PDA

View Full Version : Starwars-rpg.net down?

scottyboy
4 January 2003, 02:50 PM
Hey I was just wondering if there was something wrong with starwars-rpg.net or if it's just this worthless work computer that I have!!! Every time I try to visit, I get that infamous "Cannot display page" message that we've all grown to love so much throughout our computer use careers!!! All of the hosted sites are doing the same thing. Well, I just wanted to see what was going on. Hope everything is alrighty!

Dan Kyrinov
4 January 2003, 03:49 PM
Huh, and here I was thinking I was crazy or on a bad computer. I have the same problem, trying to get onto DLOS.

Nova Spice
4 January 2003, 04:02 PM
I also am having difficulty signing on to SWAG, so I suppose the entire starwars-rpg.net must be down. Oh well, it'll be up soon I imagine. B)

Chris Curtis
4 January 2003, 05:33 PM
Yes, there are obviously some problems going on right now. I'm actually not having any trouble getting to the domain myself, but I know Evan can't get to it.

Short explanation about the situation:

Sometime yesterday or the night before, it seems that a link was posted on MetaFilter (Slashdot's younger, smaller cousin). The link pointed to a video file that one of the Hosted sites had on the server and linked on their site. Unfortunately, this wasn't a small video file. It was 48 MB.

So, needless to say, huge numbers of people all trying to download a 48 MB file in a short span of time can bring a server to its knees. It seems the Host noticed what was going on, but they thought someone was trying to crash the server via a DOS type attack. The Host said they were taking the site offline until things were resolved.

However, it seems to be very haphazard since some people can access the site (me) and others can't. Anyway, hopefully we'll hear back from the Host soon...

Reverend Strone
4 January 2003, 05:42 PM
I'm getting intermittent problems too these past few days. Usually I'm denied access to any SWRPG.net site, but occassionally through perseverance I've been able to get on to SWAG. However I am unable to login (thus can't post on the forums) and have great difficulty loading pages- usually necessitating several tries.

i look forward to the place getting up and running again- Beginning to develop withdrawl twitches.

Shadowdeep
5 January 2003, 04:34 AM
*twitch*

And here I thought *I* was the only one with that particular symptom...

;D

*twitch* *twitch*

Like Rev, over the past few days I too have had intermittent access (at best) and glacially slow load times when I can get in. Haven't tried the forums.

*sigh*

Chris Curtis
5 January 2003, 08:14 AM
Well, on the SWAG front, I can give you more reason to feel withdrawal: I posted 20 new submissions yesterday. They're all just waiting there to be drooled over... :D

On the general front, I haven't heard any new news. So, I guess we all just sit and wait.

evan hansen
5 January 2003, 08:55 AM
Hey all --

I sent an email late last night to our host to try to get him to turn things back on since, based on past conversations with him, it's kind of been indicated that that file Chris mentioned was the only real problem. Ironically, because he turned the site off, we can't really get access to the file -- so we can't move it or delete it. Anyhow, he has yet to respond. Hopefully he's not on a strict M-F, 9-5 schedule and he'll reply soon.

I had hopes that, because Chris could access the site, the access problems I was having weren't widespread. Unfortunately, I guess that's not the case.

Needless to say, this is frustrating. I suppose, for once, I can't entirely blame the host, as someone on our server *was* being abusive in terms of hosting files. Tim, Chris, and I have been talking about ways to remedy these sorts of problems and, after we hear back from our host, we'll be changing some things around to ensure this sort of thing stops happening.

I'm sorry to all for the inconvenience. It's a sad thing when one person -- indeed, one file -- can cause this much trouble. But hopefully we'll get this worked out soon and get rid of the offending file and such. And based on what Chris said in his last post, it should be well worth the wait. :D

Reverend Strone
5 January 2003, 01:24 PM
Evan, Chris, we love you guys.

Thanks a bunch.B)

(Twitch, twitch)

scottyboy
5 January 2003, 02:39 PM
I hav-v-v-ve t-to s-second the g-good Reverand-d's comments-s-s. We d-do l-love you guys-s. B-but we've g-g-g-g-g-gotta do something-g-g about this-s-s-s! My twitching-g-g is g-g-get-t-ting a lit-t-t-tle out-t-t of control-l-l-l...

evan hansen
5 January 2003, 03:45 PM
The site should be back up for most folks -- likely just on a temporary basis. I have to be vague, but I should say that we'll be making significant changes very soon. So if the site goes up and down a couple times in the near future, know in advance the reason is that we'll be working on making it more stable in the long-term.

Anyhow, if the site doesn't load for you just yet, expect that it will soon. It's probably just DNS propogation time.

evan hansen
5 January 2003, 03:46 PM
Oh, and btw, I love you all too. :D

Wedge in Red2
7 January 2003, 02:37 AM
Hi,

Yeah, I couldn't log on to Starwars-rpg.net a couple of days ago. And then yesterday I could (and downloaded the Online Journal, which I haven't had a chance to look at yet, unfortunately...). And now today I can't again :(.

Just thought I'd let you know...I know you guys will be doing your best to deal with it, but if I don't tell you then you might not know there are still problems :?.

Oh, and I love you too :). (starts to sing) "You are the sunshine of my life...."

Jon :D

Nafai
7 January 2003, 04:20 AM
Wedge (and others), please note that there will continue to be problems until you see a post from the webmasters letting you know that everything is resolved.

evan hansen
8 January 2003, 01:18 PM
Quick update:

We have a new host, and I'm in the process of uploading our backups and setting up FTP accounts and mail accounts. The site's pretty huge, so this may take all night. :)

Expect the site to be live again within a couple days. Unfortunately, having to work is kind of getting in the way of having time to really do this quickly. But I promise that things will be back up soon -- and as quickly as I can manage.

Thanks for your patience, folks!

Wedge in Red2
11 January 2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by evan hansen
Expect the site to be live again within a couple days. Unfortunately, having to work is kind of getting in the way of having time to really do this quickly. But I promise that things will be back up soon -- and as quickly as I can manage.

Thanks for your patience, folks!

Cool. Thanks evan, and you too Nafai, we appreciate your dedication. I will be patient :). And I understand, that darn 'Real Life' thing can get in the way of roleplaying commitments ;).

Jon

evan hansen
25 January 2003, 06:26 AM
Attention everyone!

starwars-rpg.net will be down for a short while on Sunday (1/26) while our new host performs some upgrades to their equipment. Hopefully, this will translate into faster loading times and more bandwidth for us and all of the community members who use our site or the hosted sites.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.