PDA

View Full Version : Rave: I'm never buying another TV again!

Master Dao Rin
9 January 2003, 10:08 PM
Cripes.

I just bought a new computer system - 3.06 GHz dual processors, 120 Gigs, 1 Gig 9700 Pro video card, true flat screen monitor, 100 watts total sound power, etc., etc.,

Basically, I spent $5000 (incl. taxes) on this system, and I'll tell ya ...

Its bloody worth it! :D

I will never buy another frickin' lousy TV again.

I'll never shoot film again when I make movies.

Ol' George is right. Forget film ... DV is the way to go.

Naturally, the first thing I did after Windows XP grabbed 10 gigs of space for its little "setup" is pop in my AotC DVD.

I can READ THE BLASTED SIGNS IN THE FAR BACKGROUND of the Coruscant night chase scene!!! (Yes, I'm talking aurabesh, and Yes, I'm a true Star Wars geek). :p

Everything was crystal clear, and in focus and right there in your face if you just looked at it. I can see little ticks and facial quirks on Yoda, and the other live characters too without trying. Watch the genosian arena seen when they pan over the crowds is a whole new experience as each one is doing something different!

Do yourselves a favour on your next computer purchase - get a nice big HD monitor, the best video card, the fastest DVD-ROM, great speakers - the works. Its well worth the entertainment investment for a couple of K in greenbacks if you call yourself a Star Wars fan.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
9 January 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Master Dao Rin

Do yourselves a favour on your next computer purchase - get a nice big HD monitor, the best video card, the fastest DVD-ROM, great speakers - the works. Its well worth the entertainment investment for a couple of K in greenbacks if you call yourself a Star Wars fan.

What about us Star Wars fans without jobs?

dgswensen
10 January 2003, 06:14 AM
I am a Star Wars fan, but I'm quite OK with not being $5,000 worth of Star Wars fan.

To date, I've never even spent that much on a car, much less a computer setup.

That sounds like a very impressive setup, but for someone like me, that is using a sledgehammer to swat a fly. I don't think anyone needs that much horsepower for recreational purposes, especially not at that price.

But I'm happy that you're so happy with your setup! I'd like to see the details you describe.

Korpil
10 January 2003, 06:58 AM
Just one question and what's been keeping me from making my computer the ultimate entertainment center....

What kind of audio card do you have? Does it translate 5.1 and DTS sound that could be sent digitally to a Home Theater?

Master Dao Rin
12 January 2003, 07:27 PM
Thats Canadian dollars, btw. Half that cost was just for the dual processors ... (mummy!)

My sound card = SB Audigy A900 - yes its 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound.

One word: Beautiful.

This computer is actually for my film production company, but since I'm the boss I can use it. :)

Hey - who needs cars? Take a bus to work!!! ;)

The way computers are going now, you shouldn't need a dvd player, any kind of music theatre set-up for CDs, or even a TV. A computer can do it all for you now, and what you spend on a good set of speakers and CD changer should cover part of the expense. My speakers only cost me $100 dollars of that total, for a 100 watts of pure aural cinematic fun.

And you can still play games with the thing - you can't do that on a CD player! :D

Ah, whatever! I just love it!