PDA

View Full Version : Making a sw fan comic and having no idea about what to do with it

Intrepid Cuqui Worm
16 January 2003, 08:42 AM
Hello, i am making a small free comic placed in the star wars universe (rebellion era). I was thinking about placing it somewhere in the web, but i do not have any idea about it, help me please!
(well, i can place it in my personal site, but it does not seem very apropiate).
Thanks.

Intrepid Cuqui Worm
16 January 2003, 09:31 AM
I will post the idea of the comic, say me 'i have/have not seen this before', 'it is/isn't original', 'your english is really bad', etc...

The action takes place some weeks after the Yavin's Battle. In the Sector ruled by the Moff Orpal notices of the Senate disolution and the victory of the Rebellion (the destruction of the Death Star) have put people in action. The planets of the sector are not ruled by Empire governors, but they are under the Empire sovereign. Empire fanatics and Pro-Republic claims changes in the streets (typical scenario).
Moff Orpal has called embassadors to talk about the situation.
The central planet of the story is Nicloo, the main characters are a veteran Nicloo soldier, a sarcastic female rebellion pilot with her strange and modified X-Wing and a supossed force-user twilek children, the three guys try to discover why Orpal tries to catch Nicloo King and da-da-da, and it is enough, i want to maintain in secret some aspects of the history.

scottyboy
16 January 2003, 09:32 AM
Well, I have an idea for you. Submit it to the Online Journal! That would be the perfect idea, if you ask me! How about it? If you want to do that or you want any further information, please feel free to either PM me or e-mail me!

Jaggard
16 January 2003, 09:34 AM
don't know if they even still update at all but the site theforce.net has a fan comic section.
http://www.theforce.net/fancomics/
if they do update most of their comics have fallen silent but it's still fun to read the archives especially Episode two and Jawa Force. Both are well done fan stories.

Corr Terek
16 January 2003, 01:30 PM
This is slightly off subject, but I too was hoping to translate some of my fan fiction into comic-book form. Anybody have suggestions for an artist who'd be willing to work with me?

At any rate, I'd follow up Jaggard's suggestion and check out the force.net. Of course, posting it in the Online Journal is always a good idea.

MassassiC
17 January 2003, 04:15 AM
You could always register your own domain. I did mine (with hosting) via http://www.supanames.co.uk for UK13.99/year (US$20/year). You have to register and pay in two-year blocks though due to the way England does it's domain rules, but it's cheap and basic with FTP and 35Mb (which can be upgraded).
Hope that's of some use to you.

Intrepid Cuqui Worm
17 January 2003, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the quick responses, i will check TheForce.net, although the OnlineJournal could be another great idea (i am a swag artist).

BRodgers
17 January 2003, 11:03 AM
An ongoing fan comic is definitely something I would be interested in seeing in the Online Journal Cuqui .

If you decide to go this route, e-mail me and we can discuss the best way to present it and clear up issues like frequency, resolution and things like that.

NarCranor
3 February 2006, 10:51 AM
Well, doing it on your own is probably one of the best things you can do. Its a bit more work, but we have recently done it and are having great success. We have http://www.fandom.swnsu.com which currently has one fan comic (11 pages up) and four more fan comics in production. There are also a lot of supplemental materials there.

Also, our main artist, Steve Criado, is formerly a SWAG artist himself (scriado). So yeah, self publishing can work out really well.

As for the gentleman looking for an artist to convert his fan fics to comic form...Its hard. You really have to hit up deviant art and the TFN fan art museum and start sending out emails until you get a positive response. I have probably contacted upwards of 200 artists via email and PM/IM stalking before getting the five talented guys we currently have. And things that work as short fiction don't always work as comics, and vice versa.

anyway, best of luck to you and your comic. Also, Id be curious to see some of your art samples, maybe we can get you to do a small project for fandom comics if you are talented (not all the SWAG guys were, but most were). Anyway, itd probably help raise your profile for your own comic, we did 176,000 hits in january alone.

BRodgers
3 February 2006, 01:04 PM
if you are talented (not all the SWAG guys were, but most were).

Wow, what a hurtful and completely rude thing to say.

Considering that "talent and ability" tends to be viewed as subjective, I hardly think it's your place to determine who has talent and who doesn't.

The artists in SWAG worked their tail ends off for the entire community for years, and it's exactly these kinds of comments that led the current SWAG admins to close up shop and lose interest in maintaining that site.

You insult all artists of SWAG with your comments, including your own artist Scriado. In the future perhaps you can keep your opinions about other SWAG artists and holonet members to yourself, or judge your words more carefully.

NarCranor
3 February 2006, 01:13 PM
My apologies, skilled is a much more appropriate word. However, I think it is a bit much to say comments like that shut the site down. I didn't mean to offend.

BRodgers
3 February 2006, 01:20 PM
It's cool...I just know that a lot of the old SWAG artists still visit the holonet...but I appreciate the apology NarCranor . Thanks.

Darklighter
5 February 2006, 07:06 AM
Hi guys. This thread is over three years old, and the originator hasn't posted on the Holonet since July 2, 2006. I think we can safely let this one slide back into obscurity, along with any exchanges anyone might regret.

All the best to my fellow upstanding Holonet members,

Darklighter,
Fan Fiction Moderator.

Lucas Carr
5 February 2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Darklighter
Hi guys. This thread is over three years old, and the originator hasn't posted on the Holonet since July 2, 2006. I think we can safely let this one slide back into obscurity, along with any exchanges anyone might regret.

All the best to my fellow upstanding Holonet members,

Darklighter,
Fan Fiction Moderator.

And I'm sure that July 2, 2006 reference was just a typo and not an obvious display of Jedi Powers. ;)

Darklighter
5 February 2006, 04:16 PM
Jedi? Their religion is all but gone from the galaxy.

We'll call it a typo ... for now. ;)