web site would be real nice to see.

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting. Just haven't seen anything new in a while and I miss it. :(

Mr. Fett
20 February 2003, 02:16 PM
A little something on CSA would be nice. You don't see to much on CSA. Perhaps something on the Chiss. That would be useful.Generally anything new would be great.

Fett Out.

coldskier0320
21 February 2003, 05:28 AM
Fett, Tempest Feud has a little about the CSA, so if you need the info, you could check that out, other than that, yes, id like to see more aboot the CSA theyre a good alternate big enemy, instead of always screwing over the empire, it gives GMs a new direction in which to take their game

Moridin
21 February 2003, 07:40 AM
Yeah, sorry about the lack of updates guys. I've got a book deadline March 1 so it's been crunch time lately.