PDA

View Full Version : Few things

Odin
4 January 2003, 06:08 AM
First of all, I think SWRPGnetwork is a great site, but there are some things that I'm wondering about.

First of all, why aren't there any adventures here? Are they really nonexistant or did I somehow miss them?

Another thing is the content categories. The page always lists different categories (why cannot it list all of them) and some of those categories don't even bring up results! What's up with that?

Sorry if these questions have already been asked.. I'm kind of a newbie around here. :p

Jedi Cahlwyn
4 January 2003, 07:08 AM
Adventures! That is what is missing from SWRPGNetwork! Moridin, have you thought about having an adventure section? You guys could have some cool adventures made by you all and you can allow people to submit their own and if they pass your quality review, then they can be added. It would be an awesome feature! You could even have former designers like JD create some adventures (I doubt that current designers would be allowed to at all due to conflicts of interest with WotC).

Doh! It just hit me as to why you might not have them up. It might be against SWRPG licensing. Since SWRPG isn't in the OGL, and people can't publish adventures like they can with D&D3e, maybe you can't even have free online adventures?

Either way, it'd be cool to hear from you guys on this.

Moridin
4 January 2003, 07:10 AM
First of all, why aren't there any adventures here? Are they really nonexistant or did I somehow miss them?

One reason is that all the adventures I've written are not very good. I run my games off the cuff. The ones I have written I allowed starwars-rpg.net to host for their adventure database. Also, there will be adventures on the way shortly, for the Unifying Force campaign.

Another thing is the content categories. The page always lists different categories (why cannot it list all of them) and some of those categories don't even bring up results! What's up with that?

Well, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by listing different categories but not all of them. Can you be more specific? As for some categories not having results, that's because we created those categories in advance and have just never had an entry fall under that category.

Odin
5 January 2003, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the replies (sp?)!

Originally posted by Moridin
One reason is that all the adventures I've written are not very good. I run my games off the cuff. The ones I have written I allowed starwars-rpg.net to host for their adventure database. Also, there will be adventures on the way shortly, for the Unifying Force campaign.

Well, what about adventure submissions? SWRPGNetwork regulars (or nonregulars :p) could submit their own adventures! Just an idea.

Well, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by listing different categories but not all of them. Can you be more specific? As for some categories not having results, that's because we created those categories in advance and have just never had an entry fall under that category.

English isn't my first language, so I tend to post confusing messages.. :D

Anyway, I meant that the content page always lists different categories when you refresh the page. Why cannot it list all of them the same time?

Jedi Cahlwyn
5 January 2003, 05:55 AM
One reason is that all the adventures I've written are not very good...

Moridin, I'm sure that you are just being modest! :p If you have time in the near future, try posting one so that we can give it a try. I'd be interested to see what you've come up with.

Either way, I think an adventure section would be good. It could be sorted by Era, the SWRPG Network staff could review them, etc. It would be a great addition.

Krad-edis
5 January 2003, 06:21 AM
One thing that I noticed is that for Adventure submitting, you have to have it in both D6 and D20 formats, instead of one or the other. While it would be nice to be able to have both sets of stats, I really think that it will limit the availability of adventures. I have stuff to submit, but it is all in D6, and I really don't have time to decipher it all and put it into D20 too. It would be nice to have D20 and D6 Adventure sections so that those people who did have enough time could actually decipher the material from one format and utilize it in there game of the same format, or switch it to the other if the find the character to be interesting enough. I have put some of my work in Adventure section before (when we had one), which was in D6, and it was not as well received as I feel it would have been if it were in D20. Thats just the way things go though. It would be nice to have an Adventures section forum brought back, if at all possible.

Moridin
5 January 2003, 09:40 AM
Anyway, I meant that the content page always lists different categories when you refresh the page. Why cannot it list all of them the same time?

Ah! I see what you mean now.

The reason is because there are way, way too many categories to list them all on one page. Those three that pop up are just random previews of what to expect when you click on a link -- that way, people will have examples to see what we're talking about with a particular sorting method.

Well, what about adventure submissions? SWRPGNetwork regulars (or nonregulars ) could submit their own adventures! Just an idea.

Oh, we completely support that. It's just that no one's submitted any yet.

Moridin, I'm sure that you are just being modest! If you have time in the near future, try posting one so that we can give it a try. I'd be interested to see what you've come up with.

Oh no, trust me, they're BAD. I wrote them back in 1998, back before my old Database was even hosted on the starwars-rpg.net servers. They're bad.

One thing that I noticed is that for Adventure submitting, you have to have it in both D6 and D20 formats, instead of one or the other. While it would be nice to be able to have both sets of stats, I really think that it will limit the availability of adventures. I have stuff to submit, but it is all in D6, and I really don't have time to decipher it all and put it into D20 too.

Well, we ARE a dual-system site. Sorry. However, the good thing about the Holonet is that if you drop into the d20 forum and ask if someone can help you with conversions for a submission you'll almost always get plenty of help. It doesn't happen very often with D6 submitters; I don't know why, since d20 submitters hit the D6 forum all the time. But it works both ways, and there's always plenty of people to help.

Ravager_of_worlds
6 January 2003, 05:59 AM
Moridin is correct that d20ers can basically convert someone into d20...
For someone who doesn't have the RCR or 40 bucks to shell out, providing d20 stats when you're all d6 is pretty daunting to someone who might submit their material otherwise.

however, i've yet to find a core WEG sourcebook at my local hobbyshop and bookstore. I'm even more disinclined because everything i have is d20. I understand the WEG system is supposed to simpler, but without a d6 rulebook, i hesitate to make any conversions myself.

And having adventures handy... hm... that's a tough call. Most adventures I've run are specific to individual characters that something gets lost when it expands to be more generic. The best adventures are those designed specifically for individual groups.

Dr_Worm
6 January 2003, 08:45 AM
One thing that I suggested a bit ago to Armage was a forum that worked kind of like SWAG but for conversions. Someone would post some stats and ask that they be converted to a specific system, then someone would relpy telling the person that they would convert it for them and the resulting conversion would then be posted or emailed. I think having a single place ot go for all conversion requests would be helpfull, and it would save those of us who want to help people from having to look all over for reqests.