PDA

View Full Version : Palpatine's powers that nobody talks about.

Arcome
22 January 2003, 05:56 AM
I just want some more nasty little powers that Palpatine has that nobody talks about. For example, how he can take out your soul and put it in another body. For those of you that don't read the books, yes he can do stuff like that. He once tortured a traitor by feeding him to man eating bugs, then made clones of him and as soon as the his captives life signs failed, he would just switch the soul to a clone. He could also shoot lightning 600 METERS!!! Pretty nice distance if you as me. If any other experts remember more it would be really helpful to me. thanks

ElfWord
26 January 2003, 11:44 AM
Well, he was able to inspire the entire Empire and it's troops through the Force, without anyone noticing(except after he died they noticed the lack of it). Don't forget about his ability to mentally communicate with his Hands anywhere in the galaxy. I'll post if I think of any more. Nice topic!

Arcome
26 January 2003, 12:04 PM
I really want everyone to know just how powerful a sith master can be. Exar Kun was powerful in the force but, Palpatine could just sit around and experiment. If Vader knew what the Emperor was actually capable of, he would have known better that to challenge him. Palpatines only down fall...he didn't have force flight. Palpatine could communicate with his hands (Mara Jade) anywhere within the Empire like Elfword said before. The reason also that the Emperal Fleet lost at Endor, was because the pilots no longer were being manipulated through the force by the Emperor, same goes for the commanders.

Vanger Chevane
26 January 2003, 12:52 PM
the Battleforce Coordination evidenced by Palpatine, and later Joruus C'Baoth in the Thrawn trilogy is plainly a skill of no small worth or difficulty.

IMHO such a Force Skill wouldn't be reserved for the Dark Side, and could be used to great effect by a few Jedi Masters as well. Perhaps it actually was to some extent during the Clone Wars.

Darth Fury
26 January 2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane
the Battleforce Coordination evidenced by Palpatine, and later Joruus C'Baoth in the Thrawn trilogy is plainly a skill of no small worth or difficulty.

IMHO such a Force Skill wouldn't be reserved for the Dark Side, and could be used to great effect by a few Jedi Masters as well. Perhaps it actually was to some extent during the Clone Wars.

I think if your going to use this power as a light-sider any bonuses should be added to defence and saves but not attacks.

Rogue Janson
26 January 2003, 01:24 PM
Delving a bit off topic here, but for a light-sider, that would be covered by battle meditation, or some souped up version of it. There's a similar power available to dark siders/sith lords that I can't remember the name of and it also has negative effects when ended. Again, it'd probably need making considerably more powerful to affect a whole fleet though.

Grimace
28 January 2003, 06:30 PM
Another thing that Palpatine could do was create monsters either directly from the Dark Side, or pervert normal life forms into a monster of the Dark Side. For this, one would have to assume that he could genetically manipulate currently living life forms.

Arcome
29 January 2003, 05:39 AM
That's in the rules for the RPG, alchemy. I'm looking for something that would make Yoda crap his robes, and make Mace say "Your on your own pal." I still like what you added though, about creating creatures straight from the darkside.

Jaggard
29 January 2003, 10:05 AM
well if he can genetically and physically alter forms he could do a lot of stuff. Turn storm troopers into harem slaves if they failed him. A full frontal labotamy, rig a brain like Dengars (increase speed and strength, and remove all emotions but fear and hate). Riddle a body with cancer or it's equivilant. create a parasitic twin who grows til they switch dominance and it slowly consumes you leaving a doppleganger.Ect...

Rogue Janson
29 January 2003, 10:29 AM
The way it's described, alchemically mutating stuff is more an arcane art than a science like genetic engineering. But there's still plenty of potential for making nasty stuff, just even greater potential for horrendous and nasty screw-ups.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
29 January 2003, 08:00 PM
another hidden darkside power of palpatine's ....

The ability to force slap and force pinch female tushes :D Palpatine may have been an old emperor, but i'll bet my last two creds he was a wiley old one :D

coldskier0320
30 January 2003, 04:37 AM
First of all, TJ&R , that's great, lmao. Also, wouldnt that battle coordination (mentioned above) be a dark side ability, i mean, i could be wrong but i think thats a little intrusive for a Jedi to use, Comments?:?

Rogue Janson
30 January 2003, 04:46 AM
The jedi battle meditation works in a different way to a Sith Lord's power. Whereas the Sith Lord directly controls and interferes with the actions of their minions, jedi battle meditation just augments people's abilities, strengthening their will, making them more aware and stuff. So it's not really intruding, just helping.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
30 January 2003, 05:10 PM
Ok, i'm serious now.

Palpatine used his darkside abilities to make Vader into his personal puppet. I serriously doubt Vader had much if any free will, just pure loyal obediance. (Vader always knelt down before the emporer's pressence in every holo transmision)

That indicates Palpatine could literallly lobotomize someones mind (block or erase memories, shutdown or disable certain parts of the brain....)

That makes me wonder, if Palpatine didn't do that to some others like Tarkin (nix tarkin's humanity replaced with coldness & destruction). Theres a certain deviousness in that - using a pupet like Tarkin to carry out the empires worst atrocities, adding to the empire's image while tarkin's name gets looked down upon...

The only thing I can't figure out is this: if the more a person uses the darkside since its fast and readily availble to use when becomeing tainted. Then over time becomes harder to wield with personal side efects like advanced aging and such... Then Just how was the emporer able to sustain himself and still wield so much power? Was Paplatine truly such a darkside master that he was able to circumvent the normal rules of darkside powers???

LL|Jerk
30 January 2003, 05:32 PM
regarding jedi battle meditation (or at least the sith version of it), i would like to see it used in Episode 3 by the Emperor.

thoughts?

Arcome
31 January 2003, 08:50 AM
I really don't think that the Emperor did anything to Vader. Anakin liked the way Palpatine was doing things when he was still a jedi. I think that Vader is more like a little puppy, does everything the Emperor wants without having to know why and usually not caring as long as it pleased his master. As far as Tarkin being a puppet, how do you think he got to be a grand admiral. Palpatine choose Tarkin because he could manipulate him to do what he wants. Tarkin was also very intelligent.

As far as the Emperor being able to live for so long, the sith masters of old lived a very long time, they were true sith thoough. I think that the Emperor might be related to the sith, even if the blood from the sith isn't that potent in his own blood he could be a distant relative.

I can probably answer any more questions you have, so please ask.

Dan Kyrinov
31 January 2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Arcome
For example, how he can take out your soul and put it in another body. For those of you that don't read the books, yes he can do stuff like that. He once tortured a traitor by feeding him to man eating bugs, then made clones of him and as soon as the his captives life signs failed, he would just switch the soul to a clone.

This happened in Darksaber and it was not actually Palpatine's own power alone that was responsible. We can speculate he used some kind of Sith alchemical process to create the clone, but for moving Bevel Lemelisk's soul, he was using an artifact left over from the Jedi Purge. During Bevel's first awakening, he first sees his dead first body and then Palpatine caressing some nasty little artifact. Palpatine claims he learned the technique from a Jedi, but that it took some torture to get it out of him. I can't help but wonder what the Jedi used this for, however. Maybe it has a benign or life-giving use that Palpatine corrupted. Who knows what other Force-imbued artifacts Palpatine kept? Since Wayland and Byss were taken out, we may never know just how many powerful items he owned.

Rogue Janson
1 February 2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by LL|Jerk
regarding jedi battle meditation (or at least the sith version of it), i would like to see it used in Episode 3 by the Emperor.

thoughts?

I don't think that's likely. Unless it was mentioned in the RotJ novelisation (I don't think it was, but the book was too painful to read thoroughly), Palpatine's control is an entirely EU idea, first mentioned in the Thrawn trilogy. So we're not likely to see it in ep3.

Vanger Chevane
2 February 2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar & Raven
Ok, i'm serious now.

Palpatine used his darkside abilities to make Vader into his personal puppet. I serriously doubt Vader had much if any free will, just pure loyal obediance. (Vader always knelt down before the emporer's pressence in every holo transmision)

Part of that has to be that Sith, being Darksiders and Evil, rule more by fear than loyalty. Vader/Anikin is loyal to Palpatine partly as he knows, and fears, what the Emperor will do to him if he fails.

That indicates Palpatine could literallly lobotomize someones mind (block or erase memories, shutdown or disable certain parts of the brain....)

That makes me wonder, if Palpatine didn't do that to some others like Tarkin (nix tarkin's humanity replaced with coldness & destruction). Theres a certain deviousness in that - using a pupet like Tarkin to carry out the empires worst atrocities, adding to the empire's image while tarkin's name gets looked down upon...

The only thing I can't figure out is this: if the more a person uses the darkside since its fast and readily availble to use when becomeing tainted. Then over time becomes harder to wield with personal side efects like advanced aging and such... Then Just how was the emporer able to sustain himself and still wield so much power? Was Paplatine truly such a darkside master that he was able to circumvent the normal rules of darkside powers???

It could be that he's somehow feeding off people's vitality in some way as part of the process. Instead of repressing any sort of Humanity Tarkin had, Palpatine fed off it reducing Tarkin's ability, and sustaining himself on it in the process.

A nice and rather Vampiric solution. :p

coldskier0320
5 February 2003, 04:23 AM
OK, i cant seem to get the quote thing to work right but in response to Dan , its also quite possible that the Emperor was really lying im not saying it has to be that but he was a pretty slippery old guy, just a thought:)

Arcome
5 February 2003, 05:33 AM
What would he be lying about and who would he be lying to beside just about all the senate.

coldskier0320
5 February 2003, 07:29 AM
No, No, I mean lying to that scientist guy in darksaber about learning the life switch thing from a Jedi

Arcome
5 February 2003, 08:29 AM
Oh, I had no idea what you were talking about, I have to read that book...on of many I need to read.

Pel
5 February 2003, 09:30 PM
Well, two immediately spring to mind:

Drain Life Essence: basically subsist upon the life energies of several million followers (or a few unwilling prisoners).

Create Force Storms: mega nasty. Rip a hole in space to channel the Dark Side into a swirling vortex. Black Holes with an attitude.

Arcome
6 February 2003, 09:14 AM
Those are some nice ones, but no I'm not fighting him, I'm using him in my game and I would like him to do some stuff that nobody expects could be done with the dark side, if there is a dark side...thanks

Darth Fury
7 February 2003, 07:22 AM
Well, I've been working on some home brew Force powers for d20. Nothing fancy, I just took a page from my D&D Dm's guide and started making most of the existing Force powers (Feats + Skills) reverseable.
i.e. Affect Mind=Focus Mind, Friendship=Animosity, Fear=Bravery, Heal Another=Harm, Alchemy=Apothocary, Drian Energy= Energize, Light=Darkness, Battle Influence=Chaos, Force Lightning=E/M Pulse etc.
I'm not going to post any of these yet b/c im not done with them yet, but maybe when I,m done I will.:raised:

Pel
8 February 2003, 09:48 AM
Ok, if you're really looking for some different mojo, try this:

Several years ago, I ended a long-term campaign with my original group of 1st Ed. players. These guys had achieved cosmic levels of Force powers and blaster accuracy, so to cap the end of a long and fruitful journey, I created Ragnarok.

The Emperor kills Luke, Leia, and most of the other principal Rebels. Vader completely loses his tenuous grip on sanity and gives himself completely over to the Dark Side. He then consumes the Emperor (literally drains the Dark Side right out of him), and begins to systematically destroy everything in sight.
The real killer (pun intended) came from Master Yoda's maxim that "Size matters not". Our friend Annie began inducing compression waves inside stellar cores (instant supernova) and hurl whole planets from their respective orbits (Coruscant in the side pocket ;) ).
Needless to say, the players' expressions were priceless B)

Vanger Chevane
9 February 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Darth Fury
Well, I've been working on some home brew Force powers for d20. Nothing fancy, I just took a page from my D&D Dm's guide and started making most of the existing Force powers (Feats + Skills) reverseable.

I think I've come up with an idea for the ""flip-side" of a Sith Skill.

Check it out here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10915&highlight=Light+Side+Force+Skills).