PDA

View Full Version : Antilles discrepancy

coldskier0320
8 January 2003, 04:23 PM
In SW4 ANH, C3PO says to Luke that his previous owner was captain Antilles, presumably of the Tantive IV. Then we have Wedge, who needs no introduction. Are they the same person or even related?

Durian Keldrona
8 January 2003, 05:25 PM
Antilles is like the name smith

Vanger Chevane
8 January 2003, 05:26 PM
several times in the novels that the two are no relation whatsoever (or an extremely distant one IMHO).

I think Lucas' Continuity Cops somehow missed the connection when someone decided Wedge's last name should be Antilles, or they had hoped there would be a relationship & it was denied, but a name change was never enforced.

Nova Spice
8 January 2003, 05:48 PM
Actually when C-3PO mentions that he was the property of Captain Antilles, he is referring to the Rebel captain that Vader choked to death on the Tantive IV.

Aside from that, Antilles is a rather common name. There are three characters from the films that share that name:

-Bail Antilles (Episode I); Senator from Alderaan nominated for Chancellor
-Colton Antilles (Episode IV); captain of the Tantive IV
-Wedge Antilles (Episode IV-VI); leader of Rogue Squadron

Codym
8 January 2003, 06:29 PM
It has been established on the offical site that Bail Antillies is the SW equivolent of John Smith.

Also, I think Antillies was a last minute change when the original Bail Organa actor, Adrian Dunbar, was cut out of Episode I. You never know, this could be an intentional injoke for the fans, much like the extremely quick sliding doors in the Naboo palace.

Reverend Strone
8 January 2003, 08:02 PM
A while back was curious about the very same thing. Here's a link (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10127&highlight=antilles+clan) to that Thread. There were some very helpful replies. Good luck.

:)

Kyndig_Episte
20 March 2003, 07:00 PM
i think the novels or comics pointed it out that the two anillies were acutally different peoples i think it was the rogue squadren books or comics. it has been i while since i read them so i am not sure where it is actually said.

Durian Keldrona
20 March 2003, 07:16 PM
this has been covered in the jedi council on starwars.com and they said the name was like smith in our world.

coldskier0320
21 March 2003, 04:13 AM
I believe someone already said that...

Antilles is like the name smith

Hey! It was you!!!

S'ok man, thanks for the double coverage;)

Durian Keldrona
21 March 2003, 09:22 AM
people didnt seem to get it so I thought I would reinforce it :)

Jahr the Tusken
8 April 2003, 11:09 AM
Is Bail Antilles is Episode I the same guy as Bail Organa of Alderaan: Leia's adopted father? Maybe I'm getting the names confused.

Reverend Strone
8 April 2003, 12:08 PM
For many of the answers you seek, click here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10127&highlight=antilles+clan). I had similar questions a while back.:)