PDA

View Full Version : help: where do U install SW font?

doters
3 January 2003, 09:34 PM
I downloaded Aurebesh though I have no idea where to unzip the 2 files to, could anyone clue me in for a windows system?

Jericho_Narcas
3 January 2003, 11:18 PM
You can unzip them anywhere, and then install them using the fonts program in control panel, or you can just unzip them directly into your c:\windows\fonts folder (I think).

MassassiC
4 January 2003, 04:41 AM
If it's Windows XP, then you put the fonts into;
c:\winnt\fonts\
Also, you can just go into the control panel, open up FONTS and then click FILE and then INSTALL NEW FONT and tell it where the font files are.

Jedi Cahlwyn
4 January 2003, 04:49 AM
There are also neat programs like Adobe Type Manager that allow you to properly add fonts.

But, the best way for you is to go to Start - Control Panel - Fonts. Then under file there is a install new font choice. Install it that way. While you can normally add fonts by dragging them to your Windows/Fonts directory, that has been known to cause system problems (though it's rare) or problems with the font it self since it wasn't "installed" properly.

Hope we helped!

MassassiC
4 January 2003, 02:04 PM
The key problem is when you have more than 1024 fonts on your system (Yes, I've reached this limit more than once in my life :) ). This tends to start creating broken fonts.
But for most end users, this shouldn't be a problem :)

doters
4 January 2003, 02:33 PM
thanks guys, I installed the ones on the Network to be used on my group's website for a lil 'flair.'

Now does anyone know a good place to get free webspace? I don't really know HTML nor am I a big fan of pop-up ads...

MassassiC
5 January 2003, 05:13 AM
Well in England, what you can do is sign-up for a "pay-as-you-go" ISP service and they tend to give anything from 10Mb to 30Mb of space without ads to play around in. I don't know if ISP's elsewhere do that, but I know over here that you have to be dialled into the ISP to be able to FTP up.
As for free providers of webspace, there's almost always going to be some sort of ad whether it be banners or <shudder>pop-ups</shudder>.

Darth Fury
27 January 2003, 08:27 PM
(Please don't include posts telling me to get rid of Windows ME. I've been using it since I bought my computer, in 2000, and have had no trouble with it.)

I've tried the above advice, but I don't have the option under file to install new fonts.

MassassiC
28 January 2003, 11:28 AM
As long as it's not the upgrade version of WinMe, it should be okay :)

Seriously though, the easiest way is to just drag the fonts into the c:\windows\fonts folder.
Also, you can double-click on My Computer (on the desktop) and double-click into Control Panel. Then double-click onto Fonts, and at the top, under File, there will be Install New Font

(On some settings, the control panel from the start menu auto-expands out the fonts without any options, which is rather stupid.)
Hope that helps

Jericho_Narcas
28 January 2003, 12:07 PM
Can't you do a clean install of the Windows ME upgrade, as long as you have your Windows 98 CD handy when setup asks you to verify that you have a previous copy of Windows? That's how my Windows 98 SE upgrade works anyway -- I just show it my Windows 95 CD (which is an upgrade itself, but setup doesn't seem to mind that) and it proceeds to install Windows 98.

Not that that has anything to do with fonts -- I figure installing them is pretty much the same for any version of Windows. I know that Windows NT (i.e. NT4, 2000, and XP) can handle more fonts than the Windows 9x versions (including ME). Might make a difference if you have a lot of them.

Korpil
28 January 2003, 12:16 PM
Also as a remark I've found that dragging the font to the windows\fonts or winnt\fonts folder AND opening the new font once it's on that folder is enough... once you open the font Windows recognizes there's a new font in the proper folder and you're done!

And yes, winnt and his siblings (2000 and xp) do not have the 1024 font-limit

MassassiC
29 January 2003, 08:39 AM
Haven't bothered checking the NT limit for fonts yet... decided I wasn't using enough of them to bother keeping them on my system :)

As for the WinMe upgrade, it actually copies around 10Mb of files from the CD, which always worried me as that's more than just verification. Basically, testing between the two versions were done at my old place of work after they were released and WinMe upgrade, whether done cleanly or not, was less stable than the full version. But the key thing is that if it works for you, don't worry about it :)