PDA

View Full Version : The girl's a nut...

Heretic Zero
28 December 2002, 10:06 AM
Here's a rant for you...

AotC.
Padme.

1> She has to put up with his daft practical jokes (pretending to be stomped on by a creature).
2> She hears his political views which are no less than questionable at best.
3> She has to scold him in the palace for his lack of insight concerning security, not to mention that this lass was blowing droids apart while he was barely out of daipers.
4> She's witness to his rant about howhe murdered men, women AND children on Tatooine, certainly an endearing quality.
5> The guy only has one arm left to wipe his own butt with!
6> He's schizophrenic concerning Obi Wan - one minute he's stating openly that Obi Wan's like a father to him and then goes on a rave about how he's holding him back and how he doesn't seem to care.
7> She listens on as he undermines near on everything that goes on.
8> Whilst most NORMAL Jedi are happy with monastic robes, he's goes all GQ with dark robes and leather... surely, she must realise...
9> His hair cut! For Jabba's Sake! That freaking haircut, girl!
10> He is completely incapable of keeping to his duty. He flits off around the place doing whatever he pleases and is prepared to leave her, the person he loves and is ordered to protect.

Now if I've missed anything, please let me know, but come on...
If we have any ladies in the audience, sum up all of this and admit it! This is hardly the person you would call prime choice candidate for a long lasting relationship.
And the only person that's crazier than he is, is her: nobody in their right mind would chose this lunatic to be their hubby unless they were incredibly niave or just plain thick.

Let the arguements commence... >8D

dgswensen
28 December 2002, 02:38 PM
I seem to recall reading in an interview with Natalie Portman that she considers Padme an "enabler," i.e. she wants to help Anakin and "save" him and falls in love with him precisely because he is so troubled. If Anakin had his act together, she might not find him so fascinating. But I think the subtext is that she wants to rescue him.

Not to mention that as a Senator, Padme probably lives a fairly lonely life. Who else is she going to hang out with? Jar Jar? Sio Bibble?

I'm not saying they have a storybook romance, by any means, but Anakin and Padme would not be the first pair of young lovers to hook up precisely because the deck is so obnoxiously stacked against them.

Anikka Nesson
30 December 2002, 05:52 PM
As a female i can understand how Padme falls in love with him.
Think of the thousands of women that make excuses everyday for the men who abuse them. If that can really happen, and it shoulden't, is it such a strech that Padme falls for Anakin?
The character i'm playing right now is going through a simmlar thing right now. She has had to stop her beau from killing her "brother" twice now, and after an attack on herself even the other players were shocked. She not only let him live, but she protects him from the others. they would kill him so fast....
anyway, his story is unfoldeing very like Anakin's, though he is in Exalted not Star Wars, It's hard not to understand. At least for a woman.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
31 December 2002, 01:41 AM
I posted a thread saying basically the same thing once, and although such relationships are in real life, I think it would be cool it its developed on. Perhaps Padme will go to the dark side with Anakin, and become a bad guy?

I have lost all faith in Mr. Lucas though, and would be quite surprised to see a plot twist that interesting.

darkvet
1 January 2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Heretic Zero
4> She's witness to his rant about howhe murdered men, women AND children on Tatooine, certainly an endearing quality.

This was my biggest beef with the whole Padme/Anakin fling. He rants about hating them and killing them and being happy about it, and she gets all mushy, "aaaahhh poor Annie, it's ok I understand, geonocide isn't a big deal, afterall they killed your mother."

How many stable women(or men for that matter) would feel sympathy for someone who commited such a brazen and evil act out of revenge? Especially someone who has spent all her life fighting ppls rights!

I just wish I had tried that when I was single, maybe I coulda gotten more dates in high school if I was a psychotic killer :P

Fred Getce
2 January 2003, 06:29 AM
There are women right now in our world who still stick with their man, even though he may be an abusive drunk, drug addict, child molestor, murderer, black mailer, kidnapper and they still stay with them and nurture them and love them. Leaving the rest of us to go "Huh!?".

So it is not a big step for Padme to fall in love with Anakin (and ofcourse like most women she doesn't realize until it is to late who Anakin really is. A lost cause.).

Now about the Sand people massacre. As far as Padme is concerned, Lars may be right. Perhaps they are nothing more than animals who kill indescriminately of anyone they find whether it be men, women, children who are not of their race.

I mean she has only to go on what she sees and is told.

Lars and about 30 others went looking for Shmi. The sandpeople attacked them and killed more than half of them. Men who will never see their loved one sever again. Lars is forever missing his leg and his wife has been abducted by the sandpeople for who knows what purpose (purhaps she believes they are cannibals). She didn't provoke them, they just took her to do who knows what to her. I don't think Padme would extend the hand of freindship to them for she would believe they are primitive savages who would kill her before she could uttered a word of kindness.

Even the most devote pacifists, will turn on a dime if they or there family is threatened by evil or "evil" people. It is our nature. It is our curse.

Ravager_of_worlds
3 January 2003, 07:02 AM
then again, there are also girls who look so nice but deep down, like the weird stuff. They flirt with their boyfriend's roomate, poke themselves with pins or any number of nonsensical, weird behaviors. They look like a barbie doll on the outside but inside, they're all screwed up.

as for Anakin being a 'lost cause', for all Luke's whining he did redeem Anakin. Since Luke was Anakin and Padme, in a sense, she doesn't give up.

what would be totally hilarious is if Obi-Wan started with Padme and when she's pregnant, no one knows whose kids they are. That might be a good reason for Anakin and Obi to fight. :D

Obi- Now calm down Anakin, you don't know the whole story.
Anakin- I know enough, I know you did her! [rage filled and swinging his lightsaber]
Obi- I did use a prophylactic! [dodges]
Anakin- I found it under the bed! [flings prophylactic at Obi]
Obi- Oh cripes, there's a hole! [stares at hole in prophylactic]

Rogue Janson
3 January 2003, 07:39 AM
To quote Master Yoda on the dark side, it's "quicker, more seductive".
So there you have it.

Krad-edis
3 January 2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Heretic Zero
5> The guy only has one arm left to wipe his own butt with!

Were we to believe that he used two arms when doing this before ? How odd...., and kind of scary! :)

Anyhow, my mother and sister rave about how Hayden Christiansen is a good looking young man, and how they feel sorry for him. He is a complex character, and has experiened quite a bit in the small time frame of AOTC. He has a love interest thrust back into his life after ten years, and things don't seem to be going the way he wants them to with her. He finds his mother beaten by Tuskens, and she dies in his arms. No one seems to understand him, and to top it all off, he has the uber bad guy telling him that he is the most powerful and gifted Jedi he has ever seen.

Emotional overload. The guy is young, and the forces around him are taking its toll on him, regardless of him being a Jedi. There is a tremendous battle going on inside Anakin and he is trying to find himself. Padme seems to be one of the only people who understands him, and she is lonely. She knows that he cares for her very deeply, as she does him. She finds him attractive, a good verbal sparring partner, and as her protector. She loves him, and she sees he is troubled. She wants to help him. Seems pretty simple enough to me as well.

Love is not always rational.

Jess
6 January 2003, 10:35 PM
personally i think lucas out did himself with this movie and story plot..its just the opposite of leia and hans relationship

my advice is stop complaining about it and deal, cause its not gonna change cause anyone of us disagrees...

GL knows what he is doin, and his income shows it...Agree or disagree, its fact...

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
9 January 2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Jess
my advice is stop complaining about it and deal, cause its not gonna change cause anyone of us disagrees...
But that's what the internet was created for, so people could about movies... :whine: :)

GL knows what he is doin, and his income shows it...Agree or disagree, its fact...
Financially, yes,...artistically? The jury's still out on that.

Jess
9 January 2003, 06:21 PM
well alfred...

I am sorry you all think GL does not know what he is doing, artistically...
I am sure there are many mixed opinions in here as well as other places..

I am still trying to understand how some of you think the movie stinks...
or has draw backs, I read Morindins comments on it and agree with him totally.. The more movies that come out, the more I knew I was right in saying" GL is an awesome creator and is extremely intelligent at what he does"

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
9 January 2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Jess
I am still trying to understand how some of you think the movie stinks...
or has draw backs, I read Morindins comments on it and agree with him totally.. The more movies that come out, the more I knew I was right in saying" GL is an awesome creator and is extremely intelligent at what he does"

I'm gonna try not to hijack this thread, because either it would get locked and I would get banned, or it would instantly bloom to over 3,000 pages. But many people have many problems with Episode II. Go to a movie message board, and you will be laughed out of town if you say you think that it is great. Critics were not very kind to it either: link (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/StarWarsEpisodeIIAttackoftheClones-1112314/)
As for me, let's just say tha tif I never hear Hayden Christianson's voice again, I won't complain.

Krad-edis
9 January 2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by ALFRED_THE_EWOK
But many people have many problems with Episode II. Go to a movie message board, and you will be laughed out of town if you say you think that it is great.

I liked the movie. I thought it was good, but could have been better, which is pretty much my view towards all movies. I certainly wouldn't laugh or mock anyone who did think the movie was great, because some of the scenes were pretty spectacular. Opinions will vary and all should be respected.

Originally posted by ALFRED_THE_EWOK
As for me, let's just say tha tif I never hear Hayden Christianson's voice again, I won't complain.

You are not the only one who has a problem with the guy from what I hear, but I like the way he was portrayed over Obi-wan Kenobi. How many times did the legendary Jedi Knight need to be rescued by his self righteous Padawan......(1) Speeder Chase on Coruscant, (2) Geonosis arena, (3) Anakin jumping up and delfecting Dooku's saber.......at least three times! I was a little upset with the idea of them displaying the student saving the Master over and over again. This is not a complaint about Ewan, who I think did a pretty good job, but with the story. I mean, couldn't Kenobi do anything right? End rant, end thread hijack, end off topic discussion.

If you all see things differently, and disagree with my little observation, this is fine and good. Opinions will vary, as this thread really does show. Keep the conversation going, and remember (at times I am not one to preach about this) to please keep it friendly, as it would be a shame to see this thread shut down.

Lord Kjeran
20 January 2003, 08:34 AM
And let's not forget this flash cartoon....

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=68643

;)

Tony

Ardent
24 January 2003, 10:50 PM
If women weren't inexplicably drawn to men who seem to need "fixing-up" I would never have a girlfriend. Fortunately, women love a fixer-upper and I get to throw them out when they start talking crazy like "Why don't you shave your beard?" or the dreaded "Why don't you cut your hair?"

"Scruffy scores," as my friends groaningly admit. And, let's be blunt, Anakin's as scruffy as they come. ;)

As far as the movie went...I actually thought it did a lot to explain where Padme is coming from (and the deleted scenes actually tell you a heck of a lot more), and you can sort of understand the attraction. Padme's a cultured girl with a good, solid family unit and no real problems in her life...while Anakin is the product of a single parent household living in slavery and from a cultural backwater world, but has still managed to make something of himself. That speaks volumes about potential, although we know that it's not really good potential. ;)

GL has lost a bit of his flair for writing, but it's difficult to live up to the simplistic elegance of screenplays like Episode IV and American Graffiti. I had a neighbor who was a professional screenwriter for Disney and he spent more time banging his head against his desk than I did (and I was like 9 at the time...so my head was hitting that wood pretty frequently)...writing a screenplay really isn't that easy. Writing a good one is pretty much impossible when you're in GL's position. Audiences expect perfection and GL, being human, is unable to deliver. Just the way the Wookiee stumbles, I suppose.

malphas13
10 February 2003, 07:26 AM
I think GL is an excellen "idea man", but he's lost anything he once had for directing... I think the problem is that he's too much of a Star Wars fan himself. The best Star Wars movie in my books is Empire Strikes back, a movie not directed by GL. There's alot of good directers out there, and even more who are better than GL... As for Padame, people fall in love for stupid reasons every day... :)

XavierDrgn
17 March 2003, 04:13 PM
Oh no!! its...overtaking...me! Darkside thoughts...coming through...must...contr...

the thing is...Anakin is a pretty boy! pretty boys get away with whatever they want. IMO! padme may have been hurt before by a pretty boy. or at least had her heart broken by that one senatorial friend she had the eye for.

Anakin comes along infatuated with her from 10 years of feelings and shes just supposed to jump into the Force with him(so to speak). thats why i dont think she fell for him. but then i think her mindset was...Hey. im a smart girl! heck im a senator, in charge of major decisions! i was once in charge of a whole planet!! I can change him!! and that was her undoing. you cant change what doesnt want to be changed. you can guide the person to make their own decisions but they must make them themselves!!!

Anakin is or is gong to become the badboy of the robes, its just natural that she falls for him...

1.good looking
2.babdboy(and not B2K)
3.she can change him by being with him.

MUST...break...

Thats just my opinions and hopefully...

Return to the Darkside you malicious evil thoughts.
sorry folks, the struggle with the darkside is evergoing. hopefully he didnt say anything to offend anyone?? if so im sorry.

Attoning for the DSP
Xavier D'rgn:raised:

Brishti Kildruun
15 April 2003, 06:30 AM
Okay, I'm NOT going to start any arguments here if I can help it...

First off, To get this out in the open, Padme is an over-achiever. I'm sorry, but she was lucky enough to be born on a planet that enabled her to voice her opinions and talents at an early age, but this is just NOT the case where Anakin came from, (unless you want to count scrubbing droids and scrap parts)

Also, As an over-achiever, she feels the need to fix everything around her to be perfect and pretty. Real life is not always perfect, and is not always, "Let's go in the kitchen and bake some cookies." friendly.

ALSO, it seems to me, just my opinion, that she tries to justify what Anakin did to the Tuskens, even though he ADMITTED that he was WRONG and that he was better then that, SHE tried to tell him that what he did was justified by his grief. Now, tell me, who's screwed up here?

Lastly, I'm not just saying this because I'm a girl, or because I might be jealous of Padme in any way, as love isn't just skin deep, and whether a person is or is not attractive has nothing to do with swaying my opinions towards one person's(Hayden) actions or another's(Padme), I have to agree that Padme is a nut, but only for assuming that she had any influence over things that are greater then she is (a.k.a. bringing balance to the Force), despite what she might think.

There now, I said it, it's over with, my two cents worth has been released into the friendly, clean, and free, and fresh air, and ... That's all there is to say about that.

coldskier0320
16 April 2003, 06:43 AM
I'll go on the record, agreeing with Brishti that Padme's a nut. Of course I just un-nuttified a nut of my own (breakup), so I'm a little, shall we say, subjective...oh well:o