PDA

View Full Version : The Rishi Maze

Evik_Blastrider
8 January 2003, 07:06 PM
[Here is a little something I created for my Star Wars campaign. It is based on specualtion about the nature of the Rishi Maze and the other, similar object seen in the Jedi Library computer display in Episode II (I know that there is also a planet named Rishi from EU and I am not referring to it). I have named the other object seen the "Granita Cluster".]

South of the galactic plane directly below the Shander’Nor Sector lies the Granita Cluster. This large star cluster is diametrically opposed to the Rishi Maze and serves the same roles as galactic companion system and gravitational shepherd. It has been relatively inaccessible to the galaxy until recently.

Trips to the Granita Cluster had always been considered “extragalactic” voyages. Indeed, astronomers often refer to the cluster as a dwarf galaxy. It has its own rotation opposite the galaxy’s and orbits the galaxy in retrograde. The gravitational forces from Granita and Rishi have a flattening effect on the galactic disk.

As a result, direct hyperspace journeys were impossible. After leaving the galaxy, vessels had to drop out of hyperspace and cruise at sublight speeds for months in order to negate the rotational energy differential. The hyperspace journey into the cluster was necessarily slow due to the lack of navigational information. Only specialized ships had the fuel capacity and reliability for such long trips. Long-range scouts surveyed the cluster in the early years of the Republic, but few vessels have made the journey since.

Recent advances in hyperspace theory have opened a path to the cluster. A neutron star with the right rotational energy and position was discovered that could compensate for the differential. By using a specially designed momentum regulator, ships can now make hyperspace jumps from the vicinity of the neutron star directly into the Granita Cluster. A round trip journey that used to take a year or more has been reduced to a few weeks! The star, which previously had an alphanumeric designation, has been renamed Gateway. Scientists theorize that it should create a stable jump point for about 500 years.

Momentum regulators are licensed. At first, only scouts and government officials were granted licenses. Recently, the policy was changed to allow more citizens to purchase a license. Several groups have already departed to colonize the new systems discovered in the cluster.

[GM Information: This write up could apply to the Rishi Maze just as easily (of course you can rename the Granita Cluster for your game too). The Intergalactic Banking Clan has been doing business in both the Rishi Maze and the Granita Cluster for centuries - it is why they call themselves intergalactic. They have kept this fact a trade secret that is now being threatened by the new technology.]

Reverend Strone
8 January 2003, 07:58 PM
Pretty cool. Nice work there Evik, and thanks for sharing it with us.

:)

Bombaatu
9 January 2003, 06:29 AM
Very nice. My next session is going to be Act I of 'Tempest Feud', and I think I'll use something similar to explain the region of space the Hutts found a way thru.

Korpil
9 January 2003, 07:51 AM
Very cool!!!! Couple that with records of previous travelers about a big city built of gold (or other large treasure) and you got yourself a campaign! YOu can put inside the Cluster whatever you want!

Evik_Blastrider
9 January 2003, 09:37 AM
Very cool!!!! Couple that with records of previous travelers about a big city built of gold (or other large treasure) and you got yourself a campaign! YOu can put inside the Cluster whatever you want!

That was exactly my idea! Open up a new area of exploration and all that. Somehow the idea that half the galaxy is fully explored but the backside is one big "Unkown Region" never set right with me.

Another idea for your campaign is to put the neutron star used as a jump point in the hands of one government. All the other governments want access and rankle at the need to go through the controlling authority. And if this leads to war, an armed force could take control of space around the star preventing access.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
9 January 2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Evik_Blastrider
(I know that there is also a planet named Rishi from EU and I am not referring to it)

You don't even have to worry about this point Evik as the EU planet you are referring to is Rishii and not Rishi.

Evik_Blastrider
9 January 2003, 11:19 AM
I have seen sources that say the planet is spelled the same as the maze. But they could certainly be the one's mistaken. Both appear to be derived from the same Hindi word, leaving the English spelling open to interpretation.

Another thought: While scientists have been able to make the hyperspace jump to these companion galaxies possible, there is currently no mean of communications. And when you are in either of these locations, there is no established holonet to re-broadcast transmissions. The native species of these systems may have developed a similar network that the characters can discover and learn how to access at some point.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
9 January 2003, 11:32 AM
I decided to do a little more research into this question so I cross checked all of the other references to the planet Rishi (the Alien Anthology, the Thrawn Trilogy SB, & the Dark Force Rising novel) along with the spelling of the Rishi Maze from the AotC novel and have come to the conclusion that the Alien Anthology (along with myself) is the one in error.

Jedi Cahlwyn
9 January 2003, 04:44 PM
A very interesting post. If you flesh it out more, please post it here. Your ideas are something that I'd be interested in reading more about. Good job!

Wedge in Red2
11 January 2003, 08:13 PM
Interesting idea! I like your use of "Star Wars Physics" -

It has its own rotation opposite the galaxy’s and orbits the galaxy in retrograde. The gravitational forces from Granita and Rishi have a flattening effect on the galactic disk.

After leaving the galaxy, vessels had to drop out of hyperspace and cruise at sublight speeds for months in order to negate the rotational energy differential.

Now, my physics knowledge is pretty limited, but in terms of "real life" physics it sounds unbelievable - but this is Star Wars, and as long as you can string some big words together it'll work :D. I could see those words in gold lettering scrolling through space...

Good stuff!

Jon :)

Evik_Blastrider
12 January 2003, 04:18 AM
Real life physics is far stranger than what scifi writers can dream up. I did, in fact, base my idea on a real occurance in our solar system. Saturn has two small moons that orbit inside its rings (where the visible gaps are). The gravity of these moons pull on the small, icy rocks that make up the rings. Each pulls from a different side of the rings. The overall effect is that the rings are maintained in their very flat wide shape. The rings of Saturn could not be as large and majestic without these "shepherd" moons.

Of course, I took a lot of liberties extrapolating this effect to the behavior of galaxies. And I added the stuff about retrograde spin so I could create a believable barrier to hyperspace travel.

But the galaxies seen in AotC in the library scene are based on the real world too. There are really several galaxies flying in close formation that we have seen with powerful telescopes.

Admiral_Atredies
12 January 2003, 02:04 PM
Really neat! This could be a whole new campaign idea in the making. I don't play the NJO Era, but maybee you could use this in an idea:

The Rishi maze could have been like a steping stone for the Vong, and they have been there for as much as a century, building up forces for the invasion. It could be a huge territory, and local alien races are fightingof their own Vong invasion. The characters could be sent into the Rishi maze to find more information on one of the Vong's hug base worlds in the area. They could encounter new alien species and technology all along the way.

Wedge in Red2
12 January 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Evik_Blastrider
Real life physics is far stranger than what scifi writers can dream up. I did, in fact, base my idea on a real occurance in our solar system.

8o Holy cow! Neat! I had no idea about any of that stuff, shows what cool stuff you can find out! I mean, Lucas based a lot of his SW ideas on real life stuff anyway, it makes sense to look for real life inspiration for game ideas! I know Reverend Strone bases his Tatooine adventures on westerns...

Great stuff :D!

Jon

Evik_Blastrider
15 January 2003, 07:25 AM
There was a recent article in Star Wars Insider by Dan Wallace, the chief cartographer for the galaxy. I emailed him my ideas on this subject (with my full permission to use them) and here is his reply:

Hey Scott [my real name], thanks for the info. I've recently been privy to some info on DK's upcoming book "Inside the Worlds of Episode II" and some of your ideas appear to have already been carried out by that book's authors (not the mirror galaxy on the other side (yet), but some of the other stuff). Keep an eye out for it.

So I guess great minds think alike! I am now very interested in what the book will reveal about the Rishi Maze.