PDA

View Full Version : Dumbing Down?

Puck
18 January 2003, 04:55 PM
Following the news on the cancellation of Farscape (don't even get me started!! :mad: ) over at SAVE FARSCAPE (http://www.watchfarscape.com/), I was interested to read Ms Bonnie Hammer's (SCI FI Channel President) comments on some of the reasons why Farscape got the chop.

She reckoned that Farscape required too much intellectual investment to watch - basically it was too smart for 'SCI FI's perceived audience'.

And this is what she had to say about SCI FI's upcoming schedule:-
"If you're home and bored, man, this stuff is gonna keep your eyes open! I'm not sure that you'll be intellectually challenged, but you're not going to fall asleep!"
(see the thread here (http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6509))

Is anyone else truly frelled off about this dumbing down of science fiction (let alone TV in general)?!?!

I just don't get it. :(

Rigil Kent
18 January 2003, 05:53 PM
Yep. Farscape and Firefly, both gone. And we're stuck with Enterprise. :(

dgswensen
18 January 2003, 06:00 PM
Yeah, because Star Trek catapaulted to the top of the syndication ratings heap, spawned ten movies and five successful series because IT IS DUMB AS A BRICK.

Her argument holds water as long as you don't invoke logic or try citing any examples.

FVBonura
20 January 2003, 03:43 PM
I loved Farscape, and mourn its passing as well brother. :mad:
It was the closest thing to a TV series set in the STAR WARS universe (which I would love to see produced by the way). B)

If you want to send the TV networks a message, stop watching TV, and play more roleplaying games. I gave up on TV a long time ago. Its 95% trash. I spend most of my free time playing RPGs, surfing the web, and talking to you chaps. A much more stimulating pass time than reality TV. :rolleyes:

Master Droid
21 January 2003, 04:40 AM
Where do they get that Sci-Fi watcher are fools? All the of the Sci-fi watchers I know are intelligent.:raised:

Rigil Kent
21 January 2003, 06:04 AM
The people responsible for these decisions, Master Droid, are suits, not fans.

Best example: I was reading the Screenwriting guide by JMS (who did B5) and he related an incident with a "Suit" that occurred while he was writing for Jake and the Fatman. The Jake character had been pursuing a man for years and, when confronted, the man made the comment "you are my own personal Ahab." The suit asked JMS who Ahab was because there had been no reference to him previously.

darkvet
22 January 2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Rigil Kent
The suit asked JMS who Ahab was because there had been no reference to him previously.

I also gave up on TV a long time ago. But all I have to say is I guess the above explains why Survivor has had 4 seasons. . . .

Ardent
23 January 2003, 11:02 PM
Just MHO, but if I wanted to hear about psychodementia and paranoia approximus I'd pay more attention at family dinners. Farscape was getting pretty close to the line of ridiculousness as far as required knowledge to enjoy watching (I know I spent a lot of time explaining the theory behind some of the psycho-analytic mumbo-jumbo that cropped up to my fellow viewers). Which isn't to say it was entirely a bad direction for the show...just a bit overdone. Well overdone (they actually got more right than a typical medical drama does, but you'd have to have gotten to Psych 2 or 3 in college to know), but overdone nonetheless.

As far as what I watch now...um...Stargate SG-1. I'm not sure how I went so long without becoming a raving addict for this show, but I did. I'm hooked now, fortunately, and have spent a lot of time catching myself up...only about 50 episodes more I need to watch before I'm fully there...it's not a thinking man's show, admittedly, but it's fantastic nonetheless.

Master Droid
24 January 2003, 01:29 PM
Yes, I know about 'suits', Rigil . It just really gets to me.

BenWilbur
27 January 2003, 06:12 AM
I only watch Law Order or one of the spin offs...

Though Dragnet looks good.

Back in the day (High School that is) I watched two shows that influenced me for gaming Dr. Who and Guiding Light. Drove my players nuts....

" Hello, son, long time no see." Said the Imperial Captain as entered the YT-1300.

"Uhm, dad?" Says the confused player not realizing his characters father is an Imperial Captain.

" See your still hanging out with scum....."

Drove them batty...

Brendan_Sometimes
28 January 2003, 12:35 AM
It's just a miserable crying shame really.
Admittedly, Farscape IV did demand a lot of prior knowledge (or an extensive DVD collection) but to say it was beyond us to understand it is a bit much...

Then again, did they mean us fans or the general mono-browed public?