PDA

View Full Version : What determines Rank?

Odde Bogodde
14 January 2003, 06:29 AM
Everyone has a rank here on the Holonet....I was wondering...what determines it? is it how long you have been a member? the number of posts? your rating? :?

Jedi_Staailis
14 January 2003, 06:44 AM
A combination of those things, in all probability. The time you've been a member seems to play a very large role in the equation, but the exact specifics are a Holonet secret, and the admins aren't telling.

Here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=9061) is a thread which revolves around the question of the profile stats.

XavierDrgn
29 January 2003, 06:08 AM
my question RE:Rank is this...what does the increased rank do for you? i see some of the higher ranked people are room mods or thread readers. but is that it?:?

i also noticed that on the roleplaying threads your lvl in the campaign depends on your posts. just trying to learn the rules wherever i can.

Xavier D'rgn

Wedge in Red2
29 January 2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by XavierDrgn
my question RE:Rank is this...what does the increased rank do for you?

The short answer is "not a lot" :D. The ranks and badges are generally just for show - they don't mean much other than to give you an idea of how long someone's been around here, how frequently they post, that sort of thing. In terms of ability to interact with the website, they don't mean much (except that once you reach 200 posts you get to customise your title - see how mine says Rogue Squadron Starfighter Ace?).

i see some of the higher ranked people are room mods or thread readers. but is that it?:?

When you become a Moderator, you get a bit of a rank increase. However, to be in a position to become a moderator, you need to really have been around a while and come here frequently - hence they already have a pretty high rank.

I do know that to become a Mod you pretty much get appointed by the webmasters, and that being a Mod gives you some additional powers - the ability to edit other peoples posts, access special boards, that sort of thing.

i also noticed that on the roleplaying threads your lvl in the campaign depends on your posts.

Um, sorry, I can't really help you out on this one. I don't tend to use the roleplaying threads.

Jon

XavierDrgn
29 January 2003, 05:54 PM
Many thanx Wedge. makes more sense now.

Xavier D'rgn

Pel
9 February 2003, 10:05 PM
Imperial, Rebel, or Fringe ranks? Bah.

Let's return to the old ranking system which included:

Rancor Keeper
Gamorrean Guard
Twi'lek Majordomo
Chained Princess

Makes for much more interesting conversation than Boarding Party Leader, Captain, or Squadron Leader :p

Rogue Janson
10 February 2003, 03:17 AM
So did you progress sequentially in those ranks?

ie. "My promotion's come through! I've been upgraded from Gamorrean guard to Chained Princess!"

Talonne Hauk
10 February 2003, 06:44 AM
I think rank is likely determined by the Admins and Mods. My rank hasn't changed in a looooong time, and although I don't post all the time, I am consistent. I think if I posted good, helpful posts more often, I'd make more of a name for myself, and my rank would increase. As it is, I kind of feel that they're useless, as users don't (and likely won't) know what goes into them. After a person is used to seeing them, they aren't all that interesting. Now, if they could insert some Yuuzhan Vong rankings, that would be kind of cool.

Redeemed Jedi
10 February 2003, 09:00 AM
as cool as Vong rankings would be i still think we are long over due for some Jedi rankings!!!

Vanger Chevane
10 February 2003, 03:40 PM
IMHO it'd be difficult to produce either Jedi or YV Rank Icons, as neither group has any Rank Insignia per se.

Also, what titles to you assign to each level? AFAIK Jedi have rankings of Initiate, Padawan, Knight, Master, and Grand Master. This board has more than 5 rank levels, (IIRC somewhere tween 6 and 10) and each current system (Imp, Rebel/NR, & Pirate) each contain the same # of levels.

Does some admin just invent a few extra apocryphal titles, or change the scoring for the new Rank System? Also if they add Jedi Rankings, they'd probably have to add Sith Rankings to keep the Darksiders happy.

Rogue Janson
12 February 2003, 01:09 PM
Interesting speculation: since Armage just disabled the rating system, with the likelihood it'll be scrapped or radically changed, I think we can take it that your rating isn't factored into your rank.

Vanger Chevane
12 February 2003, 02:27 PM
Thr Rank etc. is ajusted by those with Moderator, Webmaster, or Webmaster status, or it may be based on your total number of posts.

The Rankings were user-accesible, but abuses, low use, and available Admin time to keep the sytem running killed it.

I've had the same rank for quite some time now, but have watched my Level jump significantly in one day when I made some very useful posts, at least in the opininion of someone who has access to adjust it.

Talon Razor 'GM'
12 February 2003, 02:39 PM
It can't be Mod adjusted. Think of the hundreds of people who use the Holonet. That is a HUGE amount for them to wade through....

It is probably based on a formula...

Grimace
12 February 2003, 05:28 PM
Moderators do not adjust ranks. We may be on here a lot, but as Talon Razor pointed out, it would be a nightmare to try to vary people's ranks based on the quality of their posts.

As was pointed out, ratings had no bearing on rank either.

So, back to more speculation for some of you. ;)

Rogue Janson
15 February 2003, 12:23 PM
Ok, here's a minor point. At the moment I'm keeping my eye on my profile compared to that of Group Captain Jim Williams.
I've been a member longer than Jim, but he achieved Wing Commander a while before me by posting more. However since my posting rate has gone up considerably and I'm probably going to catch him up fairly soon (and he was a group captain at around 600 posts).

I strongly suspect that despite having a) a longer membership and b) more posts than him I still won't be promoted, because I think there's a fixed minimum interval between promotions.

There we are, a very dull point, but at least we can verify whether or not it's true.

Vanger Chevane
17 February 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson
Ok, here's a minor point. At the moment I'm keeping my eye on my profile compared to that of Group Captain Jim Williams.
I've been a member longer than Jim, but he achieved Wing Commander a while before me by posting more. However since my posting rate has gone up considerably and I'm probably going to catch him up fairly soon (and he was a group captain at around 600 posts).

I strongly suspect that despite having a) a longer membership and b) more posts than him I still won't be promoted, because I think there's a fixed minimum interval between promotions.

There we are, a very dull point, but at least we can verify whether or not it's true.

Admin for another site mentioned VBulletin as having a built-in levels associated to post count. This seems to be tied to the levels in one's profile. In the past 2 weeks, I've been posting quite a bit, and have watched my levels go up as well. IMHO Level has to be tied either to the quantity or some perception of quality of the posts I've recently made. Personally I'd prefer to think Quality but can't be certain. :D

I just got promoted to Squadron Leader in the past 24 hours, and decided to compare my profile to Wedge in Red2's and Great Horned Dragon's. Level & post-wise, I'm roughly right between the two, but Wedge in Red2 has held the rank a lot longer than I, and Great Horned Dragon has a Level and post-count where I was a Flight Lieutenant. Therefore the Ranking system has to be figured differently than Level.

Also, one of my "peer comparisons" registered bout 2.5 months earlier than I, the other about 1.5 years earlier. If there is a set delay before one becomes "Promotable", it seems to be based on "time in grade" rather than "time in service."

Tossk
17 February 2003, 05:41 PM
I think that there's a set rank level for how long you've been here, and then p.p.d. factors in and ddetermines rank along with level. Which is determined by # of posts. Atleast that's what i've concluded.B)

Talonne Hauk
17 February 2003, 06:10 PM
<Struts around, showing off new rank.>

I think if you contribute to this thread, it has an impact on your rank!:D

Trandoshan Jedi
12 March 2003, 12:07 PM
:rolleyes:

Whats the big deal about ranks anyways?

Darth_Cassed
12 March 2003, 02:44 PM
This topic was somewhat discussed a while ago here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=8516). Not much was said, but yea, whatever helps!!

Tossk
12 March 2003, 03:09 PM
Because It's NEAT-OOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :leia:

Rogue Janson
12 March 2003, 04:19 PM
Because you get to pull rank on people of lower rank than yourself.
Stand to attention when I'm talking to you Flight Officer Trandoshan Jedi!
Now go and clean out the Bantha stables.

(edited to correct rank. I kept reminding myself and still got it wrong.)

Tossk
12 March 2003, 05:01 PM
Hey-o, wing commander guy! he's a flight officer, 4|\|d 1 41|\|'7 g07 70 p4y |\|0 4773|\|710|\| 70 j00! 1'/\/\ 4 <4r3-fr33 p1r473! w00t! :D :hansolo:

bountyhntr
12 March 2003, 05:25 PM
Tossk, what is all the crap at the bottom of all your posts.

The only thing I am worried about, in regards to rank, is losing this bblasted neewbie thing.

Tossk
13 March 2003, 02:43 AM
What? the letters, numbers, and misc. characters? those compose a way to type called leet speek, and i've been asked to keep it to a bare-minimum from now on because it's kinda baffling to others.:rolleyes: And on that newbie thing, keep active and posting. It'll fix it in a heartbeat!

coldskier0320
13 March 2003, 03:06 AM
Hey-o, wing commander guy! he's a flight officer, 4|\|d 1 41|\|'7 g07 70 p4y |\|0 4773|\|710|\| 70 j00! 1'/\/\ 4 <4r3-fr33 p1r473! w00t!

LMAO! Tossk, thats great! But waitaminute...does that mean i hafta take crap from you?! Oh no...:D

Tossk
13 March 2003, 06:04 PM
No, I can take care of my own, but you can spit-shine the protocol droid! ;) :D :rolleyes: I'm just joking, you know that Grimace, right? ;)