PDA

View Full Version : Submissions Query

Donovan Morningfire
27 January 2003, 02:45 PM
To the editors of the Star Wars Online Journal:
First off, nice work. Keep it up guys.

Now, the question at hand. I know about the submission web page (the "write your submission in the box" page), but what do those of us with significantly larger submissions do? I'm pretty darn sure that the Infinities SW setting that Owen "K.C" Stephens and another dude worked on wasn't submitted via that dinky little box.

To be frank, I've been considering submitting more fan-fic stuff (as I get it finished; Ris can vouch for my current lack of progress in that field), and the stuff I write ain't exactly short. But if I have to submit larger stories piecemeal through that webpage, then I probably won't bother.

That said, is there an e-mail addy that people can send submissions to?

Thanks for your time.

evan hansen
27 January 2003, 04:03 PM
Just an FYI: The "other dude" you speak of is Derek "AxiusTheDark" Thompson, the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal. :D

Nafai
27 January 2003, 06:10 PM
Donovan, that submission form is the only offical way to get a submission to us. Previously we accepted submissions via email, but the form is the only way we can guarantee that the entire staff gets to look it over. That box can handle 64k worth of characters, so that's quite a bit. More than a standard magazine article, anyway. ;)

If you have something larger that you'd like to submit, just break it up into multiple submissions, noting that they are 1 of 2 and 2 of 2, etc.

Also, if you think you'll hit this character limit, put an {END} at the very bottom. This will let us know that we actually received the full contents of the submission--if you go over the 64k and don't put this, it will just truncate your entry and we won't know if we received it all or not.

I apologize for the current limitations, but this is a lot more than what was available originally, and our present database set up just does not allow for a field that exceeds that many characters. This doesn't affect the majority of submissions, because as I mentioned, that's generally larger than what we would use for an article anyway, and anything larger would likely get split into multiple issues.