PDA

View Full Version : Hutts - Hermaphroditic or two genders?

Vreel Kudarin
27 December 2002, 12:42 PM
Ever since I read the brilliant Han Solo trilogy, and got some in-depth background on the organisation of Hutt society, I'd thought it really cool that Hutts were asexual, that at least one species in the galaxy hadn't miraculously evolved the old male/female breeding plan. When they decided to reproduce and whilst they were keeping their newborn in their pouch, they were considered female; otherwise they were male, and far more nasty. I was delighted to see this explored again in the excellent Essential Guide to Alien Species.

Thus alarm bells rang when in the Episode I visual dictionary it was mentioned that Gardulla the Hutt was female. I assumed that she was pregnant at the time. Recently I got the Secrets of Tatooine D20 RPG sourcebook, which I love for all the creature and Mos Eisley/Jabba's palace character profiles, and the amazing podracing rules! Unfortunately, I was rather *peeved* to say the least when it repeatedly stated how Gardulla is a female Hutt and that she was pushed to try and wed Jabba. It appears that the official line is now that Hutts use the unimaginative male/female reproduction technique. How dull and frustrating. I imagine the Alien Anthology will tow this new edict as well.

I don't get annoyed that often, so thanks for the opportunity to vent my annoyance. Anyone have an opinion on this rubbishing of Expanded Universe material? Yes yes, I know the films are sacrosanct, but frankly I prefer most of the books to Episode II's atrocious dialogue, and I feel the talents of EU authors deserve greater respect. Besides, there are already far too many male/female species and I don't see Hutts as very romantic LOL.

Rogue Janson
27 December 2002, 01:58 PM
I don't get annoyed that often
Is that some kind of sick joke?
My next RPG is going to be a Hutt romance one, so get your character ready.
(I don't mean to spike this thread, please ignore me and carry on.)

Reverend Strone
27 December 2002, 04:35 PM
This one has come up in conversation on the boards before. You guys might be interested in checking out the discussion on the subject that took place not long ago here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9594&highlight=hutts+hemaphrodites).

Enjoy!:)

Vreel Kudarin
30 December 2002, 10:29 AM
Yes, I have got my Hutt ready, Janson.

And I hope you have your Kowakian Monkey-Lizard warrior ready for my new campaign MARCH OF THE MUDMEN (OF ROON).

P.S. thanks for the link. I'm pleased to see that Hutt sexuality is such a keen area of interest for others as well : )