PDA

View Full Version : Ok, why do this?

stoic_75
20 January 2003, 06:27 PM
Why did benevolent Chancellor Palpatine suggest Obi-Wan and Anakin as bodyguards to Senator Amidala? He knew people were trying to kill her. Was he expecting them to fail in protecting her or succeed? My theory is he saw it as a way to play with young Anakin's emotions.

dgswensen
20 January 2003, 07:12 PM
Well, the following works quite nicely if you consider Sidious and Palpatine to be one and the same...

I suspect Palpatine knew of Anakin's feelings for Amidala (the fact that he knows Anakin's / Vader's feelings very well is firmly established in the classic trilogy). Therefore, he knew that putting Obi-Wan and Anakin in contact with Amidala would drive a wedge between the two Jedi, and also between Anakin and the Jedi Order.

And what's the first thing that happens when Anakin and Amidala meet again? He starts giving lip to Obi-Wan. Right away, the distance between the Jedi and his Padawan begins to grow.

And of course, not long after, there he is again carefully grooming Anakin's ego, further alienating him from his master.

My opinion is that Palpatine is merely setting the stage to isolate Anakin and complete his journey to the Dark Side.

Whether Amidala lives or dies is probably not that important to Palpatine -- he got what he wanted from her when he became Supreme Chancellor. I doubt she is of much use to him now.

Rogue Janson
21 January 2003, 03:23 AM
Hit the nail on the head dg.

Another thing to consider would be Anakin's reaction had he failed to protect Amidala (it was close). Naturally he'd be very unhappy and would probably blame himself and obi-wan for the failure.

Whether Amidala lives or dies is probably not that important to Palpatine -- he got what he wanted from her when he became Supreme Chancellor.
Palpatine wants Amidala out of the way because she leads the opposition to the militarisation of the Republic. He manages to achieve this without killing her by getting her to stay on Naboo; I can't remember whether or not Palpatine suggests this course though.
Also, by removing Amidala, he leaves room for his apprentice, Darth Bombad to take her place in the senate.

Jim Williams
21 January 2003, 04:09 AM
I concur---the rift immediately widened between Anikin and the person who was supposed to be the most important influence on him---Obi-Wan.

And getting her away from Coruscant achieved Palpatine's ends.

Rogue Janson, maybe this will remind you (the scene where all the Jedi and politicians BLEW their Sense Motive checks).

Pal: But who would have the courage to propose such a radical amendment?

Croney dude: If only Senator Amidala were here.

Master Droid
21 January 2003, 04:18 AM
Everything people have said in this thread I concur with. I think this discussion is about covered.:)

Codym
21 January 2003, 04:29 AM
Another thing to concider is the blow to the Jedi's reputation if Amidala had been murdered while under their protection. A secondary concideration to be sure (disrupting Anakin being the first,) but it would certainly help Palpatine achieve his long term goals.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
23 January 2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson

Also, by removing Amidala, he leaves room for his apprentice, Darth Bombad to take her place in the senate.

???

Did I miss something somewhere?

Rogue Janson
24 January 2003, 02:09 AM
Did I miss something somewhere?

Sorry, it's a lesser known Sith Lord. Think who stands in in the senate for Amidala while she's away.

Wedge in Red2
27 January 2003, 02:13 AM
LOL :D. In case you still didn't get it, here's a picture courtesy of the Starwars.com caption contest.

Rogue Janson
27 January 2003, 03:02 AM
That is one of the scariest things I've ever seen.

Wedge in Red2
27 January 2003, 03:13 AM
The scary thing is that the picture was posted in August 2002, and that someone already suggested a caption mentioning the title "Darth Bombad". You, by any chance, Rogue Janson? Or is the name Darth Bombad commonly associated with Mr Binks?

P.S. For those interested, the link where I picked up the picture is here (http://www.starwars.com/community/captions/2002/08/captions20020820.html). Some very funny captions were suggested.

Rogue Janson
27 January 2003, 04:19 AM
No, it wasn't me, I guess someone else had the same realisation me and my friends did, when watching AotC, that Jar-Jar was responsible for the downfall of the republic and also really Sith Lord. Darth Bombad is just the obvious name I suppose.