PDA

View Full Version : A SWRPGNetwork Chat Room

Wedge in Red2
21 January 2003, 03:56 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure if the idea has been suggested before, but as a possible addition to the holonet has a chat room been considered? I only thought of it because I saw someone on who I wanted to chat with without having to spend all the time PM'ing back and forth.

Cheers,

Jon

Moridin
21 January 2003, 06:30 AM
We had an IRC chat going for a while, but we couldn't find a web client that was reliable and our server shut down. However, if there's sufficient demand for reopening it, I'm sure we can.

Nafai
21 January 2003, 06:48 AM
We use HostedStuff.com at SWAG for people that don't have Trillian, mIRC, or any other IRC programs. It's free and has supported over 20 people, so if the Network does an IRC chat solution in the future, that might be viable.

Wedge in Red2
22 January 2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Moridin
However, if there's sufficient demand for reopening it, I'm sure we can.

Well, if anyone else is keen for this feature to be added, I guess they should post here and say so...

Jon

Kal_Myadon
24 January 2003, 09:58 AM
I think a chat room would be a good idea,

Kal

Showing his support

Talon Razor 'GM'
24 January 2003, 10:04 AM
I talk to lots of people on the SWAG one. It is fun to talk to the artists and stuff. I would like to see a Holonet version of the SWAG Chat!

Darklighter
24 January 2003, 02:02 PM
I think a chat room would be fun. It'd also be interesting to chat in real-time with some of the people I've shared comments, ideas, and PMs - a different way to get to know my fellow Holonetters. :)

coldskier0320
26 January 2003, 10:24 AM
I agree itd be a good idea, especially if you have a simple question that doesnt need a post or want to say something quick:D

Wedge in Red2
26 January 2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320
I agree itd be a good idea, especially if you have a simple question that doesnt need a post or want to say something quick:D

Yeah, my point exactly. Sometimes you just want to say "Hi, how's it going" to someone without needing to send them a PM and then wait for a reply.

Jon

Jedi Cahlwyn
27 January 2003, 04:13 AM
I would like to offer my support for a SWRPG Network chat room. I think it would be a wonderful addition to this site (as well as an adventure section). Moridin could host chats with devs (Like JD Wiker, etc.) and I think that would keep us satisfied in between each sourcebook release... especially if we have tidbits and questions answered in the chats.

It would also allow us all to get to know each other better and I know that it is easier to throw around GM advice, etc. when chatting live as opposed to posting messages.

So yes, a chat room would be great!

Armage Bedar
3 February 2003, 05:44 AM
Well, the response seems encouraging. Let it be said that we're working on this and hope to have something ready in the near future :-)

Wedge in Red2
5 February 2003, 07:51 PM
Cool, thanks Armage :).

VixenofVenus
5 February 2003, 09:47 PM
CHAT ROOM! CHAT ROOM!

There are tons of EASY to implement and VERY low-bandwidth Free Chat clients out there ... there are a few that don't use Java even ... I was researching em for my board, but we decided to just use a MSN Messenger chatroom ... hehe

We're small!

Talon Razor 'GM'
6 February 2003, 01:37 PM
Great! It will rock to have a chat room! I have enjoyed SWAG's to great extent! And, whatever!

Yes, I can't wait for one! Thanks Armage! You the dude!

mojo1701
6 February 2003, 02:28 PM
Chat Room, Chat Room!

Talon, I also like SWAG's chatroom. I have talked to a lot of people in it who have helped me with my artwork, esp. photoshop.

Seghast
8 February 2003, 08:09 PM
I'd suggest it be on the server I come from to help bolster our user base, since we've had issues with client theft that have left our numbers dwindling.

Pity that the server is currently down for upgrades. This downtime will probably kill off our remaining users.

XavierDrgn
26 February 2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Armage Bedar
Well, the response seems encouraging. Let it be said that we're working on this and hope to have something ready in the near future :-)

Thanx for listening to all of us Armage.

Having said that, i do have some thoughts. the first one that comes to mind is...ABUSE. will there be a MOD on at all times to secure the chat channel from less colorful comments and thoughts? ya go to other chat sites and get alot of inferior beings(to quote my emperor) making a mess of the normal conversations going on. debate is healthy when it leads to constructive criticism, but when it deteriates into a kindergarten shouting match is when it ceases to be fun IMO.

And will there chat places to do private ones so as to not disturb anyone who may be offended by the topic or not want to know the topic?

Challenging the Council
Xavier D'rgn:raised:

Armage Bedar
27 February 2003, 04:12 AM
Don't worry, we're well aware of this issue and we've planned for it. I was hoping to get the channel live soon, but I'm waiting on one or two things before I actually do it.

Corran Horn
27 February 2003, 08:53 AM
Hi, I have just joined yesterday and I need advice on what type of mission to start my campaine.

Corran Horn
27 February 2003, 08:56 AM
Is anyone on?

Ravager_of_worlds
27 February 2003, 08:57 AM
not to sound like a party pooper... but i'll voice that the reason i've found the holonet so useful is that posts are encouraged to be thoughtful and address the needs of the community. i'm often dismayed by the ettiquette in most chat rooms that i totally avoid them now. I have no problem avoiding any holonet chat room, i'm just a bit leery about what a chatroom will do to current thread posting- will it leech people away from the board? in my experience, chat rooms have been nothing but walks on a napalmed beach.

i bring this up because a number of us notice a cycle in the holonet- when a new supplement comes out, traffic picks up as we (as a community) digest the new information and pick it apart for our own games. Then the community slacks off for lack of subjects- i remember a particular Rant in Rants and Raves that deals with this idea actually (FlipDog was the author and is a keen observer imo)

i'd hate to see current users picking up habits in the chat room (like netspeak) and transferring it over to the threads. i'd really hate to see new users popping out of the woodwork and partying like 1999... as it is, i see this community as generally a secure, quiet neighborhood of the net that i can come to for peer review to questions i have or just to get another informed opinion on game rules.

don't get me wrong, i'm in favor of anything that will 'enhance the community' and certainly if there is a need for such a service, then i'm all for seeing them met.

Corran Horn
27 February 2003, 09:01 AM
What does that have to do with my question?:) :bothan:

Chris Curtis
27 February 2003, 09:33 AM
Corran, you posted your question in a thread devoted to a completely different topic. The more appropriate question would be "What does your question have to do with a SWRPGNetwork chat room"?

I suggest that you go look in the Gamemaster Discussion forum. There's lots of information already there. If you can't find an answer, then you can post a new thread in that forum.

Nova Spice
27 February 2003, 04:35 PM
A chat room has its pluses IMO:

Pros:
-A chance to talk real-time with some of the cool people on the Holonet
-A chance to discuss SWRPG and SW issues in a room full of Star Wars minds and fans
-A chance to talk directly with Moderators and Admins about ideas, problems, or topics of interest
-A chance to talk about non-Star Wars issues with fellow Star Wars fans in a real-time chat

Cons:
-Could cause animosity between people as real time chats are often fast-paced and many people are far more blunt when discussing issues in a "room" full of others
-Could cause negative feedback of members by other members to the Admins or Moderators for behavior that is normally not found on the Holonet
-Could cause trends or ideas that are detrimental to community growth

Every idea has its ups and downs. I suppose it all comes down to how people will handle themselves in a chat. Will they act appropriately and politely? Or will they be immature and reckless?

Its a risk that comes with everything..... ;)

starkiller210
17 May 2003, 07:14 AM
This site definately needs a chatroom
With it you could easily play online games instead of Posting at traders infonet and taking a week or so to organize one.

Crymoon
18 May 2003, 10:53 PM
CHAT CHAT CHAT!!!!!
And though I can't attend chats now... (my webmaster blocks all kinds of chats) I'll have a connection at home soon (so I hope ...and ddream.. :D) and then will be able to chat...

There are often many little not very importatnt questions that i don not ask as I know that I'll get the naswer the next day... the chat would enable me to do just that...

As for ppl who can't behave you always have mods who will be able to kick them out... A chat room is quite democratic but evben in a democracy you can say everything... It will be just importatnt for the mods to be mentaly well balanced... :D

coldskier0320
19 May 2003, 03:57 AM
Yeah, and i think most of the longstanding members of the holonet (like, at least 2 or 3 months of posting) are responsible enough for a chat. The only one's that'd become annoying are the people that sign on, flame everyone, then leave. To counteract this, maybe there might be a seniority limit (like 100 or so posts) until someone can access the chat. Its not that hard to attain if youre really serious about being an active member of the HoloNet but the newbies that just want to create dissent wont be able to do so until theyve put some time into the boards.

Just a thought, coldskier out.

Crymoon
19 May 2003, 04:08 AM
How about 400 posts.. that would leave the only the best possible mods... (us :D)

But seriously 400 posts would do nice I think.. as it is really difficult to make it without either posting quite frequently or being here for a long time. It would be difficult even for the most crazy ones who'd try to attain that limit only to be able to wreck havoc in the chat... You could of course have to mod types.. senior and junior mods... senior being mods of holonet and junior the rest over 400 posts from holonet members... :D

I have chated some time ago and there were some guys who came in only to play stupid games and some of them were quite patient, that's why I'd change cold's 100 to 400...

Rogue Janson
19 May 2003, 06:47 AM
If you made chat room use conditional on post number, I'm sure you'd soon get people posting rubbish just to get their post count up, which wouldn't be good.

Having said that, a chat room would be really nice, despite the potential difficulties.

coldskier0320
19 May 2003, 07:05 AM
True, i didnt consider that eventuality...hmmm...an interesting situation this is...possibly just time on the HoloNet? Or maybe someone has to apply to Moridin, and he hasta approve them? I don't know, im just saying i love the idea of a HoloNet chat:D

kevin
19 May 2003, 07:52 AM
Get a chat room!

Crymoon
19 May 2003, 10:34 PM
So maybe the Inner Circle of holonet could just give somebody the rights to asign mods in a chat room... That way we wouldn't give additional work to the ones that have enough of it.

Wedge in Red2
20 May 2003, 04:53 AM
Or maybe the Moderators could just moderate the chat room ;). Admittedly, this might mean a lot more work for the moderators. Perhaps we'd need to set up some sort of roster of who covers when. Or perhaps we just have the chatroom inaccessable when there are no Mods logged on.

All possibilities. But at the moment, the final decision rests with the administration and what works for them.

Jon

P.S. I don't think post count should determine moderatorship (if that's even a word :)). Post count doesn't indicate whether a person possesses the attributes a good moderator (chat room or otherwise) needs. That is why apointment to the position of moderator is not dependent upon whoever has been on the Holonet the longest or posted the most - because it is other attributes that are more important than that.

mojo1701
20 May 2003, 05:58 PM
Maybe Chat Mods could be assigned by rank, or application, after meeting certain criteria:

1. Post #
2. Rank
3. Respect (haven't started any flame wars, etc.)

Crymoon
20 May 2003, 11:08 PM
I'll be willing to take on moderating a room.. :D

But I'd go with #post and time and respect... but it would be easiest if the holonet Inner circle assigned mods..

coldskier0320
21 May 2003, 03:09 AM
Yeah, maybe there could be a 'lesser circle' of mods just for the chat, that way, it would be up more often if they decided to disable it when no mods were on. Maybe anyone who the present Mods think would make a good 'lesser mod' with experience on the HoloNet can be approached by the mods and asked if they would like to be part of the 'collective chat moderator'. Just another thought!:)

Kanner Ra'an
21 May 2003, 12:00 PM
I really like the idea of a chatroom. For moderation i'd love to do it:D . Maybe have a bunch of volenteers who would be willing to alternate moderating say between 9-10, 10-11, etc. Just an idea.

starkiller210
4 June 2003, 09:07 AM
We want a chat room!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As ordered by the Emperor himself

ElfWord
4 June 2003, 10:04 AM
A few things I'd like to point out:
1) Having people apply to Moridin would not only take up his time, but result in a rash of new people applying over and over again, or arguing if they were rejected. This isn't really practical.
2) Post count I don't think is a good requirement because people already post tons of frivilous posts to get their post count up and gain rank, having post count as a requirement would only increase the needless posting.
3) While I understand the need for keeping the peace, the way to do this is not to ban newbies from the chats or make a requirement to be in the chats. A SWRPGNetwork chat should not be in any way elite, as that would degrade the community atmosphere. Having moderators in the chat that can kick out and/or ban people is an effective deterrent and stop to flames, profanity, and other general rubbish.
4) Having the same people who pick the board moderators pick the chat moderators seems like a good idea to me.
5) Playing games inside the chat would be pretty difficult IMO. Lots of people who don't want to play will also be in the room chatting, and the group playing would likely find it distracting, possibly even switching between typing something pertaining to the game and something pertaining to the general chat, adding to the confusion.
6) While an official chat room is a great idea, Armage and others are busy people. Until we get one, take a look at the alternatives available. A lot of the people on the boards use AOL Instant Messenger, which allows you to create your own chats and invite people. You can even send an invitation to yourself to join a chat. If people are interested, why not start a new thread in Chaos & Misc where people can post times for a chat. As a matter of fact, I'll do that now. :D

Wedge in Red2
5 June 2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by starkiller210

I don't really think you're in any sort of position to be making demands. The Holonet is provided free of charge to it's members, and the admins are the ones who decide what functions it does and doesn't have. While you can ask for a chat room (as I did), demanding one is not likely to get a favourable response. As in real life, it may in fact create the opposite affect.

As for the timing, I'm sure IF it happens it will happen WHEN the admins have the time to deal with it. I know Armage has been out of touch quite a bit recently, and Moridin has been busy working on his RPG career.

Jon

mojo1701
5 June 2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Wedge in Red2
I don't really think you're in any sort of position to be making demands. The Holonet is provided free of charge to it's members, and the admins are the ones who decide what functions it does and doesn't have. While you can ask for a chat room (as I did), demanding one is not likely to get a favourable response. As in real life, it may in fact create the opposite affect.

I agree. It's not our place here to demand anything, besides the odd suggestion improvement. If the suggestion is valid, the mods will get to it. If not, then no one's forcing you to stay here.

If a chat room does not go up, I think it's safe to say that we can live without it. It's like hanging up a painting in our home here. It's nice, but it's not exactly something we must have or must do. If it's there, then it's there for the enjoyment of all, not because someone says so, or someone "demands" it.

Originally posted by starkiller210:

As for outbursts like this, I know it's not my place to do this, but I would please ask you to not do this. It just diminishes the credibility of the site and other associated things.

Thanks for your time.

Tossk
6 June 2003, 02:59 AM
I belive he meant that in a joking fashion; Wedge2 in Red, and mojo1701.

I would personnally love to see such a chat room, but it is lower on my list of desires than the upkeep of the current four sites, and that is being troubleshoted long before I even posted this due to this dillegent staff of payless Admins and Mods.;)

mojo1701
6 June 2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Tossk
I belive he meant that in a joking fashion; Wedge2 in Red, and mojo1701.

Maybe, but I've noticed him do that a lot, and it just seems so childish (although I haven't checked his profile now, he may be or may not be, I still stand by what I said) sometimes, when anyone does that, especially with all those exclamation points!!!!!!!!!! (I was only doing that to prove my point.)

Crymoon
9 June 2003, 03:25 AM
I'll believ that Tossk is right that it was meant as a joke... at least I hope so though the use of smilies would clear it up...

it sometimes difficult to express yourselves in writing... but the smilies IMHO realy clear things up... at least agagin I hope so as I do try to use them to show what I mean...

And just to prove my point:

We want the chat room!!!!!!! :D

as compared to:

We want the chat room!!!!!!

hope it was helpful to any one... {b]star[/b] :)